Desert Therapy Session Jan 5-7

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
There are a handful of BRC lost roads I want to check-out/re-check along that route.
Lost roads sound like fun!
Are you wanting to look at the drop from Secret Mesa into Eagle Canyon?

View attachment 167923

As you drop into Eagle Canyon there are some decent size ledges. It’s downhill so the only worry is rockers and rear departure angle. I’d personally take a close look at it if I were in a LWB truck with long overhang. Eva Conover has just a few more technical spots (minor at that) as of my last trip through in April. This climb is loose and has some small ledges but it should a total non-issue for a group imo.

View attachment 167924
I haven't done the section between Eagle and the maintenance shed in a while, and I've only ever climbed it, but I don't remember anything in there to scare most trucks? I think we can get the stockers through there if we pick our lines and maybe stack a few rocks if we have to. And if that's worse than I remember it we can always have the less capable rigs catch I70 right there by the shed and run to the next exit east. The other section of Secret Mesa between Eagle and Justensen Flat is the one DAA thinks will turn a couple of us back and make us detour, and he may be right, I'm not trying to tear this truck up. But again, easy enough to let the more capable rigs go play and the rest of us can hit I70 real quick.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm in.
I needed an excuse to order a BoaFeng.
I kinda wonder if I can pick you all up on my BCA Link 2.0?

It would depend on the radios others have. If they have a dual band, it’s possible. The Kenwood in my 200 Series can do FRS, albeit not legally.

I don’t remember the latest on new offering Boafengs. Are they still MARS/CAP mod from the factory or did the FCC shut that down?

Edit: looks like they clamped down. I suspect it’s easy to modify and/or find a new radio that’s still open.

90A59ED8-F0BA-47E7-BCEE-AC2A797915EF.jpeg

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
On the subject of ham, it's definitely going to be the preferred method of comm, I don't have CB in my truck anymore and I can't get or receive GMRS on my mobile. I have one loaner HT and I know there's several more among the folks coming. Those little Baofengs are cheap, but we should be able to cover anybody who lacks if you don't wanna pick one up.

DAA

I do still need to see what I have scheduled on Friday before committing. But I'm not going into "The Room" and logging on to "The Laptop" on my day off. I'll see what's what in the morning. As long as I don't have any of the Sox audit crap that is going around happening on Friday I should be okay.

- DAA

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Planning a meet up at mouth of Spanish Fark to depart around 0800, if you want to meetup further south like to depart Huntington around 1000. Looks like a church across from the Maverick could be a good meet up last chance for gas. Seemed like the best price in the area when I checked last night.

Early start but would like to maximize our short amount of daylight for the fun that lies ahead of getting Kevin through while Dave is laughing at him.

Kevin and I have a tradition of Taco night in the swell. If more want in, I can grab a few extra pounds of beef and we can do a big pot. Bring your favorite condiments and shells.

If everyone brings a bundle of wood, should be able to keep ourselves physically warm in addition to the whiskey warm in the evening.

DAA

I'm a go but not gonna get the big red pig through devils racetrack. Are we going to caravan down? What Ham freq, the usual (146.460)?
To get an idea about how much I get out, I gassed up the truck in early October and still have over 3/4 tank. I need to fix that.

Just bring a coat.

- DAA