EJS Police Force

DToy

ksvb said:
yep it is too bad isnt it and I bet you havent ever done anything wrong in your life huh mister perfect. it slipped my mind, sorry for being human I drive it maybe once a year on the roads its a trailer queen

I'm not saying that I'm perfect, but I hate having to pay for other people's "Slips of the mind". Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless your rig is licensed as an OHV insurance is still required, whether your rig is on pavement or on a dirt road. This is just one more thing for the greenies to hold against us wheelers. If you don't feel like obeying the law, fine, but I would suggest not bragging about it on a public forum. Wheelers aren't the only ones that read this bulletin board.

Houndoc

While not claiming to be perfect, I have noticed a trend among some (far from all as many previous threads have shown) to 1) drive illegally modified rigs 2) ignore other laws such as registration (street or OHV) and insurance 3) complain when ticketed for any of the above.

Not wanting to sound self-righteous, but the entire sport will have better public support when we play by the rules. When it comes to land use, PR is the name of the game.

If we come across as irresponsible or not "mainstream", we loose. Unfortunately, the acts of a few, be it cases noted above or those who run illegal trails, it hurts everyone.

I am not wanting to point fingers or offend anyone- not the point at all- just remind all of the importance of public opinion.

V-DAWG

someday
Insurance

Even if your rig is only used on the trails and is registered as an OHV it needs insurance. I have insurance on my OHV Dirt Bike. It costs me like a whopping $34 a year.

I don't know if the fines are different in Grand County, but in SL County I believe it is over $400 for no insurance, and it is still a violation even if you have insurance but you don't have proof. Purchasing insurance after you sign the ticket wouldn't do jack for most judges, except maybe a slightly reduced fine.

great scott

I had a freind pulled over for a broken tail light. He had just rolled going up High Dive, so I was following him to cover for his broken light, but the cop cut me off to get to him. At first we thought the cop was really harsh, but in the end he let him off with just a verbal warrning. I think they did just fine.

ksvb

insurance

actually you dont have to insure an ohv. only if you carry a loan on the vehicle, than the bank makes you pay for insurance. im not possitive you dont have to have it but when I ride my 3-wheeler and they come to camp and check registrations they dont say anything about insurance but if there is a law about having to insure my ohv than no problem cuz im insured but with that said, sorry for my behavior. We do need to insure our vehicles when driving on the roadways but off road is questionable. and the cop told me I should call and get it because she knew that was better than not having it.

leorn

reset
back to the original topic, i drove around without fenders all week. seems like they were more interested in pulling you over if you were cruisin main. but even the local officails i know believe it is important for their economy

R

rockdog

Coming off the hill from dump bump. They were directing traffic. HP on motorcycles were going up the line looking back at every vehicals plates and pulling over every one that was'nt registered for the street. Watched him even look at my trailer tags. :eek:

81Ramchargerman

popo said:
I am so sorry to the ones I wrote tickets to. Most were fixit tickets.
The PD pulled in cops from all over. The pay was great and the weather sucked. I say alot of RME mebers down there. I tried to look the other way when you all rolled through.

To make you fell better some chump badge happy pig gave me a ticket for doing 85 in a 75. :eek: :mad2:

If you got asked are you on RME that was me. :p You also got no ticket. :greg:

That is soooo bad a$$!!!

V-DAWG

someday
ksvb said:
actually you dont have to insure an ohv. only if you carry a loan on the vehicle, than the bank makes you pay for insurance. im not possitive you dont have to have it but when I ride my 3-wheeler and they come to camp and check registrations they dont say anything about insurance but if there is a law about having to insure my ohv than no problem cuz im insured but with that said, sorry for my behavior. We do need to insure our vehicles when driving on the roadways but off road is questionable. and the cop told me I should call and get it because she knew that was better than not having it.

My dirt bike is paid off, and I still have to have insurance because it is the law.

Caleb

V-DAWG said:
My dirt bike is paid off, and I still have to have insurance because it is the law.

no, its not the law to have ins on an ohv...is it in your best interest? heck yeah it is...if you hurt someone with your ohv then who's paying the bills if you dont have ins??? The only time you would be required to have ins is (as stated earlier) if you have a loan on it and the carrier requires it (they usually do to protect their investment).

Sounds like the police were out in force, and if you were following the laws then you didn't have any issues :cool: thats what I like to hear.

BTW, if you get a ticket for no proof of ins. but you really do have ins. then 99% of the time you just need to take in your policy info showing you were covered for the time frame of the ticket and they will get rid of the citation. If you have to pay it, its generally $300+.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
popo said:
I am so sorry to the ones I wrote tickets to. Most were fixit tickets.
The PD pulled in cops from all over. The pay was great and the weather sucked. I say alot of RME mebers down there. I tried to look the other way when you all rolled through.

To make you fell better some chump badge happy pig gave me a ticket for doing 85 in a 75. :eek: :mad2:

If you got asked are you on RME that was me. :p You also got no ticket. :greg:

So was that you that pulled me over for no registration or insurance? I'm glad you let me get off when I answered yes.

Meat_

Banned
Supergper said:
no, its not the law to have ins on an ohv...is it in your best interest? heck yeah it is...if you hurt someone with your ohv then who's paying the bills if you dont have ins??? The only time you would be required to have ins is (as stated earlier) if you have a loan on it and the carrier requires it (they usually do to protect their investment).

Yup

fordy4

Ok, so my rig is about 3 years overdue for inspection/registration. I am fairly sure it won't ever pass safety inspection again. It is insured, but I am not sure if they would cover me if I was not street legal.
I really do want to follow the law whenever possible. Am I better off regeistering it as an OHV, insuring it as an OHV and continue to drive it on the road as little as humanly possible? :confused:
What is the ticket $ for being an OHV on the road? As opposed to being overdue on inspection/registration?

Last edited:

Caleb

overdue inspection/registration can and will get your rig impounded especially more than a couple months. Ins. on an OHV is usually cheaper. I would say get a trailer and be a responsible wheeler, don't drive your OHV on the road at all...;) it shouldn't be a compromise as to which will cost you less.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Supergper said:
overdue inspection/registration can and will get your rig impounded especially more than a couple months. Ins. on an OHV is usually cheaper. I would say get a trailer and be a responsible wheeler, don't drive your OHV on the road at all...;) it shouldn't be a compromise as to which will cost you less.

X2

fordy4

Supergper said:

I have 2 trailers and a brand new truck to haul them with, however, I am sure we have all done trails that don't return to your tow rig without driving on some pavement. I will take your advice on the OHV.
Thank you.

Last edited:

T3n5oR

i never got pulled over, though I know I easily could have been. My 2 buddies each got pulled over once, and told to get it on a trailer, and they let them go, but we were going back to the trailer at the time. I was told most were random DUI checks. or fixit. all in all, I think they did well, it was a seemingly more "peaceful" EJS 'cept for the weather.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
My 2 cents.

I hate pigs with no backbone. I didnt get pulled over or bothered at all, but we saw a lot of rigs getting pulled over coming off the trails. IMO that is entrapment. PIGS are not allowed to hang out at the bar, and pull everyone over assuming their driving drunk, and this is no different.

Yes there were plenty of people drinking, and being stupid, but while I saw people acting like morons on 1 side, I see some kid get a ticket for mud flaps on the other.
Oh and letting people slide because they are with one org over another is called favoritism, and according to a good friend who worked vice, and is now on canyon patrol for our lovely SLC PD that is a punishable offense if you are caught. He has been on the force many many years, and he was written up for letting someone go just because he liked his Harley. (He admits it was a rookie mistake).

What I dont understand about pigs, is if you are going to waste a tax payers time by pulling them over, make sure they 1) Broke the law 2) You ARE going to do your job (Hint: Rule #1 "Uphold the law, POST training handbook 101),
and 3) Dont admire, and get a boner over someone elses work. Coach them on the offense, give them a fix it ticket, or whatever, then go out and look for criminals.
Like hanging out at Maverik and busting people for buying "Blow" in the bathroom. Now that would be neat. As a taxpayer it would be great to here that a cop actually put a criminal away instead of harassing someone about their god damn mud flaps on the biggest Moab "OFF ROAD" event of the year.
This isnt a targed response at any one officer, but as a whole.

(Off soap box)

Last edited: