Considering selling my GMC...

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Thanks Marc! :p

So after a long discussion with the wife, I think I'm going to let the GMC go. :( I will make an actual classified ad later this week and probably post it on Pirate and a few other forums. I know there was some expressed interest in it, if you have questions I'd prefer to keep this thread more focused on the build, so PM me if you need to.

We're in the middle of shuffling some vehicles around, picked up a fuel efficient DD for her so her 4Runner is getting parked and eventually sold. I'll need a vehicle that is somewhat in between the 4Runner and the GMC.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Thanks Marc! :p

So after a long discussion with the wife, I think I'm going to let the GMC go. :( I will make an actual classified ad later this week and probably post it on Pirate and a few other forums. I know there was some expressed interest in it, if you have questions I'd prefer to keep this thread more focused on the build, so PM me if you need to.

We're in the middle of shuffling some vehicles around, picked up a fuel efficient DD for her so her 4Runner is getting parked and eventually sold. I'll need a vehicle that is somewhat in between the 4Runner and the GMC.

This saddens me :( I hope someone on here picks it up from you so we can see it's future

Greg

Admin
So I moved these posts from the build thread, didn't like the clutter in the build thread... matter of fact, that stuff bugs me! This is chit-chat, so we can discuss what I may or may not do...

I smell a 4 door coming your way.

Been there and while they're nice, I don't need a 4 door.

It will be great having a new member in the 100 series club! :cool:

:p

As much as I love the idea, a 100 Series isn't what I'm looking for. In all truth, I could go for a mid-2000's Toyota Tundra with a extended cab and the 4.7l V8. I would love to outfit it with 35's, regear it and toss an ARB in the rear axle. Add some sliders, a winch bumper and leave it. Should be a little more freeway-friendly than the GMC, be low enough to easily load bikes in the back and not feel massive on the trail.

This saddens me :( I hope someone on here picks it up from you so we can see it's future

Yeah, I would rather see it go to someone I don't know, so I don't have to see the future owner enjoying it! :p

sixstringsteve

Feel free to move this to the "which rig should I get next" thread once you start it. :D

As much as I love the idea, a 100 Series isn't what I'm looking for. In all truth, I could go for a mid-2000's Toyota Tundra with a extended cab and the 4.7l V8. I would love to outfit it with 35's, regear it and toss an ARB in the rear axle. Add some sliders, a winch bumper and leave it. Should be a little more freeway-friendly than the GMC, be low enough to easily load bikes in the back and not feel massive on the trail.

Are you thinking 1st gen tundra or 2nd gen? For 1st gen, I highly recommend a 2005-2006, big improvements those years. I'm surprised we don't see more of those built into your type of rig.

I also think one of these would fit the bill quite nicely:
2g taco.jpg

taco2.jpg

Greg

Admin
Feel free to move this to the "which rig should I get next" thread once you start it. :D

Are you thinking 1st gen tundra or 2nd gen? For 1st gen, I highly recommend a 2005-2006, big improvements those years. I'm surprised we don't see more of those built into your type of rig.

I also think one of these would fit the bill quite nicely:
View attachment 81592

View attachment 81593

1st Gen, 2005+ would be nice if I could swing it.

I like the Tacoma's, but I want something bigger and really want a V8. As much as I like the 4 doors, I don't need one. I'd like to be able to tow a trailer when needed and I'm a fan of having vehicles with a decent amount of torque/power.

Greg

Admin
So I mentioned selling our 2003 V8 4Runner... it's been my wife's DD for the last several years, but she recently moved jobs from 1 mile away to across the Valley, close to 25 miles away. She was driving the 4Runner quite a bit and the monthly cost for gas was getting quite high and she has been mentioning her lack of money at the end of the month. My DD is a TDI VW Jetta, averages about 45 MPG and I also commute across the Valley to work. My drive is 50 miles a day... and the cost for driving that much isn't much of an issue for me. The turbo diesel Jetta has been great, I've owned it over 6 years and 100k+ miles! It now has almost 260k on it and still drives great. Long story short, we decided to pickup a older TDI Beetle for her to drive. Found one in Vegas and picked it up last weekend. Now that the 4Runner isn't needed for DD duty and I've pretty much decided the GMC is too much, the plan is to sell both and get into something that can be a weekend play 4x4, but something that can handle hours of freeway driving for big trips... like Baja! Plus the stuff that is a couple hours away, Moab, San Juan mountains, etc. I also want something capable of decently challenging trails, which can haul dirtbikes and be very reliable. Seems like a mid-2000's Tundra is a good all around choice.

On the drive back from Vegas with her new DD... had to swap on the spare tire, as one of the rear tires was badly weather checked.

310752_10151429365927746_196247964_n.jpg

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict

I think this would be perfect. The first gen Tundra is great if you don't need 6 seats like I do. The 4.7 has plenty of power and you'll get the full 6.5' bed.

Moved to a 2 TDI family, huh? I've contemplated that move many times. My 02 Jetta TDI is my DD, but whenever anyone in the family wants to drive a ways, they want the TDI. It just feels good being able to drive to St George and back on a single fillup. Do you mind revealing what you had to give for the Beetle?

Greg

Admin
I think this would be perfect. The first gen Tundra is great if you don't need 6 seats like I do. The 4.7 has plenty of power and you'll get the full 6.5' bed.

Agreed! I love the 4.7l in our 4Runner... it's quick!! The extended cab and 6.5' bed would be perfect, keep the wheelbase down and have enough room for bikes, gear, etc.

Moved to a 2 TDI family, huh? I've contemplated that move many times. My 02 Jetta TDI is my DD, but whenever anyone in the family wants to drive a ways, they want the TDI. It just feels good being able to drive to St George and back on a single fillup. Do you mind revealing what you had to give for the Beetle?

We did! My wife became convinced that she would like to have her own TDI after a recent trip to Denver in my Jetta. She drove there and back on a tankful (500 miles total), then drove the car another 2-3 days before needing another tank of fuel. I've been trying to convince her to get one, but she really liked her SUV. It wasn't until she started driving 250 miles a week for work that she finally saw the light!

We paid $4200 for the Beetle, it's a '98 and has quite a few scrapes on the bumpers and rocker panels. The interior is good, which helps. It's not in the best shape and needs some work, but it has 160k miles on it which IMO is low for a TDI that's priced decent. For the mileage and the affordable price, we're happy.

Greg

Admin
I considered a 4.7 Tundra for a long time and still do every now and again. I'm excited to see what you end up with :cool:

I'm still back & forth on selling the GMC... and I need to sell both the 4Runner and the GMC before I can buy a Tundra, so it may be awhile!

We paid $4200 for the Beetle, it's a '98 and has quite a few scrapes on the bumpers and rocker panels. The interior is good, which helps. It's not in the best shape and needs some work, but it has 160k miles on it which IMO is low for a TDI that's priced decent. For the mileage and the affordable price, we're happy.

Some people may not get it, but anything under $5k for a TDI in good running condition is a bargain IMO.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
If you want to put the street tires back on the 4runner for the sale, i'd probably be interested in the KM's and rims :)

Greg

Admin
If you want to put the street tires back on the 4runner for the sale, i'd probably be interested in the KM's and rims :)

I'm working with a friend from RME that is interested in the 4Runner and if he doesn't want the FJ Cruiser wheels and KM's, I'll keep them and run them on the Tundra until I can get it on bigger tires. Otherwise, I'll keep you in mind.