Dogs on the trail

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
how does everyone feel about this? I've a 2.5 year old mix that loves being out in the desert with us, but hasn't quite figured out that the Jeep could crush her like a grape. we're slowly working with her as we get the opportunity (alone and away from anyone else). she usually rides with us, but we will take her out of the Jeep on the harder stuff, so she doesnt get thrown into the cage, or thrown out of the Jeep.

how does everyone else keep an eye on their dog on the trail? or do you leave them at home?

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I have a English Bulldog named Molly that I bring out on the trail. The rule I use is that when my wife gets out on obstacles she takes Molly out and keeps her on a leash around obstacles. We usually let her run around camp until she starts bugging people then she goes back on the leash that I hook to my truck.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
My dog is too old now, but he wheeled with me for about 10 years. I took him out when he was young to learn & so he could be with other dogs that knew good trail edicate... Unfortunately, Im sure that some breads or just some particular dogs just won't be a good fit. He was always concious of moving vehicles and really never got in the way... I was lucky that he was just good at picking up the characteristics of other great dogs. (some no no's are running at the trucks or chasing the tires, lying undernieth parked rigs, not listening to commands to stay out of the way)

Running along side the group is my perfered method due to being thrown around the rig or a potential rollover, but it gets super dry and hot in UT so long trails can be quite hard on our little friends.

sixstringsteve

My dog doesn't see vehicles as a danger either. Until he does, its my responsibility to make sure he is safe. If he isn't staying out of the way, he goes back in the rig. He loves camping and wheeling and I love having him around. X2 on what jinkspot said, dogs teach each other far better than humans can. My dog is obedient, but if I didn't keep my eye on him, he would be crushed. If I'm too busy to keep my eye in him, he doesn't come out. Its my responsibility to make sure he doesn't get squished. I'm curious about hearing others' advice as well.

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
From the get go I taught my dog about cars and how to behave around them/in them. So from a pup he was wheeling with me and learning the basics. While in the vehicle he was taught to lean into the seat back to help keep himself stable while teetering on rocks and bumps. While out of the vehicle and on the trail he was taught to stay 16+ feet in front of or behind the vehicle. Same if not more while on the sides. Pretty easy to teach just like anything else. Have somebody keep the dog on a leash at first and walk the trail along with the vehicle, the person keeping the distance you want the dog to learn. Just like teaching a dog anything else it's all about repetition and reward. Eventually take the dog off the leash and use voice commands to keep the dog in check. After a bit it just knows, at least that's how it worked with my dog.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
My pup Copper was on the trail 2 weeks after I got her. She got used to vehicles very quick as she went with me to Twin Falls 5 nights a week for a few months.
15935_212495352802_8270483_n.jpg

Since I don't run with doors anymore, I have made a harness for her. This is what I started with. Strap to the cage, hooked to her leash harness. I worked ok, but was sloppy. But she learned that whenever the motor started or we began moving, she would lay down and hold the seat with her front paws.
DSC_2165.jpg

Every time we went out I worked on the harness. Now there is a strap that comes through the seat and hooks to the bottom of the harness. It works well since she can sit or lay down while strapped in and only takes a few second to hook up or unhook. I still take her out on harder obstacles, and she will stay near someone she knows.

littlyota

I bring mine most of the time. The only issue is when the food comes out. I have to leash her then, as she can be annoying. Never aggressive, just the begging is annoying. I got her from a rescue, not sure who fed her from the hand.

Toad

I have a Lab that I bring with me. He is very obedient. Usually I can tell him to sit and he will not move until I tell him to. I also have a Pug. Dumbest dog ever.

rholbrook

I hate people who don't keep their dog out of the river when I am fishing. I warned a gut twice before I put a hook in his lab. I hated to do it. I always crimp my barbs so it was an easy out but I taught the owner a lesson I am sure

littlyota

I hate people who don't keep their dog out of the river when I am fishing. I warned a gut twice before I put a hook in his lab. I hated to do it. I always crimp my barbs so it was an easy out but I taught the owner a lesson I am sure

Not sure why you posted that on this thread.

I don't know the whole story, how close he was, did you ask him to move, how long he was in the area, did the lab just jump in to cool off and play for a minute, etc, etc, etc. I understand your frustration, but he has just as much right to be there as you do. It is public lands after all. You and I would have problems if you pulled that on me. Not picking a fight, but be careful messing with someones dog.

Cascadia

Undecided
Not sure why you posted that on this thread.

I don't know the whole story, how close he was, did you ask him to move, how long he was in the area, did the lab just jump in to cool off and play for a minute, etc, etc, etc. I understand your frustration, but he has just as much right to be there as you do. It is public lands after all. You and I would have problems if you pulled that on me. Not picking a fight, but be careful messing with someones dog.
He obviously asked the guy to move the dog out of the way. It says in his post that he warned the guy twice. He may have the right to be there but that is the same thing as saying the dog has the right to walk in front of someone else's rig while they're wheeling. That's why it's in this thread, same concept.

littlyota

He obviously asked the guy to move the dog out of the way. It says in his post that he warned the guy twice. He may have the right to be there but that is the same thing as saying the dog has the right to walk in front of someone else's rig while they're wheeling. That's why it's in this thread, same concept.

My bad. I missed the "warned twice" part. I as said, not looking for a fight.

Back on topic, I don't think my dog would talk to me for a week if I left her home for a wheeling trip. Now if it only worked the same way with the wife. :D

Cascadia

Undecided
I'd still be pretty ticked if my dog got hooked, especially since most fish weigh more than my dog. But I'm sure it would prove a point. I let my dog out only when were stopped. He's too small to let anything happen. He usually just sits in my lap the whole time.

skeptic

I have no issue with people bringing their dogs on the trail, but I no longer bring mine on the trails or camping. They are generally well behaved, until they see another dog. At that point one of my two dogs will run off barking it's brains out to go play, the other one following. She will not come stop or come back until she has greeted the other dog. She's never been in a fight, but I could see another dog "defending itself" and attacking when she comes running up barking. They also go nuts when they see a horse, but fortunately I've always had them on a leash when a horse came by. It's too bad really, I like taking them offroad or camping, but one dog just loses all ability to listen when it sees another animal for the first time. It's not like my dogs are not around other dogs, we have friends with dogs and it's common for them to bring dogs here or for our dogs to be there.

ricsrx

i guess an older mellow dog wandering around is not an issue for me but the hyper annoying dogs getting in my face or wheeling space wouldnt like.

so far I have not experenced any negitive problems with dogs on the trail. So thank you to those that have dogs and are conserned about thier behavior.

jentzschman

I have no issues with dogs on the trail, I quite enjoy it actually. Just as long, as others have mentioned, they are keep safe and not causing to much of a ruckus.

Toad

We went to Tony Grove about 6 weeks ago. My lab was next to me with no leash on. As we approached the lake he was going nuts. Jumping up and down wagging the tail. He will not leave me side until I tell him to. I always make sure that nobody is fishing or little kids are playing in the water.