EcoDiesel

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I picked up a 2015 Ecodiesel going on a month ago. Had 17000 miles when I got it. Every day I get closer to loving it. I'm not seeing the empty MPG that most are claiming, but it's close. I think I also drive faster than most of the guys with this truck. For me, the main thing is that my old truck got 14 MPG empty. Towing, it dropped to 10ish. And when it was towing it couldn't keep up with a Yugo. This last weekend my family went to Lake Mead with our boat. The boat comes in at about 6000 pounds with the trailer. I set the CC at 70 almost the entire way. Seems we were very seldom on flat ground during this trip of just over 1000 miles. We averaged 15.2 MPG. I was very happy with that number! And it pulled the hills very well. There was only a few times where I dropped the CC to 65 MPH on hills, just to put it back into 6th gear, instead of 5th at about 4000 RPMs. For me, I've always kind of measured my towing ability while climbing the big hill heading south out of Scipio on I-15. I think it dropped to 7th gear, but stayed right at 70. I was happy with that. But one thing that really sets the truck apart compared to all my old trucks is the ability to stop. My boat has surge brakes, which are never as good as electric. So in the past it has always needed even longer stopping room. This truck will just about stop my boat on a dime! I just love the stopping power, to the point where it almost bugs me how hard it stops when empty. It has taken a while to get used to its smaller feeling size, too. My old truck was a 3/4 ton chevy and felt huge while driving. This one feels MUCH smaller. I still turn too wide when pulling into a parking space. With the coil suspension it drives like a car. It's very smooth. I was nervous to hook the boat up to it for the first time. I thought the coils on the rear were going to be way too soft. Turns out the truck squats down perfectly level. I guess that just means it has the perfect tongue weight.
The weird thing about this new engine is how HOT it likes to run. The T-stat doesn't even begin to open until it's at 225*. I had it at over 230 going to Mead. Trans temp never got over 203*. Engine oil went up to 261*. I've been told to run it flat out and then let the computer take over and de-fuel it as needed to cool it down. I'm not sure what temps that happens at.

The bad: Well, let me think.... I HATE the tow mirrors. Ram, just copy everyone else's tow mirrors please. I wish it had an ash tray. I'm not a smoker, but I need a place to drop my coins. I don't want to mess with the stupid coin organizer it has.

The bad bad: Will mine be one of the few that slips a cam gear? Or maybe snaps the crank in two, for apparently no reason? Maybe the oil cooler will fail and mix with my coolant? Maybe spin a rod bearing, busting the rod out the block? Time will tell... now where is some wood I can knock on?
I had it serviced just before we left for Mead. I took an oil analysis bottle with me to have them fill it when they drained the oil. They "forgot" to fill it. I was pretty upset about that. Now that I have 1000 miles on the oil I will do it myself and use it for a baseline reading. I'll do an OA each oil change.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Welcome to the club! :D I have nearly 20k miles on mine and so far 0 issues. Averaging about 25mpg empty. This truck does like to run hot, which is why most people that have problems will drive days (even weeks) without ever getting the engine up to operating temp (~206º) because their commute is so short.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My in-laws bought a used one about 2 months ago. It has been in the shop something like 17 times in 2 months. Fixed under warranty, but still..... It gets good mileage, it drives nice, it is just always in the shop.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
From what I'm gathering, they are either just fantastic or lemons. I was able to get all the service records on my truck from the selling dealer. Nothing was done to it other than 2 services when the old owner had it, and now 1 service from the time I have had it it almost 19000 miles. I'm hoping that means mine will be fantastic and not a lemon.
I'm by no means sticking up for Ram, but it seems this is pretty common when new engines come to market. I expect great things from this engine in the next few years.

Cascadia

Undecided
I'm trying to hold out for a new jeep truck but the dealerships are saying and revealing nothing. It's time for me to get a new truck in January. My 2016 is getting old. I'm thinking I'll get s keep truck and downgrade my current Denali 3500 to an 04-06 gmc 3500 just for the big towing duties.

joshbmx1201

UAV MECHANIC
I pulled the trigger and bought one in March after a deer totaled my car. Absolutely love it. Most of the issues I have heard about have been on early build dates. 2016 issues seem to be much more rare. I'm averaging about 24-25mpg mixed driving. I did a 1200 mile road trip in a loaded rental ecoboost before I bought this truck which is what steered me to the ram.

I would like to do the green diesel engineering tune to shut off the egr and squeeze out a little more fuel mileage. Also h&s has a really nice kit to replace the factory oil cooler so you don't ever have to worry about mixing coolant/oil.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Figured this was the most relevant place to put this. First real road trip in the new ride. '14 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 crew cab short bed w/ 6speed. Quite happy with the mileage considering I was doing 80 on the interstate 70+ most of the highway, with some mixed city driving at my destination

81409b1e607acb69cf9d14b3bff75146.jpg

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Have you manually checked the mileage also? I'd be curious to know what the difference between reality and computer is..

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I only get about 17 with my 2013 CTD 2500. I still have emissions crap on it though. I'm sitting at 22K miles. So who knows, maybe it'll get better as time goes on. Loads of power, ride is pretty nice as well.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My avg is 12.38 on my 2011 fully deleted ram over the last 12 months/10,975 miles... y'all are gettin some amazing mileage!

I'm hoping for some property in a non emission county in the not too distant future so I can delete.

Have you manually checked the mileage also? I'd be curious to know what the difference between reality and computer is..

Not yet, but I haven't filled it up since returning when I do i'll calculate manually

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
More info...

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/i...hrysler-Accused-of-VWStyle-Emissions-Cheating

Fiat Chrysler is the latest in a line of automakers that Hagens Berman has hit with emissions-related lawsuits in the last year, including Mercedes-Benz and General Motors Co., although this is the first to involve Bosch. In November, the firm filed a similar suit against Fiat Chrysler and engine manufacturer Cummins Inc. in federal court in Detroit, alleging that a component in older Dodge RAMs designed to trap nitrogen oxides emissions fails to do so effectively.
Berman—who also serves on the plaintiffs' steering committee in the Volkswagen emissions-cheating case—said he began testing domestic vehicles after wondering "if both VW and Mercedes are cheating, how can U.S. car makers not be?"

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
UPDATE:

Fiat Chrysler cheated on diesel emissions, EPA says​ - Jan. 12, 2017

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/12/news/companies/epa-emissions-cheating-fiat-chrysler/index.html

Trying to figure out how this is any different than someone running a "insert tuner here" like bully dog? I've seen little tuner honda's and subaru that blow more black smoke than my cummins. I'm sure when they are hooked up to emission equipment though, they are running a different tune.

I know its different because this is coming from the factory, but if you are going to go after the manufactures for this, you best well make all the aftermarket tuners illegal as well.