Coyote Canyon status?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Real. Check the Land Use section here on RME. Also, Coyote is not a part of AreaBFE.

It is closing because of the new BLM RMP, which goes into effect on Oct. 4th. There are people working local to get the trail re-opened.

RufftyTuffty

That doesn't change the fact that it is closed.

Running it illegally will make it harder to get it established on the map of legal routes.

Yeah....but how do out of towners know whats open and closed....here in AZ if it has tracks its open.

Did i say we ran it?

Last edited:

piecesnparts

This might be common knowledge now, but in UT Land no longer (almost 10 years now) has to be marked closed. All land not marked open is assumed closed and you may get ticketed. And some areas they are getting real bad, my buddy came back from WY and was riding up in north ogden and got a trespassing with criminal mischief ticket. he tried the it used to be open and the sheriff didn't like it.

Cops can write whatever they want on the ticket, its up to the courts to to prosecute. Because he lives in wy luckily the judge let it go, but it still cost him quite a bit because he came down to fight it.

(this sheriff has been a jerk for as many years as I have known him, he is married to one of my ex-girlfriends sister)

PS just general comment, not directed at you Ruffy

Corban_White

This might be common knowledge now, but in UT Land no longer (almost 10 years now) has to be marked closed. All land not marked open is assumed closed and you may get ticketed.

Definitely NOT common knowledge, as of 5 min ago I still thought UT was "open unless posted closed." It is unfortunate that it is not still that way. :( Makes it even more important to educate people because many who have grown up here just unknowingly go out for a drive on closed roads. Then the ecos say that we have know regard for the law and sue to close more roads, eating up the $$$ that might have been spent on education to avoid the infraction. :-\

piecesnparts

Well, maybe some others should chime in too there was an article in the paper some years back, Its posted up on the hill under the B in Brigham. I am pretty sure its all of utah but there is a chance its Box elder county. If were not sure I can head up the hill tomorrow and find the ordinance.

I thought the same thing, came back up here to Brigham where I grew up and went up they hill and a land owner has it posted in a plexy glass case.

Corban_White

Well, maybe some others should chime in too there was an article in the paper some years back, Its posted up on the hill under the B in Brigham. I am pretty sure its all of utah but there is a chance its Box elder county. If were not sure I can head up the hill tomorrow and find the ordinance.

I thought the same thing, came back up here to Brigham where I grew up and went up they hill and a land owner has it posted in a plexy glass case.
I grew up in Brigham too but haven't been back (to the mountains-except Willard peak) for years. So is the road up the canyon next to the "B" closed now? How about the "I" road? I can easily believe from what I have learned recently (on this board mostly) that it is a law for the whole state.

piecesnparts

The I still open and I go hunting up there all the time. I think there is only 1 way up to the microwave towers(on the B side) which I think is National forest land, havent been up there for a few years though. I believe that road goes up the canyon to the south of the B. but the front route that cross on the west side of the mountain is closed. Just as a side note the I side has changed quite a bit right where you go up. The place where everybody used to shoot "Whisky Flats" I think.. is gone, The mining is erasing the mountain. and the backpackers give us a hard time. lol The road that goes all the way up is about where the mountain starts now.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Under the new Moab RMP, motorized vehicles are limited to "designated" trails, unless an area is managed as "open" (such as White Wash Sand Dunes), or "closed". Under the old RMP, areas were either "open", "closed", or "limited to existing" trails. So in the past, if there was a trail that was on the ground and not posted as closed, it was open by default. Now, the route must be "designated" to be open.

There are thousands of miles of routes in the Moab F.O., so it will take a long time for all of the routs to be posted. In the meantime, it wil be up to the user to check the legality of the route. Most all of the popular EJS routes are still open, as is Rusty Nail, the Pickle, and Where Eagles Dare. Unfortunately, Coyote is not. We are working on getting it re-opened, but it could take a while (if ever). It may not be posted immediately, but we hope that people will repect the closure.

By the way, the Record of Decision has not been signed yet on the new RMP, and probably won't be for a couple of weeks. Untill it is signed, the old RMP is still in effect.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Can you go into this a little more, what does that mean.

Until the Record of Decision is signed, the old RMP is still in effect, which means that Coyote is open. The last time I talked to the BLM (about 2 weeks ago), they expected the ROD to be signed around October 30 or 31. You would have to call the Moab BLM to get an accurate date.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Until the Record of Decision is signed, the old RMP is still in effect, which means that Coyote is open. The last time I talked to the BLM (about 2 weeks ago), they expected the ROD to be signed around October 30 or 31. You would have to call the Moab BLM to get an accurate date.

Excellent! So we can run it this weekend? :D

What would it take to legally not get that RD signed? ;)

Definitely NOT common knowledge, as of 5 min ago I still thought UT was "open unless posted closed." It is unfortunate that it is not still that way. :( Makes it even more important to educate people because many who have grown up here just unknowingly go out for a drive on closed roads. Then the ecos say that we have know regard for the law and sue to close more roads, eating up the $$$ that might have been spent on education to avoid the infraction. :-\

As noted, ignorance of the law is no excuse to break it. Laws will vary from area to area depending on managing agency and existing management plans. Everything in the country is moving towards "designated routes only" with the exception of a few open travel areas.

Until there's a system to hand feed every user the latest laws and maps, it is up to each individual to make sure they are being legal.

Take some responsibility. Be responsible. Know before you go.

Corban_White

As noted, ignorance of the law is no excuse to break it. Laws will vary from area to area depending on managing agency and existing management plans. Everything in the country is moving towards "designated routes only" with the exception of a few open travel areas.

Until there's a system to hand feed every user the latest laws and maps, it is up to each individual to make sure they are being legal.

Take some responsibility. Be responsible. Know before you go.

:confused::confused::confused:
Maybe you should go back and re-read my post as well as the others referenced to get the meaning. Nowhere did I mention breaking the law or being irresponsible. I know it is up to the individual to make sure it is legal-that's what the comment was about. I was simply bemoaning the change in the philosophy from the old RMP to the new RMP, as was better explained by drtsqurl in a subsequent post.