Corona Virus: The Real Thread. Who has it? How are you affected?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My daughter, her boyfriend and I all tested positive last week.
This is not a sympathy thread, I'm not looking for well-wishes or prayers, I'm just curious about personal experience.
I understand if you wish to remain silent, after dealing with my work I feel a bit like a leper..
To date my symptoms have been:
1 day of very low fever (99.3), 1 day of minor aches (fixed by a single dose of Naproxen), and a weeks worth of mild chest congestion and slight cough (pretty much done now).
My biggest complaint.... on Sat. morning, I woke up with almost no sense of taste or smell....this really sucks because I am a foodie. I feel I (we) are very fortunate and don't want to diminish any on else's struggles with this, I just would like to hear anyone else's personal experience.

Stay well,

--Eric

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Early February I was hospitalized my phlegm was so thick I was literally going to choke to death on it. To make matters worse, this instigated a condition where every time I coughed I blacked out.

While hospitalized I was informed that I had “a strain of Caronavirus”. I went through an intense interrogation from the CDC, state health department, and various hospital administrators. Afterwards they all told me not to worry, and that since I hadn’t been to China there was zero chance I had that “novel coronavirus” from over there.

All I know is I was out of work for 5 months, and sicker than I could’ve ever imagined. During that time dozens of people baby sat me and not a single one of them ended up getting sick.

Jesser04

Early February I was hospitalized my phlegm was so thick I was literally going to choke to death on it. To make matters worse, this instigated a condition where every time I coughed I blacked out.

While hospitalized I was informed that I had “a strain of Caronavirus”. I went through an intense interrogation from the CDC, state health department, and various hospital administrators. Afterwards they all told me not to worry, and that since I hadn’t been to China there was zero chance I had that “novel coronavirus” from over there.

All I know is I was out of work for 5 months, and sicker than I could’ve ever imagined. During that time dozens of people baby sat me and not a single one of them ended up getting sick.

Are you back to normal yet?

DAA

My friend Tim and his stepson had it. Sickest either has ever been, for a couple weeks, but they didn't go to the hospital, though perhaps they should have. Did nothing for it but over the counter stuff. Both fine now. Tim's wife didn't get it. Well, showed no symptoms, she never did get tested, this was early and it was near impossible to get tested.

- DAA

xjtony

One of my coworkers has unfortunately had quite a bit of experience with the virus. Early on his aunt and uncle tested positive, with his uncle passing away within just a few days. Last month almost all of the rest of his extended family (parents, brothers, nieces and nephews) tested positive. They were all placed on oxygen very early and had no real major issues. He is very cautious and his immediate family has been fine so far. Like I've said before, it is very interesting to see the two sides of the issue. Out here in Tooele county there is not much to worry about and life goes on as normal for the most part. I only personally know one person in Tooele county that has tested positive, and he was mostly asymptomatic. Both his wife and daughter have been fine. John and his family all live in Utah county and have been greatly affected. The virus to him is very real and very dangerous.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I haven't done antibody tests but the first week of February I had a fever over 100 and the worst Bodie aches I've ever had, tested negative for flu. My wife and two kids at home had zero symptoms.
My oldest son tested positive after a guy he worked with had it. He was tested twice at different locations and so were several people on his crew, so false positive is unlikely. He had a mild sore throat, nothing more. He does say his smell and taste are diminished. His girlfriend that lives with him tested negative as well as his brother and his girlfriend that all live in the same house.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I know of two different groups of people that have had it. One family all had it (fam of 4), and they all had, at worst, mild cold symptoms. The kids barely at all (pre teen, young teen). The other group got it on a camping trip early on before the social distancing thing, and most of them were asymptomatic or mild symptoms, but one of them needed oxygen and was extremely weak and in bed for a couple of weeks. He's in his late 40's and otherwise in pretty good health (as far as I know).

That article is interesting. I rarely get sick. Like once a decade I'll get anything more than a 24 hour mild soar throat/runny nose. I wonder if that means I would be more likely to have a more severe infection since I may not have cool t-cells? Or maybe I have like, super beer-fueled Xennial T-cell Power and that's why I rarely get sick? Who knows, but I am actively trying to stay in good cardiovascular shape because I feel like the stronger my lungs/heart are, the better my body would do fighting something if I were to get it.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Conducting a scientific survey of my cohort of friends (all in the Xennial bracket), and this is 100% true. Our T-Cells aren't lazy like those of Gen-Xer's and aren't victims like those of Millennial's.

I think of mine as like analog t-cells, that later had technology integrated. Basically, my t-cells are the Borg.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My brother and his wife had it, if the kids got it they didn't show any symptoms. He said he had a fever for a few days and then felt worn out for a few days after that.

Houndoc

Had one neighbor hospitalized for over a month (Grantsville resident.) Other-wise healthy 40-something. For a few weeks it wasn't clear if he would live or not, but did ultimately recover and after a month or so on O2 at home heard is finally back to work. Rest his family has been fine.