Coyote Canyon Update

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I would like to thank everyone who submitted letters in support of designating Coyote Canyon as a legal 4x4 route. Including the form letter that NORA circulated, I recieved over 210 letters, plus 200+ signatures on a petition that we had at the U4WDA Winter Convention!

We submitted all of the letters, along with our maps, etc, to the BLM this morning. They told us that they should have an official procedure in place for considering new routes within the next couple of weeks. On the surface, it seems that they have no real problem with designating Coyote, but they expect a lot of opposition from the nearby private land owner. (This is they same land owner who succesfully closed the old Lower Helldorado trail that passes through her property.) In our submittal to the BLM, we (Moab Friends-For-Wheelin') proposed an "adopt-a-trail" agreement between our club and BLM, and we have offered to work with BLM and the land owners to fence and sign any possible routes onto private property in the area. I'm sure the battle is just begining, but that is what we have for now.

Thanks again for the support, and I'll keep everyone updated as best I can.

Crinco

Very nice, got my fingers crossed. It is a great trail, would love to run it again! Thanks again for your work on this project!

Meat_

Banned
Coyote Canyon is CLOSED now. They put up signs for EJS. PLEASE do not run it at ALL until we get it added to the RMP, I am confident that this will happen eventually but our efforts will be hampered by people ignoring the signs.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Coyote Canyon is CLOSED now. They put up signs for EJS. PLEASE do not run it at ALL until we get it added to the RMP, I am confident that this will happen eventually but our efforts will be hampered by people ignoring the signs.

Thanks for the reminder, Meat. The trail is currently posted "closed" at each end. I have talked to two different BLM reps in the last few days. They both said that they are "optimistic" that we will be able to re-open the trail, but it will take some time. How much time, I don't know, but we will keep fighting for it here in Moab. By staying off the trail for now, we are all showing respect and responsibility, which can only help us in the long run.

Meat_

Banned
Np Jeff. I noticed that they only have a sign on one side of the entrance, you cannot see it from the other side. Do you think it would be possible to get another sign from them and plant it on the other side of the entrance?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Np Jeff. I noticed that they only have a sign on one side of the entrance, you cannot see it from the other side. Do you think it would be possible to get another sign from them and plant it on the other side of the entrance?

When I went by there on my way out on Monday, I saw a sign at each end. I'll ask, though, and see what I can do about keeping signs up.

Meat_

Banned
Yeah there is one at the exit and one at the entrance, but with the Y at the entrance if you come in on the left side you will never see the sign on the right side.

bumpitorcrawlit

Thanks

Thank you all so much for your efforts. I did not join in time to get a letter out. I appreciate everyone who did. You are all truly excellent stewards for the sport.