Crossing over..

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Herzog said:
I've got the same scenario coming up soon! :D
I remember! When you were talking about the new buggy, I was thinking 'special place for a car seat' lol

You seen this yet?
http://store.summitracing.com/defau...eywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

sim-90000.jpg

Isn't that the coolest thing you've ever seen!?!! It's even air craft approved (when using the 5 point harness)! And how about the bottle holder.... :rofl:

Be careful though... The wife get's a little motherly when it comes to taking her baby out wheelin'.....Care less if you get hurt, but don't hurt her baby! ... Or you _WILL_ be hurt! ;) :rofl: At first mine was a little protective...Lecture and the whole bit. But now I've had him out several times and she knows when I tell her I didn't go on this obstacle or that one she believes me and knows I took it easy....

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
waynehartwig said:
I remember! When you were talking about the new buggy, I was thinking 'special place for a car seat' lol

You seen this yet?
http://store.summitracing.com/defau...eywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

sim-90000.jpg

Isn't that the coolest thing you've ever seen!?!! It's even air craft approved (when using the 5 point harness)! And how about the bottle holder.... :rofl:

Be careful though... The wife get's a little motherly when it comes to taking her baby out wheelin'.....Care less if you get hurt, but don't hurt her baby! ... Or you _WILL_ be hurt! ;) :rofl: At first mine was a little protective...Lecture and the whole bit. But now I've had him out several times and she knows when I tell her I didn't go on this obstacle or that one she believes me and knows I took it easy....

That is AWESOME! I have to get one of those. :D

I figure she can ride a dirt bike while me and the kid cruise in the buggy. :D :eek:

Meat_

Banned
spencurai said:
....this ATV thing is too much fun.
Careful, they get old too. I've been riding them since about '82... several 3wheelers and since '96 I've put 13,300 some odd miles on Sportsmans and although I still enjoy riding them and will never be without one, I'm at the been there done that phase with atvs, hence the impending buggy :)

Everything goes in a circle and you will most likely be back at wheeling before you know it so keep in mind when you are thinking about selling that you can never get your money back out of toys....

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
since the kids where born i think we have been out on the trail more than before they where born. me and lisa did ejs while she was 7 months pregnant. so the kids have had since before they where born to get used to it. sometimes they enjoy it sometimes they get a little scared. it makes it a lot easier to enjoy this sport when you have a family that enjoys it with you. this last year at ejs we hiked to tower arch in arches, i think my kids like the hiking more than they enjoy the riding, but that is something i never would have done if i hadnt had a jeep to get me to the trail head. the kids look forward to the hiking and i look forward to getting them there so we can hike.

oh ya, i think i am going to be ordering a couple of those car seats. i wish there was a place i could go look at them first.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Hey Wayne, seeing pics of your boat makes me want to make mine faster. But the 454 mag really does well (60+). I am glad to see I'm not the only one thats a little burned out.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
RockMonkey said:
Very cool. Tyler's 9 weeks old and it's so cool watching him change EVERY DAY. You're gonna love it.
Word....Especially in the 'discovery' phase....One day they can care less about a certain stuff toy (or whatever), the next day that can't stop staring at it. I remember when Austin first saw himself in the mirror... I was holding him in front of the mirror (did it all the time - changing table is under it) and one day he was looking straight ahead and moved his hand...He jumped and his eyes got big as saucers. Now a toy that I bought him a 6 weeks ago is getting used a lot! (personal mirror with some other stuff on it).

Good times... Yeah, he hinders my 'freedom', but it's worth it! When I am out alone I wish he was with me. I couldn't imagine my life without him now. It's definately life changing...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Andy said:
Hey Wayne, seeing pics of your boat makes me want to make mine faster. But the 454 mag really does well (60+). I am glad to see I'm not the only one thats a little burned out.
I had bought a mag for it after my ignition box failed and never put it in. Well, I take that back, I put it in but could never make it run. So I put the magnetic breakerless and promaster coil back in. Even with it cold, sitting for days on end, pump the gas once and tap the key was all it took to fire and lope at 1100 RPM's.... Cam was so hot you could 'see' the smoke from each cylinder fire. This was the way I sold it, and I gave the mag to my dad for his rat rod.

Is yours a squirt boat? I know lots of stuff to get speed out of them. I took mine from 45 to 60 mph with minor mods - none of them were to the motor. The Olds big block has a lot of low end torque and high RPM's (4k and up) the motor will blow up. So I did things to the pump to keep the RPM's of the motor down and utilize the torque. Then I put together the 454 and instantly had a 100 mph boat. Lot's of power... From a standing start the back would go under water and the nose would lift out of the water and the boat would literally 'jump' out of the water, flatten out and take off. I could do a 1/4 mile pass in under 6 seconds because of it's holeshot.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
This is about the only thing I miss about Sacramento, CA... This video was taken in Oct of 04. We used to do this type of stuff all the time. Grab a bunch of people, a couple kegs of beer, generator, DJ, etc. and have a huge BBQ on the river. You'll notice we are all in shorts and swiming in a river in October... I bet it was in the 90's...

<dial up beware!!>

http://www.alljeep.com/images/oct 4 2003 - knights landing.mpg

<if you can't view the video, right click on the link, save as target and put it on your desktop to view after it has downloaded>

We would all meet up at the boat docks and ride up together. You'd have 15 (or so) hot boats running up the river at 60 mph or so... All uncorked (headers and no noise suppresion) VERY LOUD!

At times there were over 30 hot boats. By hot boats, I mean nitro fed, blowers, etc. Boats with auto transmissions in them and some without carbs - mechanically fed nitro right into an air tube that goes straight into the combustion chamber. LOTS of money in these boats!!

So we'd all go out there, have a few beers and the guy in the green and black boat would start instigating everyone... He got the boat given to him, took a BBC that he had laying around, wet sanded the hull and sprayed it with some clear coat and bang - he had a 100+ boat for under $5k - PISSED everyone off! Cuz he could either beat everyone there or at least give them a good run. They'd always give him crap for having a redneck boat - Patches they called him.

reddevil

'93 Cherokee
I love wheeling with my wife and kids (3 and 18 months,) and they love being out on the trail. Sure it takes more time and money than other hobbies, but I am building a future with my kids. So as long as they are happy to go with me, that is were my focus is. Also I have great friends to go wheeling with. So to me wheeling is all about getting out in nature with friends and family. I don't think I could ever get burned out on that.:D

Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Herzog said:
I don't see myself getting out of wheeling for a very long time, if ever. Like Braden, I have plans on building a daily driver that will do some pretty hard trails, and at the same time be able to load up all the gear in it just to go camping... anywhere.

You just can't throw a sufficient amount of camp gear on a buggy for a family outing, but I also already have ideas for a new buggy as well! Of course, all my plans won't happen for a few years. :/

That's why I built my Scrambler the way I did, we like to go camping, fishing, exploring, hunting, rock hounding, and wheeling so I tried to make it capable of wheeling on the rough stuff yet be able to haul all of the gear when we take off camping or all of the other fun stuff. I have always tried to do lots of different things so that no one activity gets old (like I am).

Andy

aka. Hollywood
waynehartwig said:
I had bought a mag for it after my ignition box failed and never put it in. Well, I take that back, I put it in but could never make it run. So I put the magnetic breakerless and promaster coil back in. Even with it cold, sitting for days on end, pump the gas once and tap the key was all it took to fire and lope at 1100 RPM's.... Cam was so hot you could 'see' the smoke from each cylinder fire. This was the way I sold it, and I gave the mag to my dad for his rat rod.

Is yours a squirt boat? I know lots of stuff to get speed out of them. I took mine from 45 to 60 mph with minor mods - none of them were to the motor. The Olds big block has a lot of low end torque and high RPM's (4k and up) the motor will blow up. So I did things to the pump to keep the RPM's of the motor down and utilize the torque. Then I put together the 454 and instantly had a 100 mph boat. Lot's of power... From a standing start the back would go under water and the nose would lift out of the water and the boat would literally 'jump' out of the water, flatten out and take off. I could do a 1/4 mile pass in under 6 seconds because of it's holeshot.

It's an I/O, I should have worded it different, 454 HO EFI. It's not a speed boat like yours, but after seeing what mine will do I have the itch to get something with more speed on the water. You have to remember I am used to boats that do 35-40 max so having one that has the power to hit 60 is different. It's nothing like a Nordic or Baja but I don't have that kind of money $$$, it's a family boat 22.5 Crownline open bow. It does have the transom exhaust which I love, nothing like a screaming BBC :D always puts a smile on my face.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Andy said:
It's an I/O, I should have worded it different, 454 HO EFI. It's not a speed boat like yours, but after seeing what mine will do I have the itch to get something with more speed on the water. You have to remember I am used to boats that do 35-40 max so having one that has the power to hit 60 is different. It's nothing like a Nordic or Baja but I don't have that kind of money $$$, it's a family boat 22.5 Crownline open bow. It does have the transom exhaust which I love, nothing like a screaming BBC :D always puts a smile on my face.
Getcha a SleekCraft tunnel hull with a outboard engine. You should be able to find one for around $5k in pretty good shape. They'll do 80 all day long and ride like a Cadillac, even on choppy waters. They also have a 250 horse motor that sips the gas. My BBC that I had drank the gas FAST. A 13 mile (roughly 2 hours) round trip at 45 with a few 5 zones would use about 20 gallons of gas.. But man, did I love the sound and speed!! My boat was darn near flat at only 15* and even small ripples would jar you around and make the CD player skip...

Andy

aka. Hollywood
mbryson said:
:eek: :eek: I never thought I'd hear those words out of your mouth :D

I'm even thinking of putting a SBC in my next Bronco, they are just so much easier and cheaper to build and work on (EFI systems). I know where it's at, besides I'm a gear head I love anything that burns high octane fuel with tons of HP.:D

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
mbryson said:
Sweet ride :D I'd assume you've got a 455 in that barge? (it's not quite as kewl as a GS, but damn close :D)

well, it will; at the moment it is torn down to the frame and getting a full resto. Now I am debating whether or not to FI that 455 or not. I can't stand carbs but I am having a hard time finding a FI unit for the 455.

My bro used to have a 65 buick Skylark GS convertible that had a Buick Wildcat 430 motor in it. Now that was a sweet ride!