Coyote Canyon status?

:confused::confused::confused:
Maybe you should go back and re-read my post...

I read the posts the first time. I wasn't trying to claim that you yourself are irresponsible, I have no idea. Slow down. Your statement indicated that you did not know the law until you read it in this thread. So I pointed out that it is an individual's own responsibility to know law in order to obey the law.

"Closed unless posted open" applies to FS property in general.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
"Closed unless posted open" applies to FS property in general.

It applies to BLM as well, and has been the law in Utah for a long time. I last officially heard about it at least 5 years ago.

I no longer expect anyone to have even the slightest clue about what the law is. Most think if there are tracks of any kind there then it is OK for them. They don't even care. And that is why it is all ultimately doomed to closure. It only takes one and I see tens of thousands wrecking it for me.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Jeff, any chance of it being opened in the future or is it gone for good?

We're working on it! BLM doesn't have an official "procedure" yet for legalizing new trails, but we feel that we have a decent chance at some point of getting it re-opened. We are in the process right now of getting our documentation in order. Sometime soon I will be asking RME, U4, etc for help. Stay tuned!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
We're working on it! BLM doesn't have an official "procedure" yet for legalizing new trails, but we feel that we have a decent chance at some point of getting it re-opened. We are in the process right now of getting our documentation in order. Sometime soon I will be asking RME, U4, etc for help. Stay tuned!

Jeff - I have the capability and motivation to setup an informational site about Coyote and how to help save it. Also to help document what proceedures have been done that might help re-open other trails.

If this sounds like something that might be beneficial, let's talk. :)

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Jeff - I have the capability and motivation to setup an informational site about Coyote and how to help save it. Also to help document what proceedures have been done that might help re-open other trails.

If this sounds like something that might be beneficial, let's talk. :)

Thanks, Shane. Our next club meeting is in a couple of weeks, and we should know more by then. I'll definately be in touch.

Olaf

Supporting Member
Map of new RMP

If you view map 2 that gives the new open routes and map 3 gives the motorcycle and atv routes. http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ut/moab_fo/rmp/rod_approved_rmp/maps.Par.81420.File.dat/Moab%20Combined%20Maps.pdf

I spoke to the Moab BLM and they confirmed that Coyote is closed. They also confirmed that a route/trail is closed unless posted open.

They also said that it's closed because no member of the public put it forward to be included on the inventory list of trails that were considered to be kept open.

They are working on a paper map that will be user friendly and it'll be posted on their website once complete.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
If you view map 2 that gives the new open routes and map 3 gives the motorcycle and atv routes. http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ut/moab_fo/rmp/rod_approved_rmp/maps.Par.81420.File.dat/Moab%20Combined%20Maps.pdf

I spoke to the Moab BLM and they confirmed that Coyote is closed. They also confirmed that a route/trail is closed unless posted open.

They also said that it's closed because no member of the public put it forward to be included on the inventory list of trails that were considered to be kept open.

They are working on a paper map that will be user friendly and it'll be posted on their website once complete.

Well I Know for a fact that it was in many comment letters for the RMP :-\ Mine personally also

Olaf

Supporting Member
I spoke to Shelley Smith, the District Manager, and she stopped short of saying that it would've been approved as a trail and at the minimum considered, but that it wasn't on the "inventory list". I'm guessing that there's a process to add a trail onto this list and that comment letters aren't enough.

She said that there will be a way for trails to be added or removed but that it'll be a while before they can outline or handle the process because they have to deal with putting the new RMP into effect. Signage, maps etc.

She was very cordial and I was surprised that she took my call on considering her position. The District Managers here in California don't seem as approachable.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I spoke to Shelley Smith, the District Manager, and she stopped short of saying that it would've been approved as a trail and at the minimum considered, but that it wasn't on the "inventory list". I'm guessing that there's a process to add a trail onto this list and that comment letters aren't enough.

OK, that makes a bit more sense ;)

Their "inventory" was formed 5+ years ago, I don't have the Moab RMP documentation right here in front of me, it could have been 8 or more years ago. Basically Coyote Canyon wasn't around when their inventory was first conducted thus it couldn't technically be included. This exact scenario is being played out on the RMP's all over the state.

She said that there will be a way for trails to be added or removed but that it'll be a while before they can outline or handle the process because they have to deal with putting the new RMP into effect. Signage, maps etc.

Sounds promising. I know Jeff & crew are all over the situation and will keep tabs on the situation. Again, similar circumstances are happening all over the state on the different RMP's.

Coco

Thanks herzog! I actually got done posting that, and then noticed the big announcement at the top of the forums....HOW DID I MISS IT I DONT KNOW....:rolleyes: But I will get working on it in the morn!

Meat_

Banned
Coyote Canyon is CLOSED now. They put up signs for EJS. PLEASE do not run it at ALL until we get it added to the RMP, I am confident that this will happen eventually but our efforts will be hampered by people ignoring the signs.

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
But yet amazing how many people were running it this past week during EJS. I heard they were down there giving tickets left and right just as you came out of the wash

Meat_

Banned
But yet amazing how many people were running it this past week during EJS. I heard they were down there giving tickets left and right just as you came out of the wash

I'd heard that they signed it so I checked for myself on Monday.... One possible problem is that they only signed one of the two ways in (or the other sign got ran over and removed)... so if you came at the trail from down stream (which is the hardest way in) you wouldn't even see the sign