Don't hate or laugh at this question.

Ok. I know this site is for serious 4x4er's. I am not, I honestly only drive on dirt roads. never anything extreme. I ended up getting a subaru crosstrek. I know its AWD not 4x4. I know the differences. Luckily it does have high ground clearance. I'm wanting to hit the back country for weekend get a ways. I'm looking for books/trails that a subaru can go on. I know there a lot of books for 4x4's out there that talks about easy roads that lead to fun places? What do you recommend?

sixstringsteve

check out expeditionutah.com. They cater to more exploration vs rock crawling. I applaud your efforts to ensure a route is legal before just heading down it. Thank you.

And welcome to RME. Be careful, if you stick around here too long you'll end up with a roll cage and a lift on that thing. :D

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Four wheeling in a Subi goes against everything other Subi owners stand for. Good for you! :D

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
The do make a mild "lift" for most Subarus.... But seriously, you will find more than a few members of the forum who do own a Subaru as their daily driver and camping vehicle, tons of spots you can get to in Utah with one. Once we have children we are planning to replace our Mazda 3 with an Outback Sport wagon.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My grandfather drove thousands of miles of dirt roads in the canyons around Utah in a ford tempo. What you are driving is way less important than where it is taking you, even if you are driving the preferred vehicle for females of an alternative lifestyle:)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Ha, I had never heard of that until my Dad told me like 10 years ago, then he told me about their old commercials.

This ad is a complete parody, but it illustrates the point:

29664d1302533340-our-forester-forester.jpg

As a Subaru salesman of nearly ten years, I must admit it is far closer to reality than most people around here realize.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Come on people... it's a vehicle. Please keep this on topic. I'd hate for RME to turn into Pirate insecurity trashtalk dotcom. :)

Great my new car is a chick magnet...the alternative lifestyle chicks that is.. great, just great. thanks for the books and web pages. I plan on taking the subaru backcountry I'll gladly let you know how it handles.

Westernhunter

My buddy's mom had a Subaru wagon in the '80's. We wheeled the heck out of that thing. Amazing where one of those things will go if you have no concern for it. :)

I just bought a Subi Outback for my wife, and she has already rallied it through the snow to the cabin, so I can vouch for it's go anywhere ability, heh heh. Seriously, we love it, and I like it that she has a car that is somewhat capable. Most dirt roads throughout the state will be passable by your car. We actually have to look pretty hard for roads that are worthy of the mega-mods that most of us have on our rigs.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I always wanted a Subaru BRAT. And I drool over the first gen Forest 2.5XT.

As Steve said, check out Expedition Utah. We plan a lot of trips that a Subaru with some AT's could do. And I suspect with gas prices continuing to climb, more people will be choosing vehicles like that to get out and explore.

dash

there is an older subi on Orem that has super swampers on it. makes me think anything is possible.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Charles Wells wrote a really good one for the Moab area that covers a lot of simple backroad drives as well as the rock crawling trails. It covers a large portion of the southeastern part of Utah. Thats about the only one I can think of right now though.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Backroa...id=1365385171&sr=1-1&keywords=moab+4x4+trails
You should be able to do all of the easy rated trails in this book just fine. You can do many of the moderate rated trails also, but it may require more careful driving.

I really like those Crosstreks. Subarus are great vehicles. I had a Legacy Outback that I loved, though I would have preferred a more aggressive tire.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
I have owned (and killed) many subaru's over the years, this is simple. You can go pretty much anywhere that is not a rock crawling trail. The uinta's is a great place for you to start, I can't think of a single road (trail) that you couldn't go on up there.