concealed carry permit info

airmanwilliams

I am thinking of getting my concealed carry permit soon and wondered if anyone can share alittle info on the class.

Price range?
where to take?
time it takes?

etc.......

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I took mine at Doug's Shoot 'n' Sports, it was years ago so I don't remember how much, but it was a couple hours

Caleb

I took mine at Doug's Shoot 'n' Sports, it was years ago so I don't remember how much, but it was a couple hours

I took mine at Doug's as well. I believe it was $40. The thing I like about Doug's is they require you to take a gun to class and you go shoot it for part of the class. Most classes they don't allow you to take a gun to class. They may pass around the instructor's gun or they may pass around a plastic replica...but neither do you any good to show you know how to handle your own weapon.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
When I took mine it cost about $50 and it was at some guy's home, took about 4 hours. We handled a few different handguns and he gave us scenarios and asked us how we would respond etc. It included the photo and fingerprints card but no fingerprints because he claims that most of the delays that occur is because the fingerprints turn out smudgy or not very clear, so I had to get my fingerprints done at the sherrif's office on an electronic scanner that printed them onto the card. Which it did in fact take them a few tries on a couple of my fingers to get a 'clear' reading on them.

sixstringsteve

be advised that the actual permit and BCI background check ends up costing more than the class, but the classes are very affordable. I took mine with my wife and it was exactly what she needed.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I would recommend getting your finger prints done at BCI when you turn in your app. It's the same cost as everywhere else, and ultimately they are the judge if yours are acceptable. They also do the electronic scanner so no messy ink.

dutchman

KI7KSV
be advised that the actual permit and BCI background check ends up costing more than the class, but the classes are very affordable. I took mine with my wife and it was exactly what she needed.

This. Also, plan on waiting about 6 weeks for your permit to show up once your paperwork is submitted.

Caleb

I would recommend getting your finger prints done at BCI when you turn in your app. It's the same cost as everywhere else, and ultimately they are the judge if yours are acceptable. They also do the electronic scanner so no messy ink.

Exactly what I did as well. They also give you extra copies of your fingerprint cards. It took me all of about 20 mins at the BCI Office to get everything done. At Doug's they also go over all the paperwork you need and make sure it's all filled out correctly. So once you turn it in, as long as you pass the background check, it's pretty much a done deal.

blznnp

I got mine from casey davies, he actually just started a company called Frontline Guns an Ammo based out of west jordan. If you buy a gun from him he will throw in a certificate to attend one of his CCW classes, so you can get it for free. really good instructor but it would have been nice to have taken the class and done some shooting at the same time, but I wont complain.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Hill airforce base outdoor rec has a class every so often that costs military personel only 25 bucks and takes about 4 hours. You have to sign up and once they get enough people they have the class...

When I lived in Wyoming I just took my DD214 (shows weapons training) into the sheriffs office and had them take fingerprints and then sent the whole packet off and 6 weeks and $75 later I had my permit.... unfortunately Utah doesn't recognize it...

skeptic

I'm taking a CCW class today at the new Salvo Guns in Layton, when I signed up this last weekend they said they didn't expect the class to be full. It's $60, and they do finger prints, get the forms all filled out, and whatever else is required so all you have to do is send the paperwork in with a check. Impact guns is the same deal for $60 as well, but they give you 5 free lane rentals ($10 each), so if you are shooting there anyway it really only costs you $10. Salvo Guns is new and right around the corner from me, so I'm "supporting the local business" by going through them. In the grand scheme of things, whether the class costs $10 or $60 it really doesn't matter.

Every place I've talked to says the class is about 4 hours long. Odd thing about UT, shooting is not required and until I saw Caleb's post above I have never heard of a UT CCW class where actual shooting is included. I kinda wish it was, another excuse to shoot, plus one of the other instructors sitting in on the CCW class is a shooting instructor. I've never had a shooting class of any kind, I'm sure I have all kinds of bad habits and other "wrongnesses" that an actual instructor could point out.

rholbrook

I have the number of a guy who will come to you if you have atleast 10 people. He has done them for me twice in the past. He and his wife even come prepared with finger printers. You literally only have to place your check in the envelope to mail out. Very easy. PM me if you want his contact info. He lives in S Salt Lake somewhere.

pELYgroso

'Merica
For people looking in the UT valley area, I took mine at Compact Firearms in lehi. The instructor was great, and he included a few hours of shooting instruction at the Provo range (which is probably closed for the season). Great instructor and a good guy to deal with for gun/ammo needs.

airmanwilliams

Thank you all for the info, ill be sending some of you a pm soon when I am ready to go ahead with this.

I heard today that more states are not accepting our permits and its continually going down because we dont have to shoot. Is this true?

airmanwilliams

That and they are tired of losing the revenue by not selling their own permits

Let me ask you this sir, what happens if we go through a state not knowing if they accept our permit and they catch us with a concealed gun? if we are pulled over and hand them our permit are they going to pull us out of our vehicle and take us to jail if we are carrying?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Let me ask you this sir, what happens if we go through a state not knowing if they accept our permit and they catch us with a concealed gun? if we are pulled over and hand them our permit are they going to pull us out of our vehicle and take us to jail if we are carrying?

Just know the laws where you are going, before I took my gun on road trips to other states I would print out a copy of the reciprocity from that state and keep it in my car. When I got to a state that didn't accept our permit I would simply unload my weapon and store it.