Dirt Bike riding tips & tricks

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Did you feel it was money well spent? Did you walk away with more skills, or will it take a lot of time to practice these?

Yes, definitely was worth the $$$. I definitely walked away with better skills just because of the experience of being there and going through what he puts you through. However, its all about practicing now...

Vonski

nothing to see here...
What's the secret to long hill climbs? This weekend I noticed that I had a lot more traction sitting down on the big hill climbs, but then the front wheel starts to lift and I slide back off the back. These were loose hills covered in rubble. Any tips? I'm not good enough to ride them in 2nd gear.

We spent probably two hours just on long hill climbs. You were allowed a shorter and shorter approach until you had none. Sometimes, we'd have to stop and start on the hill where you'd have both brakes locked to keep from sliding down. You'd be surprised just how much traction the rear tire will still get even if your are leaning over the bars far enough to kiss your fender. Its pretty straight forward... if the front end is coming up, you're not leaning far enough over the front of the bike or sitting far enough forward.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Yes, definitely was worth the $$$. I definitely walked away with better skills just because of the experience of being there and going through what he puts you through. However, its all about practicing now...
^^^^^This. I still take Jack out to where Shane teaches the class and work on the skills with him.

jentzschman

Damn, we covered alot and it wouldn't be difficult to pass most of it along either. It comes down to tons of practice and dropping your bike alot. Of course, taking the class would be ideal, but let me know if ya wanna go out to 5 mile and go over some stuff, as I'll be out there alot just practicing what we did in class.

I would be willing to pay a little to gain some knowledge. If you don't mind, what did that class cost you took?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I!'d pay for a skills class by vonski and anderson750

Whoa buddy, nobody should pay me anything for what i know... ;) I'd be happy to go out and pass along some of the info I learned, but it shouldn't be a substitute for taking a class by someone that really knows their stuff and can apply it really well. I'm planning on spending an hour or two jsut on skills crap whenever i go out to places like 5 mile. I'll let ya know when I'm going out next. You too Trevor...

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
While techniques make riding easier, the ability to execute those techniques without thinking about them is where confidence is gained. That all only comes with practice and experience. The more you practice the quicker you react subconsciously to situations.

MattL

Id be up for some practice time in the saddle. I have problems with proper braking etiquette and power knowledge. Other problems are I am sure is positioning and the other is I tense and lock up. Id be up for some group practice turns, stops, wheelies and climbs. I guess i need more practice\riding time.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Learned a new trick over the weekend... I've heard this briefly mentioned on the Offroad Fanatic Enduro videos, but it never sunk in until Sam mentioned it.

On STEEP climbs, where traction is critical... stand up on the pegs and keep your legs totally straight. This will drive your rear tire into the ground and help you maintain forward progress. When your legs are straight, you can force the rear tire into the ground for traction and use your body weight to your advantage. If you start bending your knees, then you're basically removing your body's weight from the rear tire! You will have to be careful with body positioning and control where your torso is, depending on what you need for weight transfer... moving your upper body back & forth.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This is something I have been doing lately that I really like and think is a benefit.

Lots of single track cuts across side hills. I have noticed if I take my uphill foot off the peg and keep it up and forward like I am turning it really helps my balance. Another benefit is my foot doesn't hit roots or rocks sticking out on the uphill side that is closer to the peg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rholbrook

Sometimes it's easier to lean your bike to the up hill side and put your weight on the down hill side. It makes it easier to balance on those narrow trails. I use weight distribution on the pegs constantly to control the bike. Takes less effort using my lower body where most your strength is. It's amazing how easy and quickly your bike turns when you put weight on the peg to the side you want to turn.