Dirt Bike riding tips & tricks

Tonkaman

I'm such a baby when it comes to tires. I'd rather buy new knobbies just so they swap em got free, hell that's why I run bibs front and rear now!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thought this was worth sharing, setting your fork height based on what kind of riding you'll be doing. I knew fork height made a difference, but didn't realize it was this drastic.

[video=youtube;LvBss_e59GE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvBss_e59GE&list=FL5KSO7Z20x8BgOJijZF85aA[/video]

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Thought this was worth sharing, setting your fork height based on what kind of riding you'll be doing. I knew fork height made a difference, but didn't realize it was this drastic.

I totally missed this... anyway, in relation to the clamps, make sure you don't over-torque the bolts! People do this all the time and it doesn't take much to affect the movement of the internals. Use a torque wrench and don't use any Loctite, just re-check them often.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
I totally missed this... anyway, in relation to the clamps, make sure you don't over-torque the bolts! People do this all the time and it doesn't take much to affect the movement of the internals. Use a torque wrench and don't use any Loctite, just re-check them often.

They actually go over that in the video... made me think twice about having the torque wrench handy! Good info, none the less. ;)

Greg

Admin
Another log crossing video, except parallel! Very neat, looks easy to master too...

[video=youtube;OsNaBO78Y1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsNaBO78Y1Y[/video]

Moabxjeeper

I got some advice for everyone; Don't ride extremely rocky hard-pack with the same tire pressure/suspension settings that you ride motocross with. I didn't ever wreck but it hurts to sit today.. :ugh:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
4 stroke question: I see guys all the time that start their bikes and keep their hand at the back of the exhaust. Why? The only thing I can figure is to gage engine/exhaust temp. Seems silly.

Tonkaman

4 stroke question: I see guys all the time that start their bikes and keep their hand at the back of the exhaust. Why? The only thing I can figure is to gage engine/exhaust temp. Seems silly.

Because it sounds like a helicopter hovering overhead and that makes us cool

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Rider position question: I've been working on standing while riding. I am getting better at leaning forward, and gripping with my legs. According to watsy, you should stand while climbing hills.
While climbing rocky, rough, long, steep climbs I can't stand. I lose control of the bike. I am hanging on to the bars so hard I can't run the controls right.
What do you guys do?

Tonkaman

Rider position question: I've been working on standing while riding. I am getting better at leaning forward, and gripping with my legs. According to watsy, you should stand while climbing hills.
While climbing rocky, rough, long, steep climbs I can't stand. I lose control of the bike. I am hanging on to the bars so hard I can't run the controls right.
What do you guys do?

I find flailing my legs all over the place really intimidates the mountain, and it lets me by

djgardner

If you are holding on so tight with your hands then you aren't doing it right. You do have to hold yourself on the bike with your hands and arms more on hills than flat ground, but you still shouldn't have a death grip on the bars, and you should still squeeze the bike with your legs so they help you stay on the bike.

It's hard to do, and takes a lot of practice and balance (or confidence in your balance...particularly if it's slow, it makes your doubt your balancing ability and temps you to sit down and take your feet of the pegs) but once you get it down, gnarly up hills lose their intimidation factor.