Crunch time - Johnny G's K2

hilltj

4x4runner said:
Can anyone tell me more on how this is done.(plate on diff) It looks like a good way to attach the link mount to the cast pumpkin. How thick is the plate, and what are the correct techniques used to weld it. Does it tie into the tube on the other side? I assume it works well if you guys are running it. thanks alot,
greg

Well, the information I got out of them is that generally you're not *supposed* to weld to cast :eek: But if you have to, plug-weld it, lot's of heat and try to penetrate deep into the cast.

On the rear axle:

200402%20095.jpg

he actually cut throught the cast truss and slipped the bracket down into the groove and welded it inside and out all around. The problem with welding to cast is that if it's not done properly, you can tear the brackets right out of the cast. You should probably be pretty confident in your welding skills before trying... If I ever need to, I'll bring it to Nate :cool:

-Al

hilltj

They're wrapping everything up right now, it'll probably be a late night, but I'll get some pictures and post them when I get home.

The guys here at Mt. Logan want to give a big thanks to:
Mike & Jim @ Summit Machine
Matt & Chad @ High Performance Coatings
Tom Woods
Wolford Collision Repair
Dynatrac
BFG
Beard Seats
and
Walker Evans Racing
for pulling through and helping get this project rolling so quickly!

Last edited:

VANDALL

Thank U

To the guys at MT. LOGAN : your welcome.

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
hilltj said:
They're wrapping everything up right now, it'll probably be a late night, but I'll get some pictures and post them when I get home.

That would be awsome. Out of all the right ups on different BB I think that this project has come together the best. and I am really excited to see how it turns out.

MRJ

Just a user
Yes, John and Nate you are very welcome. We were glad we could get to work on this project and look forward to more in the future. I can't wait to see it done. Good luck this weekend Johnny G and Nate.

hilltj

I wimped out... it's going to be an all-nighter, so here's the pics when I left and they were still going strong. They're leaving at 5:30 in the morning, so I won't be able to get any more pics until Saturday when I go down. I'll get a couple of it on the rocks hopefully and wrap this thread up. Thanks for all the comments, etc. It's been fun.

Albums: http://jeepnut.org/spypics/

200402%20186.jpg

200402%20187.jpg

200402%20188.jpg

200402%20189.jpg

200402%20190.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
hilltj said:
I wimped out... it's going to be an all-nighter, so here's the pics when I left and they were still going strong. They're leaving at 5:30 in the morning, so I won't be able to get any more pics until Saturday when I go down. I'll get a couple of it on the rocks hopefully and wrap this thread up. Thanks for all the comments, etc. It's been fun.

Albums: http://jeepnut.org/spypics/

I've been following this thread, thanks for keeping going. Very cool build up. :cool:

hilltj

Well, to wrap this up here is a few pics from the competition on Saturday. Johnny was pleased with how the buggy turned out and it seemed to work well. On the last obstacle he ended up bending and unbendable aluminum link and toasted the yoke on the rear differential, but he put on quite a show. ESPN was there filming so keep an eye out for some UROC footage on there sometime.

UROC200403%20(100).jpg

UROC200403%20(101).jpg

UROC200403%20(204).jpg

UROC200403%20(216).jpg

UROC200403%20(223).jpg

Full UROC album found here:

http://jeepnut.org/tripreport/uroc200403/index.htm

Have fun,
Al