Do people actually fall for this stuff?

JackKeslerCustoms

Dear KSL Classifieds Seller,

Below is a message from a KSL Classifieds user. It has been forwarded to you by ksl.com. Before you respond to it please BEWARE OF FRAUD! The following articles have been provided to help you recognize fraud and help keep you from getting ripped off.

* KSL Fraud Information Page: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=391&sid=222473
* KSL How to be a Safe Effective Seller: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=391&sid=229820
* Nigerian 419 Scam Story: http://www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/060515fa_fact

Name: kelvin
Email: k.clark1983@yahoo.com
Ad Number: 3375736
This Is the Email I received:

Ad Title: 5.2L V8 1997 Grand Cherokee

Hello,

Compliments of the season to you and your family?

Let me introduce myself as Mr Kelvin, I came across your advert which really cut my interest and I will like to further on the purchase...I will like to know your real reason for selling...Where exactly are you located?...what is your final asking price?

I await your earliest reply.

Greetings.
Kelvin

This Is my response:

My hope was to get ripped off by some bullshit cashiers check scam, prefferably by some one out of the country. Know anyone who could help me out with that?

Jack Kesler Customs LLC
8062 S. State Midvale, UT 874047
ph801-568-0154

And This is his next Response:

Hello
Thanks for your mail and the price stated,it is indeed okay by me.

I will like you to know that the payment you will be receiving will be an over payment in form of a cashiers check which will be issued and forwarded to you by my client.The payment should be cashed at your bank in 3-5days.

The shipping charges will be included in the payment you will be receiving and it will be made payable to shipping agent who will be coming over to your location to arrange pick-up for the Goods.

Let me have your details in the below form who the payment.

Full name:
Physical mailing address:
Contact tel numbers(home & mobile):
Final asking price:
Email:

My shipping agent will notify with the transportation details in due course.

looking forward to your quick reply.

Greetings

Does Bull$hit Scam mean something else in Nigerian?:confused:

jdub

Scrambler
I used to get a ton of emails when I sold stuff online, I don't much care for it anymore. as soon as I saw the word "advert" I hit the delete button. Nigerians will go far to get info, I've seen checks mailed, the banks always say there's nothing they can do.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I love to egg these guys on, I have received 3 fake Cashier checks to date.

I wait till I receive the check then a few days later I'll get a message from them asking if I received the check, I reply "yes I received the check and deposited it the same day, last night I received a call from the FBI Fraud division and they asked me to come in this morning to talk about the fake check I deposited, sorry but I had to give them a copy off every e mail send between us and there is a agent standing behind me watching me send this to you now. Better run.."

I usually don't hear from them again.

There was this one guy that kept it up for a bit, he replied saying he didn't understand what I was saying and asked if I had deposited the check again. I replied and said the FBI has your check now and they are investigating your fraudulent ways..

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I love to egg these guys on, I have received 3 fake Cashier checks to date...

Sadly this often hurts their other victims, or at least makes their process a little more drawn out.

The cashiers checks they sent you are either purchased with a stolen identity (be it a stolen credit card or a credit care someone never knew they had). The scams are very dynamic, changing their operation like the wind. Even the postage for the money order they send is often paid for using a stolen credit card or shipping account.

IMO the best thing to do... is simply ignore or reply with a "f**k off"... Stringing them out doesn't cost them a dime and just minutes of their time.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
Sadly this often hurts their other victims, or at least makes their process a little more drawn out.

The cashiers checks they sent you are either purchased with a stolen identity (be it a stolen credit card or a credit care someone never knew they had). The scams are very dynamic, changing their operation like the wind. Even the postage for the money order they send is often paid for using a stolen credit card or shipping account.

IMO the best thing to do... is simply ignore or reply with a "f**k off"... Stringing them out doesn't cost them a dime and just minutes of their time.

Well sorry but I choose to mess with them.

The check the FBI has now wasn't bought it was printed from a laser printer.Yes maybe they bought the printer with a stolen card but it was bought long before I started messing with them,

The bank had no record of the check even being printed BTW as per the FBI.

I will continue to drag out any of them that contact me. Sorry if that bugs you but hey it's still the US so I get to do what ever I want within the realm of the law.

utahxjer

It's sad people fall for it. One guy came into the PD a few weeks ago with one. He deposited the check and was NOW wondering if it was real. Told him not to mess with it anymore, I called the guy/suspect, he hung up on me after a few minutes....

skybob

I enjoy selling my goods to the cleients asking for them. I also am still waiting on the shipping company to send me my 1969 ZL1 Camaro I bought off KSL for $6000. ;)