EcoBoost

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Wife has a P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). Going to go for new plugs, as I doubt they have been changed in a looooong time.
Do I care if I get motorcraft or not? I was eyeballing the Bosch equivalent... but I have read the ecoboost forum boys cry foul over anything but motorcraft.

STAG

On my grind
I don’t have any CEL’s on in my ecoboost work truck, (114k mi) but recently I’ve noticed if I get on the throttle a bit I do feel a stutter, almost like a misfire. Doesn’t happen if I drive conservatively.

I run premium fuel and it’s current on oil changes. My coworker seems to think it may be related to the turbos, but whatever it is, it doesn’t feel like it’s going to be something cheap.

I really am not wholely sold on ecoboosts in general. I feel like all the ones I’ve had for work trucks are great until right about 100k miles and then disappointing.

Pike2350

I have used a few different brands for plugs and haven't noticed a difference. The biggest thing is I read to change every 40-50k or so....that is what I have done

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I am going to do plugs and coils for out 100k tune up. Is OE Motorcraft the right answer for that?

Wife has a P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). Going to go for new plugs, as I doubt they have been changed in a looooong time.
Do I care if I get motorcraft or not? I was eyeballing the Bosch equivalent... but I have read the ecoboost forum boys cry foul over anything but motorcraft.

Looks like I lost my mind.

Went an bought new plugs. Pulled the old ones out, and they looked new still...

Moved the coil from cyl. 1 to 2, the misfire moved as well. Looks like I'll go grab one of those.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I don’t have any CEL’s on in my ecoboost work truck, (114k mi) but recently I’ve noticed if I get on the throttle a bit I do feel a stutter, almost like a misfire. Doesn’t happen if I drive conservatively.
This is what mine did for a bit until it completely went into full misfire. All new plugs and a couple coils fixed it up just fine.

STAG

On my grind

I run premium fuel and it’s current on oil changes. My coworker seems to think it may be related to the turbos, but whatever it is, it doesn’t feel like it’s going to be something cheap.

I really am not wholely sold on ecoboosts in general. I feel like all the ones I’ve had for work trucks are great until right about 100k miles and then disappointing.
It happened. Cyl 5 misfire.

ED7AB50E-6B19-4D69-AA6A-1274F9BEFA72.jpeg

rholbrook

My 2012 EcoBoost has 295K miles on it. It’s had 3 exhaust manifolds and one tuneup and one coil pack. It still runs good. My 2021 EcoBoost developed the shutter and I took it in for an update on the tune. It just started to do it again so I will take it back in soon. I still like mine. I could have a 3/4 or 1 ton for a daily driver but I like driving an F150. I am on my 4th one in a row. I went from a GMC 1500 before that. I had an expedition with an eco boost for a bit too.

Pike2350

My 2012 EcoBoost has 295K miles on it. It’s had 3 exhaust manifolds and one tuneup and one coil pack. It still runs good. My 2021 EcoBoost developed the shutter and I took it in for an update on the tune. It just started to do it again so I will take it back in soon. I still like mine. I could have a 3/4 or 1 ton for a daily driver but I like driving an F150. I am on my 4th one in a row. I went from a GMC 1500 before that. I had an expedition with an eco boost for a bit too.

My biggest issue right now is the manifold. At $3-5k to replace it's a lot to dump. My Trans has started to feel that it shifts a little hard....but I had a flush done for the 120k service (now at 146k) so. Ot sure if it is just my mind.

Outside of brakes, a turn signal shift, oil changes and plugs I haven't done anything to it...a few small annoyances now like a rear camera going out and the sunroof had a peice broke so it won't open....but overall it's been great for the 100k+ I've driven it.

rholbrook

My biggest issue right now is the manifold. At $3-5k to replace it's a lot to dump. My Trans has started to feel that it shifts a little hard....but I had a flush done for the 120k service (now at 146k) so. Ot sure if it is just my mind.

Outside of brakes, a turn signal shift, oil changes and plugs I haven't done anything to it...a few small annoyances now like a rear camera going out and the sunroof had a peice broke so it won't open....but overall it's been great for the 100k+ I've driven it.
I have had my mainifolds done at Lodder Automotive in Bountiful. For some reason I remember it being in the $1,200 range but I'm old and can't remember what I had for breakfast. As far as the tranny is concerned, mine would on occasion feel like someone ass ended me. When i took it to the dealer they disconnected it from the battery for a bit and let the computer forget you were driving like an old man. Occasionally you need to drive it like you stole it because it tries to figure out how you drive and make it nicer for you. I don't know how true that is but, it would run better after that. Maybe they were hiding the truth from me, I don't know. I won't own a sunroof for that reason and I don't like the sun beating down on me in the summer anyway. The roof in my wife's car is completely glass. I had a ceramic tint put on it. I was told once that you either have a car payment or a repair bill. The dealer calls me probably quarterly to see if I want a new vehicle. My answer is always the same, get me 0% financing and I am game. I don't mind a payment, but only if I can keep my money earning interest and not paying interest for something.

Pike2350

Give Taylor-made custom exhaust a call. That seems pretty high to me.. but I don't know.

I called Tunex referenced in This Thread and was quoted $3k and another $3k for the turbos because it is roughly done in the same process.

I also sent a DM to Coco after he said he's done them at his shop. With Factory manifolds, it was around $5k. Maybe there are cheaper ways, but I've received quotes for the high prices and have been told the cab needs to be removed for it....so the high price made sense. Not that I want to absorb that however.

I will call and see if they can do it, but so far my truck is running, no CEL is on, so I'm running it as is....but know, if i keep the truck I will need it sometime in the near future.