Coyote Canyon Update

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
thanks for all your efforts Jeff, and all those who wrote letters, If it works out and opens and you guys need help in your trail odoption laboring, let me know or have Devon call me, with a little advance notice, I can get a few guys together and help.

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
I hope we can get this back open. I shed a tear each time I passed it during EJS:(

I agree. everyone told me that greenday was like Coyote. No offense to BFE because I love the place, but coyote was just special! can't wait to wheel it again!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
we saw no signs there this weekend.. so if its still closed, they need some more signs :-\

While I fully agree signs would be extremely helpful. The new RMP defcto states "closed unless posted open", users need to really step up their game and figure out what is and isn't closed in the coming year.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
we saw no signs there this weekend.. so if its still closed, they need some more signs :-\

I also heard that the signs had been removed AGAIN, and passed that info on to the BLM yesterday. We will probably end up putting some post and cable fences up soon. But if our experience on Pritchett is any indication, that will not stop people either. (Every time we go up Pritchett, which is usually every 1 or 2 months, the cable fencing at Chewy is cut or ripped out.) I honestly don't know what the answer is. It is frustrating enough when people use a closed trail out of ignorance, but when signs and barriers are removed, what else can we do?

Oh yeah, we are still working on getting Coyote re-opened, but as I've said before, it may take a while. This new SUWA lawsuit that is seeking to throw out the new travel plan probably won't help matters either.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So if the new travel plan is thrown out, will it be open again? :greg:

As I understand, no. The new travel plan would remain in place until a replacement plan is put together. IMO it would be another several years and if SUWA gets their way, and the following plan would be much, MUCH more restrictive.

1993yj

While I fully agree signs would be extremely helpful. The new RMP defcto states "closed unless posted open", users need to really step up their game and figure out what is and isn't closed in the coming year.

Kurt, I fully agree with this statement, and believe that the respectable wheelers here on RME will abide by it. However, as you are probably more aware than the rest of us, the idiots out there ruining all of the other trails are going to be the same ones who ruin this one for us too.

I like Herzog's idea from the Pritchett thread:
I wonder if a different type of sign would help.

Something that says "Fence Built and Placed by 4-Wheelers for 4-Wheelers. Help keep our Trails Open, STAY ON THE TRAIL!"

Maybe people would be less likely to remove them and more likely to respect them? I don't understand why they are being messed up like that.

Maybe signs like this need to become the norm. We could even have a statement at the bottom about how people who run trails that are posted as closed are ruining the sport for EVERYONE.

Don't know if it will work, but at this point anything is worth a shot.

I know that when I was younger I did some things on/off the trails that I would kick my own ass for doing now, but I was also ignorant. I had no idea, no one had ever told me, and I wasn't involved in any groups to learn these "common sense" things. I would like to believe that if something was posted people might finally understand why staying on the trails is so important.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... I know that when I was younger I did some things on/off the trails that I would kick my own ass for doing now, but I was also ignorant. I had no idea, no one had ever told me, and I wasn't involved in any groups to learn these "common sense" things. I would like to believe that if something was posted people might finally understand why staying on the trails is so important.

Well said!! :hickey:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt, I fully agree with this statement, and believe that the respectable wheelers here on RME will abide by it. However, as you are probably more aware than the rest of us, the idiots out there ruining all of the other trails are going to be the same ones who ruin this one for us too.

Your absolutely right. It needs to be a multi-tiered approach. I wish the BLM disricts had a red cent for education. How neat would it be to have an actual travel map in a metal box at each trailhead, similar to you'll find at many of the trailheads in the SR Swell. Clubs like MFFW & RR4W have really stepped up on the signage but as with everywhere else in the state we need more. I can't remember the exact price but when we were installing all the kiosk signs in the 5MP area as part of NPLD 4-5 years ago, I want to say they told us that it costs ~$500 for each kiosk by the time they build them, paint them, bury them in the ground and add maps and signage. And from my experience I'd say each lasts 2-3 years out there. :-\

...I know that when I was younger I did some things on/off the trails that I would kick my own ass for doing now, but I was also ignorant. I had no idea, no one had ever told me, and I wasn't involved in any groups to learn these "common sense" things. I would like to believe that if something was posted people might finally understand why staying on the trails is so important.

Ditto & agreed. :cool: Educating others needs to be the focus of groups like U4WDA while leaving thins like trail rides, social events and party's to clubs and litigation to advocacy groups like BRC/Usa-All. On that note I think clubs can be one of the best education tools we have accessible.

TJ_MAN

Any update on this trail, hasn't been much talk about it. I am assuming that it is still closed but have they made any progress on getting it re-opened?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Any update on this trail, hasn't been much talk about it. I am assuming that it is still closed but have they made any progress on getting it re-opened?

We remain optimistic that we will one day see it re-opened. However, the BLM will not consider any new route designations untill the current route inventory is marked on the ground. This process in underway, but the estimated completion is not before Fall or Winter of 2010.

In the meantime, the trail is closed. We are keeping communications going with the BLM, and will start pushing a bit more in a few months.