Desert Therapy Session Jan 5-7

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I thought hard about Fixit, I heard it got pretty tame. Looking forward to hearing what you think.
Fix it pass isn't bad at all. I did this route this past spring. I want to do Devils Race Track, but my daughter and SIL are coming in their 4 runner that only has a small lift and the rocker guards on it have a step on them and I know they will drag on that one step down, so we are just going to go the easier route so they don't have any issues.

I think Derek, Dave and I ran it last year?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
It'll look something like this anyway?

1703833121038.png

Attachments

• NewYearDesertTherapy.gpx
    212.2 KB · Views: 5

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
if you’re serious about a truck with a camper, I would recommend Buckhorn to Temple Mountain Road, and finding some cool places to camp not far from the wide graded road. There are some amazing slot canyons down near goblin Valley that are on my list to explore. A number of the roads I'm familiar with that you listed aren't really big camper friendly.

I did Fixit yesterday. I wouldn't want a truck and camper on that road. It's nothing like it was a decade ago, but similar to last year when @mbryson and @Tonkaman ran it with me. We got a 100 series Land Cruiser up it on 33's, but he was locked front and rear and did some 3wheeling.

Every time I've done Fuller bottom it's been passable, but I don't know if I'd want to take a truck with a camper through there either. I don't even know if a camper would fit through the underpasses on 70. It would definitely fit in Eagle Canyon, but that's some serious wheeling for a truck and camper to get out of there.

Coal wash is fine, tight and bumpy in areas, but fun. Pinstripes are likely on wide rigs through some areas.

I've never been to the Copper Globe area. That sounds fun. I'm 50% right now, but will know Wednesday for sure.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
if you’re serious about a truck with a camper, I would recommend Buckhorn to Temple Mountain Road, and finding some cool places to camp not far from the wide graded road. There are some amazing slot canyons down near goblin Valley that are on my list to explore. A number of the roads I'm familiar with that you listed aren't really big camper friendly.

I did Fixit yesterday. I wouldn't want a truck and camper on that road. It's nothing like it was a decade ago, but similar to last year when @mbryson and @Tonkaman ran it with me. We got a 100 series Land Cruiser up it on 33's, but he was locked front and rear and did some 3wheeling.

Every time I've done Fuller bottom it's been passable, but I don't know if I'd want to take a truck with a camper through there either. I don't even know if a camper would fit through the underpasses on 70. It would definitely fit in Eagle Canyon, but that's some serious wheeling for a truck and camper to get out of there.

Coal wash is fine, tight and bumpy in areas, but fun. Pinstripes are likely on wide rigs through some areas.

I've never been to the Copper Globe area. That sounds fun. I'm 50% right now, but will know Wednesday for sure.
By camper he meant shell, and it’s still smaller than his excursion 😂.

IMG_0842.jpeg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
By camper he meant shell, and it’s still smaller than his excursion 😂.

View attachment 167888
Gotcha. Pinstriping is almost guaranteed going through Fuller Bottom and N Coal Wash in that. There is a bypass around some of the tight stuff in N Coal Wash by going up onto the bluff and dropping back in further in. I can post some maps when I'm home Sunday or Monday.

We were at Calf Mesa yesterday. Cool area!
IMG_7086.jpeg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I forgot about that underpass. Anybody know how tall that tunnel is?
Tall enough for the rigs going on this. I wouldn't sweat that at all.

I am likely out now as it's my Grandpa's 92nd Birthday party on Saturday. I may try to come on Friday then bail early Saturday to be back in time, but I also need to show my cruiser some love after this weekend as I treated it very roughly. I need to put a wrench on every critical suspension bolt and check a few things out before another abusive trip.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'm a go but not gonna get the big red pig through devils racetrack. Are we going to caravan down? What Ham freq, the usual (146.460)?
To get an idea about how much I get out, I gassed up the truck in early October and still have over 3/4 tank. I need to fix that.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm a go but not gonna get the big red pig through devils racetrack. Are we going to caravan down? What Ham freq, the usual (146.460)?
To get an idea about how much I get out, I gassed up the truck in early October and still have over 3/4 tank. I need to fix that.
DRT is not on the agenda this trip, at least for the main group. Secret Mesa is the spiciest we should see and if Dave's right then a fair number of us will bypass that. But I do want to at least look at it.

We can definitely convoy down Friday morning. We can pin down details in a couple days.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
DRT is not on the agenda this trip, at least for the main group. Secret Mesa is the spiciest we should see and if Dave's right then a fair number of us will bypass that. But I do want to at least look at it.

We can definitely convoy down Friday morning. We can pin down details in a couple days.

Are you wanting to look at the drop from Secret Mesa into Eagle Canyon?

7B49B893-B072-4270-970D-4C1856C8CDD3.jpeg

As you drop into Eagle Canyon there are some decent size ledges. It’s downhill so the only worry is rockers and rear departure angle. I’d personally take a close look at it if I were in a LWB truck with long overhang. Eva Conover has just a few more technical spots (minor at that) as of my last trip through in April. This climb is loose and has some small ledges but it should a total non-issue for a group imo.

C10DFA1D-79D0-44E6-8C93-20C4CE8B92E6.jpeg