EcoDiesel

rholbrook

Its time to get a new truck. I have loved my EcoBoost but its time for a new truck. I have actually kept this one longer that I normally keep a truck and have racked up almost 70K miles with no issues.

I am looking at two trucks. The first is to replace my EcoBoost with a new one but I will get the longer bed in it. I still like the dark gray and I will still probably get it all loaded up again though Nav is not a must for me. I really like the new body style on the Fords.

My second option is the new EcoDiesel from Dodge. I know nothing about them but I am going today to go drive one. Does anyone here have one and if so, what are your thoughts. Is it worth it to get the EcoDiesel?

jentzschman

EcoDiesel is a fun name for a diesel that has lost the diesel. :)

I know nothing about them other then I hear the rated 29mpg is closer to 23/24 in real word use. What mpg were you getting wit the ecoboost?

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I'm interested to read your impressions. I really like the Eco Boost engine and the F150 platform in general. I would have a hard time buying a Dodge without a 1 ton drivetrain and a Cummins. It sounds like they have upped their game, it'll be nice to haer from someone that can compare them directly.

rholbrook

EcoDiesel is a fun name for a diesel that has lost the diesel. :)

I know nothing about them other then I hear the rated 29mpg is closer to 23/24 in real word use. What mpg were you getting wit the ecoboost?

On the highway pre-80 mph I could get just over 20 mpg empty on the highway. Around town its 15. The MPG isnt really any better than the V8 option, its just a whole lot funner to drive with the HP and torgue and I love how it pulls.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
When they came out I went and drove one to see if I should trade my '12 Hemi 1500. Definitely not as much giddy-up as my Hemi but still a really cool truck. Once the buzz around them dies down and the prices drop I will consider the trade. Until then the premium on the sticker price would take years for me to pay off with fuel mileage and the uncertainty that is diesel fuel prices still bothers me too much to take the leap.
One thing is for sure though, I have really loved the 1500 platform in the 3 years I've had mine.

joshbmx1201

UAV MECHANIC
When they came out I went and drove one to see if I should trade my '12 Hemi 1500. Definitely not as much giddy-up as my Hemi but still a really cool truck. Once the buzz around them dies down and the prices drop I will consider the trade. Until then the premium on the sticker price would take years for me to pay off with fuel mileage and the uncertainty that is diesel fuel prices still bothers me too much to take the leap.
One thing is for sure though, I have really loved the 1500 platform in the 3 years I've had mine.

this is what i was thinking too. seems like the perfect truck for me and considering it in the future. still been hoping to hear real world feedback as well. i cant justify the maintenance and expense on a 1 ton diesel just to pull a buggy around a couple times a month.

are they offering the lifetime warranty option on the eco diesel as well?

N-Smooth

i cant justify the maintenance and expense on a 1 ton diesel just to pull a buggy around a couple times a month.

Exactly. I love big diesels as much as the next guy but I didn't want to have one as my daily just to tow with it occasionally. My decision has treated me very well

DAA

Supporting Member
are they offering the lifetime warranty option on the eco diesel as well?

Good question. I asked the same one. Didn't seem like anyone really knows.

I've got the Mopar lifetime max care on my '13 Hemi 1500 and it does state right in the contract that diesel equipped vehicles are excluded.

So, I asked the guys at LHM about that and whether I'd be able to get the same warranty on an Ecodiesel. They said they didn't think the diesel exclusion applied to the Eco, just the Cummins. They were willing to sell me the warranty, put it that way. So I emailed a dealer back east for a quote (cheapest I could find) and they said they actually could not give me an exact quote without a VIN. Then they said they were pretty sure I couldn't get a lifetime for the Eco anyway. They were running about $2250 for a gas model though, LHM was asking $4500 for the same piece of paper :rolleyes:. But, I also got LHM to throw it in for free when I bought my '13, so...

So I emailed Mopar, and just got a generic canned response that did not even address my question...

This was about a year ago. But, basically, I asked two different dealers and got two different answers so I asked the source and got no answer at all. Nice...

But, like I said, my lifetime max care contract does say diesels are excluded. So, for now, I'm saying no, not available for the Ecodiesel.

At the end of the day, the Eco would not make any sense for me anyway though. At my current miles per year, it would take at least 10 years to make up the difference in cost on fuel savings and that is only if diesel doesn't go crazy again. And MPG is really the only thing it has over my Hemi. I've been driving 3/4 ton diesels for the last 15 years before buying this half ton and had really got sick and tired of paying diesel fuel prices.

I'd get the Ecoboost if towing and hauling are a priority. Get the Ram if price, ride, amenities and warranty are higher on your list (they were on mine...). Get the Tundra if you like paying extra to prove your blind brand loyalty. It looks like Chevy is actually trying to compete again too, they might be worth considering again? They weren't when I bought mine.

- DAA

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
It's a diesel AND a Dodge... that right there is enough for me to stay away. ;)

Honestly, I've read not so great things about the engine, but don't have any experience beyond hearsay.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Your Jeep is a Dodge... ;)

4 wheeler mag had nothing but good things to say about the motor and towing with them.

With a factory linked rear and airbags they ride like a dream, truly like a big 300C.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have 2 friends with the Dodge EcoDiesel. One of them bought his when they first hit the lot and put about 25000 miles on it the first year. He uses it as his farm truck and he loves it.......that is a lot coming from him since he is a die hard Ford guy. The other bought it for his wife a few months ago when he traded in her Hemi 1500. So far they like theirs.

EB101

I can give a little early feedback on the '15 f150. First. I had a '12 with the long bed, a topper, and 3.73 gears and the mileage averaged around 16 on the highway. Driving to St.George empty and near (or a little above) the speed limit it would be about the same. Now the '15 has ~3.40? gears and is a shortbed and the same trip to St.George averaged 19 and it's not broke in yet. Still under 5k miles and I've towed my 10k lb 24' box trailer to Moab and Delta. It has 12 inches extra height too. Still getting over 10 which is a little low but it does it so easily it probably would have been 6 with my old hemi dodge (the tranny would have blown too). BTW, that's about what I got towing my Bronco on my little flatbed with the 12.

Overall, the '12 was a great truck. It was never in the shop. The '15 is a whole bunch better.
My last ecoboost the mileage kept going up over ~ 6 months Maybe this one will too.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Your Jeep is a Dodge... ;)

Yeah, it has made that obvious already. Dodge build quality is getting better, but it still sucks. I don't see the Italian diesel engine having near the following that Cummins does and how Cummins made a Dodge worth owning. Matter of fact, the Cummins is the only reason TO buy a Dodge. It would have been nice to see the EcoDeisel built with a Cummins ISB 3.3 that was tweaked to make 300+ ft/lbs, but Fiat didn't see that worth doing.

I think the Nissan with a Cummins V8 is an interesting option... I'd like to spend some time in one of those.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've spent some time in a few Titans and had an Armada. That platform is super solid. Huge interior that feels much smaller when driving/parking the vehicle. I am a pretty big Ford fan but I'd definitely look at the Titan. Not sure if they offer it in a "longbed" crew cab. I could never go back to a sub 6' bed.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I've spent some time in a few Titans and had an Armada. That platform is super solid. Huge interior that feels much smaller when driving/parking the vehicle. I am a pretty big Ford fan but I'd definitely look at the Titan. Not sure if they offer it in a "longbed" crew cab. I could never go back to a sub 6' bed.

I love my Tundra. The CrewMax has TONS of room inside. This weekend, we were able to stuff 12 people inside during a downpour out in the desert. However, it comes at a small sacrifice...only a 5.5' bed, which can be very frustrating at times. The Double Cab offers a 6.5' foot bed, which I would love to have. I'm happy to see Dodge offering a crew cab, long-bed option...I just can't get myself to buy a Dodge. I'm still holding onto the pipe dream that Toyota slides a Cummings into the Tundra!

rholbrook

I went and drove both the EcoDiesel and the Hemi yesterday. I have to admit they drove really nice but is there a 1/2 ton truck out there that doesnt? I drove the ones that were loaded up with the airride suspension and it was pretty cool when they would raise and lower automatically as speed increased or decreased. The diesel was really quiet. Seemed to have plenty of get up and go until I drove the Hemi. It clearly had the advantage there. There were some neat features under the rear seat as well as some cool storage under the floor.

There were lots of PROs but only one really BIG CON. You can't expect anyone to ride in the middle of the rear seat. It is so small and uncomfortable. That truck realistically becomes a 4 seater unless you get the bench in the front and then you can maybe get a 5th body in there. My youngest said that the front middle seat in my F150 was more comfortable than the middle rear of the Dodge. The F150 SuperCrew has hands down the best rear seat and area of any of the 1/2 tons out there.

The $3K add for the diesel would not pay for itself during my short ownership period so that put the Hemi in front of me. There isnt anything wrong with the Hemi, great motor.

I began looking to youtube for comparisons and saw this video. It isnt even the EcoBoost 3.6Ltr. I dont pull a ton but enough that I enjoy plenty of power. I am really struggling to get something different. Maybe I will go look at the Titan. I have plenty of friends with the Toyota and they all have the same complaint. MPG sucks.
[video=youtube;NP3AM6VtfZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP3AM6VtfZE[/video]

N-Smooth

The middle of the rear seat is randomly smaller and I never understood it. We've put 6 guys in my truck regardless for a 4ish hr drive to go dirt biking but the person who gets that seat definitely draws the short straw.

DAA

Supporting Member
My '13 Ram 1500 is the crew cab, 6' 4" (short bed, if you ask me...). But that was one of the things that really narrowed the field, when I was buying a new half ton two years ago. It was basically Ford or Ram for a lot of reasons at that time, but they were the only two that offered the cab and bed config I wanted, so it really was down to those two. For my purposes and priorities, the Ram was the winner between those them. But I could have been happy with an EcoBoost too. And if heavier towing and hauling were a priority, the EB would have been the clear winner. The F-150 has changed a lot with the new version, it looks even more compelling now.

I was looking for a truck that I knew I was going to keep for a long time. Ten years or more. So, resale was of no importance, but warranty was of much importance. The EcoBoost would have cost me about $5K more, and had only a 3 year warranty vs. the lifetime warranty I got with the Ram. Neither the extra $5K nor the warranty would not have mattered if I was only keeping the truck 3 or 4 years. As I'd have got most of the higher price back on re-sale/trade-in and wouldn't have been keeping it past the warranty period anyway. But, knowing I was going to be keeping the truck a long time, the price difference did matter and the huge difference in warranty mattered even more.

And, I didn't need the significantly higher tow/haul rating of the F-150 either. The Ram, while pitiful in this area, is "enough" for my needs and purposes.

The Ram definitely rides a lot nicer. Coil/link vs. leafs is no contest. A big reason I went half ton for the first time in my life, is my back can't take the ride of an empty 3/4 ton for 10 hours at a time anymore (even the new coil/link Ram 2500's aren't as plush as my 1500). So, the difference in ride quality, which is pretty big, was more important to me than it would be to most truck buyers. Heck, I remember when ride quality meant literally nothing to me in a truck. Now it means a lot.

The interior finish and features of the Ram were definitely a step above the F-150 two years ago too, comparing the King Ranch to the Laramie Longhorn, the Ram was just plain nicer and better thought out and configured. I think the new '15 F-150 has definitely improved on that score though.

I knew I'd be putting 34's or 35's on my new truck the day I bought it. The Ram is cheaper/easier to fit those size tires on - you can run 35's with just a leveling kit. And it was another area the Ram cost less, as the Ford dealers wouldn't do anything for me on new tires but LHM set me up with all new Duratrac's (34's) for $800.

My next tires will probably be 35's and I won't have to change anything except the wheels. I'd have had to change quite a bit on the F-150 to properly fit 35's.

EB was the obvious winner in MPG and with the '15 model is doing even better. For how I have my truck setup (34's and 3.92's), talking to several EB owners, real life MPG between the '13s is that the EB actually only gets about 2 MPG better (MPG comments in this thread are right in line with that too, my Hemi w/8 speed avgs 18 MPG to St. George and back empty, doing 80-85 MPH and gets 14-15 around town). For how few miles I put on my truck, it would have taken forever and ever to make up the $5K difference in cost on MPG. It really just wasn't an issue in my decision.

I love, love, love the Ram boxes. The other mfg's need to figure out how to offer the same thing without infringing any patents or anything - they're awesome.

But, anyway... Things have changed a lot in the two short years since I did all my research. So my information is all dated. But back then, for my needs and priorities only Ford and Ram were really worth considering. Ram won for me, for the reasons outlined above. Ford has improved a lot of things with the '15 F-150. Ram hasn't really changed much, except for the new diesel option which in my mind should only make sense for a limited number of buyers.

My two cents... If you are towing a boat to Powell, maybe a car hauler or heavier bumper pull now and then, only keeping it a few years, neither the price difference or the warranty really matter. If you need to tow and haul heavier loads the F-150 totally kills the Ram. So, in you shoes Russ, I think I'd probably just go get another new EcoBoost :D.

- DAA