Drag link angle questions

jsudar

I'm in a fight with my steering arm and pitman arm. The steering arm is too long in relation to the pitman arm to get full steering travel, which sucks, especially in a full size.

Right now, the drag link is parallel with the axle with the wheels straight ahead. If I switch to shorter high steer arms, it will put the drag link at an angle in relation to the axle center line. Is that a bad thing? Will that give me weird handling issues?

The truck is not a daily driver, but does need to be able to drive on the freeway (to get to Moab or some other far away trail.) What do you think?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It'll be fine. The amount of angle you'd be looking at wouldn't be enough to worry about.

jsudar

I'll be switching to a BTA setup, so the new arms will be around 2" shorter.

My next question is: will I need to shorten my track bar too?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The only reason you'll need to change the length of your trackbar, is if you change the length of your drag link. Unless the arms are a lot different than the old ones (not just length, but angle) I'd assume the length will remain relatively the same.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
hahah I'm having the opposite issue: my Pitman arm is a wee bit too short relative to the steering arm! I'm about 1/2" off the stops at full lock. :(

anyway. Carry on.