Dana 35 Breakage pics

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Please send me some pics of D35's broken. If you want just post them up here on this thread.

Thanks!!!

Andrew

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Here's what you do when you break one :hickey:

dana35.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Brett said:

you mean after you cry because all your friends were right when they told you to let off the skinny pedal?

after i broke mine i drove home (from lil moab)
it was fun, i spent some time in fwd because the spider gears were demolished.

p.s. why do you want pics?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Brett said:

dana35.jpg

I always tell my friends with D35s, "Don't attempt the hard line through that gutter, you're gonna break!"

They usually don't listen... :D :D

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Yeah I am looking for carnage pics. Brett's post looks exactly like what I am looking for.

Thanks Brett!!

Keep em coming... :)

Andrew

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
This is a good thread to ask this question. Let's say you break your axle....the splined end is still in the carrier. (It could be a Dana 35, 44, 60, whatever...) How do you get the broken off end out of the carrier? I mean on the trail? Generally do you have to pull the carrier and get it out that way? Let's say you carry a spare rear axle on the trail. Pulling your carrier in the middle of nowhere doesn't sound like much fun to me. I thought I'd heard of someone putting a strong magnet on a stick and pulling out the end that way, but I can't confirm that that would work.

EZ

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
EZRhino said:
This is a good thread to ask this question. Let's say you break your axle....the splined end is still in the carrier. (It could be a Dana 35, 44, 60, whatever...) How do you get the broken off end out of the carrier? I mean on the trail? Generally do you have to pull the carrier and get it out that way? Let's say you carry a spare rear axle on the trail. Pulling your carrier in the middle of nowhere doesn't sound like much fun to me. I thought I'd heard of someone putting a strong magnet on a stick and pulling out the end that way, but I can't confirm that that would work.

EZ

Seems like it would work but what would keep it from sticking to the axle tubeing? I haven't had any trail breakage before so I don't know.

:D One day it will happen I am sure.

V-DAWG

someday
EZRhino said:

EZ

I learned the hard way. The little broken piece doesn't want to just come out. When it gets ready to break, they expand and increase their diameter. If the break is right at the carrier, it may not pull out because of the expansion. I have C-clip axles, so I had to pull the diff cover and take out the center pin to release the C-clip, but then I had to pound the little broken stub back into the center of the carrier with the broken part of the shaft, and a bfh. There is no way it would have pulled out with a magnet even after the C-clip was removed. There is also a bunch of little gear eating chunks of metal left in, since the break is not always clean. If you have a diff cover, I would plan on pulling it at the least, and possibly even the third member.

Not fun at all.......maybe I should just stick with my dirt bike, it doesn't break.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
I imagine that your experience is the rule and not the exception. Note to self: don't plan on fixing a broken rear axle. Hmmm...I guess the same thing could happen in the front. Luckily most front axle breaks are of the U-joint variety, or breaking the ears off the yoke.

EZ

T3n5oR

for my 44 front, i carry a length of steel rod and a strong magnet, havent had the splines swell yet so i guess i am lucky.. works like a charm to get past the axletube seal.

ZUK

I have about 50 pics of d35 axle ( 4 megs) breakage.....anybody here that wants the folder just shoot me your email.

here's a good pic of a 35... :D

cd613130.jpg

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
EZRhino said:

EZ

Twice I've been present when D35c axles have broken. One for a friend in a cherokee, and once mine. In both cases, the opposite axle was removed and a length of steel was used to pound the piece out from the opposite side. Which meant that the diff cover was removed for both.

In the first case, with my friend, he carried a piece of steel in his rig just for that purpose (seems like he had been in that prediciment before). In my case, I had to go into town to get parts, and picked up a 6' section of 5/8" rebar while I was getting the other parts.

In both cases, the remaining piece didn't want to come out and the hammer was applied liberally.