Considering selling my GMC...

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
(These posts have been moved from my build thread)

The honest truth is, this truck is way overbuilt and it's a bit much for my needs... while it's not super-tall, it is still quite big. I'm debating what's going to happen in the future with the GMC... :ugh:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
....The honest truth is, this truck is way overbuilt and it's a bit much for my needs... while it's not super-tall, it is still quite big. I'm debating what's going to happen in the future with the GMC... :ugh:

Stink. I was hoping it'd work out quite well. I'm probably snagging a '96 PowerJoke for to good of a deal. Ext. cab longbed with ton axle swap (4.10). Thinking it's pretty much what you've done but oil burner version. Thought I'd be following the cool kids :D

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The honest truth is, this truck is way overbuilt and it's a bit much for my needs... while it's not super-tall, it is still quite big. I'm debating what's going to happen in the future with the GMC... :ugh:

Thats a bummer to hear Greg, its a super cool project. I love the full-size off-roading. I would probably have one if I had a bigger garage. As is my garage just fits my JKU. Hope you can get it all working right and out on the trail soon, and have it change your mind

LT.

I am bummed to hear Greg think that way myself. I thought the idea was to have a truck that was a jack of all trades master of none. To which I think this truck is. Overbuilt, no way. Built well, hell ya. I would be very excited to own this truck!

LT.

sixstringsteve

Honestly, that's where I'd be too. I'm not surprised you arrived here. I'll bet it was a good learning experience. I always learn more about what I want in a rig with each one. The more I modify rigs, the more I want to keep them close to stock. Being able to drive @ 75 mph on the freeway is really a necessity for me with these types of rigs. If you're constantly fighting for more power to cruise the freeway, that's going to get old. And there's no sense throwing money at a rig you aren't absolutely in love with.

What about a 2nd gen Tundra like clfnracwby's?

lewis

Fight Till You Die

I saw this coming from miles away. Too bad I already went out and bought one.

blznnp

man, if you decide to sell it, which would be sad, I would love to pick it up from you if I have the money. I had a 95 that was SAS but on 3/4 ton axles and 44" tires, favorite truck so far. Your truck is set up so much nicer than mine was (I didn't know much about the SAS stuff and it was built before I bought it). The weight seems pretty good too.

sixstringsteve

That really is a great looking truck Greg. I recommend taking it on a few good trips to see if you end up bonding with it.

sixstringsteve

Maybe these pics will help you stay motivated to keep it. :D

2011-10-14_15-21-55_464.jpg

2011-10-14_18-40-07_771.jpg

That really is a great looking truck Greg. I recommend taking it on a few good trips to see if you end up bonding with it.

Yup, I'd drive it. I'd drive the hey out of it. Perfect backcountry rig in my book (with all due respect to the doublecab folks here). Yes it's bigger than some, but capable and durable and comfortable. I loved my '95 xcab-shorty. Love the supercrew I drive now. That thing is a beast and would do 80% of what I like to do, and probably pull the jeep for the other 10% (can't do that with a dc). Getting 8 people in it for the final 10% might be tough...

mbryson

Supporting Member
Marc, you ARE one of the cool kids!! Mr Magazine Feature... sporting a killer JK on the side! The Powerstroke sounds neat, hopefully it works out for you. I'd like to hear more when you get it.......

I thought of your truck when I went to look at it. It's an F250 ext. cab longbed with swapped in 4.10 ratio F350 axles. Running 35" tires (315s I think). It's not super tall, but maybe a little shorter than yours. Thinking of dumping the K5 ( :rolleyes: I'm just a carb and brakes away from taking it up to get inspected :rolleyes: ) I've been working on for Corbin (16 yr. old) and letting him drive the truck (deezel truck in high school.....I wouldn't trust me with it, but I might trust him????) It's got a LOT of miles but we just checked cylinder pressures and they are in pretty good shape. Just worried a little about the auto trans. Might just have to throw some $ at it and run it for a while. It's not super pretty or anything, but is kind of cool in a rough sort of way (matches my "Jeep"?) Mismatched doors (they're all white, but one has chrome trim, the other a red stripe:busted:), the seats need some work, etc. Good starting place for the $ and I don't have to steal mom's Lincoln to tow with. Now I want my 26' trailer back....

I liked my RTT a lot but it kind of sucked with my knees. I thought I'd be better off with a "normal" tent, but they are just the same on my knees and not quite as fast to setup. Easier to get dirty as well. Lots of thoughts going through my head about the truck, RTT, camping, etc. Could be fun to have a few of us with big pigs, ton axles and camping gear?

Not to be that guy, but what if you linked the front up? I'd imagine that'd change the whole personality of the truck (made me buy a Dodge) for the better. Use some Dodge truck coils and build the rest?

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Keep it. Overbuilt is better than under built.

You've got a point there!

I thought of your truck when I went to look at it. It's an F250 ext. cab longbed with swapped in 4.10 ratio F350 axles. Running 35" tires (315s I think). It's not super tall, but maybe a little shorter than yours. Thinking of dumping the K5 ( :rolleyes: I'm just a carb and brakes away from taking it up to get inspected :rolleyes: ) I've been working on for Corbin (16 yr. old) and letting him drive the truck (deezel truck in high school.....I wouldn't trust me with it, but I might trust him????) It's got a LOT of miles but we just checked cylinder pressures and they are in pretty good shape. Just worried a little about the auto trans. Might just have to throw some $ at it and run it for a while. It's not super pretty or anything, but is kind of cool in a rough sort of way (matches my "Jeep"?) Mismatched doors (they're all white, but one has chrome trim, the other a red stripe:busted:), the seats need some work, etc. Good starting place for the $ and I don't have to steal mom's Lincoln to tow with. Now I want my 26' trailer back....

I liked my RTT a lot but it kind of sucked with my knees. I thought I'd be better off with a "normal" tent, but they are just the same on my knees and not quite as fast to setup. Easier to get dirty as well. Lots of thoughts going through my head about the truck, RTT, camping, etc. Could be fun to have a few of us with big pigs, ton axles and camping gear?

Not to be that guy, but what if you linked the front up? I'd imagine that'd change the whole personality of the truck (made me buy a Dodge) for the better. Use some Dodge truck coils and build the rest?

Wow, that's quite a step up for a 16 yr old! Truck sounds great, sounds perfect for tow duty and minor trail use!

I'm up for a full-size camping trip at some point... need to finish getting this thing trail-worthy!

I have considered linking up the front, the idea has merit. I think Alcans would probably (hopefully?) ride and work as well as a decent set of coils and probably be less money and PITA as far as links, track bars, etc.

blznnp

I don't want to turn this into a for sale thread, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to list it.
No worries, Thats not what I intended. I would think your truck would do great all over the state, Colorado and Utah. The only problem my old full size would have had I think would have been the width, height was another issue but couldn't help that with the size tires I had.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Let's get yours together and I need to get mine and make sure it's as reliable as I hope it is :rofl: and see how they work out. I just googled "F250 solid axle swap" and came up with some cool images. This is almost exactly what I was looking at, just not near as nice and it's white with some grunge ground in. Oh, and lacking the uber-kewl hood...

IMAG0209.jpg

Anyone want an '86 K5 with a 30k mile engine? Thing is QUITE stock but has spent some time in Ohio. Wasn't super kind to the body.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
No worries, Thats not what I intended. I would think your truck would do great all over the state, Colorado and Utah. The only problem my old full size would have had I think would have been the width, height was another issue but couldn't help that with the size tires I had.

:thumbs:

Let's get yours together and I need to get mine and make sure it's as reliable as I hope it is :rofl: and see how they work out. I just googled "F250 solid axle swap" and came up with some cool images. This is almost exactly what I was looking at, just not near as nice and it's white with some grunge ground in. Oh, and lacking the uber-kewl hood...

IMAG0209.jpg

Anyone want an '86 K5 with a 30k mile engine? Thing is QUITE stock but has spent some time in Ohio. Wasn't super kind to the body.

I think a F-250 Powerstroke w/ a Dana 60 is a winner no matter what it looks like!