EJS07 - Monday April 2nd, Pritchett Canyon

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I wanted to bring back this old thread to ask a question about running Pritchett.
I noticed the awesome pic of herzog's boy sleeping in the rig and it got me to thinking. I will be running Pritchett for the first time at EJS this year and the wife and my two year old will be with me in the rig. We don't like for the boy to be in the rig when there is a decent chance of rolling or anything that could cause him to jerk his head really hard.
So my question is can the more difficult obsticalls (RK, RP...) be walked realtivly easaly?

RK and Rp can be walked around (as by foot) fairly easily. Although the first hard obstacle on Prichett (can't remember its name) that I have seen a few rollovers on is fairly difficult to walk up by foot.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
RK and Rp can be walked around (as by foot) fairly easily. Although the first hard obstacle on Prichett (can't remember its name) that I have seen a few rollovers on is fairly difficult to walk up by foot.

That's the loose hill named "Chewy". It's gotten ROUGH over the past couple of years.

Observation: (strange that was a "non-obstacle" until they "fixed" the entry)

I wanted to bring back this old thread to ask a question about running Pritchett.
I noticed the awesome pic of herzog's boy sleeping in the rig and it got me to thinking. I will be running Pritchett for the first time at EJS this year and the wife and my two year old will be with me in the rig. We don't like for the boy to be in the rig when there is a decent chance of rolling or anything that could cause him to jerk his head really hard.
So my question is can the more difficult obsticall's (RK, RP...) be walked (on foot) relatively easily?

Rocker Knocker is very easy to get around on foot with kiddos in tow. There's also a way to get up Rock Pile as well, although for the life of me, I'm drawing a blank right now on where we normally walk up. I just know that our kids have never ridden either of those obstacles and if I'm not driving, I walk them as well. Your wife and baby will do just fine! :)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If there is a chance of rolling, I like to have somebody walk him. If it's a chance of just laying it on the side not very hard, he can ride. :) That's usually my general rule.

Now that he's a little older, he has ridden up rockpile and rocker knocker with me a couple times. He loves it. You just have to make your best judgment and keep the kids safe as possible. That's the most important part.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That's the loose hill named "Chewy". It's gotten ROUGH over the past couple of years.

Aint that the truth. Ever since the first ledge in the canyon got paved, chewy became the new gate keeper. Now a lot of people turn around right there.

Chewy intimidates the living daylights out of me. It's definitely an ugly obstacle. :ugh:

If there is a chance of rolling, I like to have somebody walk him. If it's a chance of just laying it on the side not very hard, he can ride. :) That's usually my general rule.

Now that he's a little older, he has ridden up rockpile and rocker knocker with me a couple times. He loves it. You just have to make your best judgment and keep the kids safe as possible. That's the most important part.
X2 on that. Our kids have been in multiple rolls onto the side, but if there is ever even the thought of a hard roll, they are out. Better to be safe than sorry. :) Plus, our theory has been that we don't ever want them to be scared of rock crawling. The only down side to that plan is they now don't have any fear, they'll ride anything. Especially our 10 year old, he now askes if there's a chance of rolling or carnage and then hops right on in!

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
Collin loves the Jeep, he rides around with his hands in the air like it's a roller coaster or something.
When he is on board his safety is concern number one... dad can't take the same risk! A minor flop or laying over on a rock is no big deal but any chance of anything harder and he is out. He can roll it himself when he gets older!:p

jpest

Anti-Social Networking
Oh he meant walk.:rofl: :rofl: Well if I feel uncomfortable or in any way unsure on an obstacle I will have my girls get out and play on the rocks. Thats what they love to do anyway.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Chewy intimidates the living daylights out of me. It's definitely an ugly obstacle. :ugh:...

I don't think it's that bad if you take the right line. I've been up & down it a handful of times since it got real bad and the last time, I watched many people go up it before I did. I choose what I thought was the least scary line. I throttled my way up, but did leave the front axle opened to provide an anchor and keep the front-end from sliding around.

[YOUTUBE]_SULSMZxulc[/YOUTUBE]

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
I agree, I lined up on chewy last fall and thought I would just burn up it. not so much. got a little sideways and ended up winching. the rest of the trail seemed easier after that. Its a good filter

Bart

I don't think it's that bad if you take the right line. I've been up & down it a handful of times since it got real bad and the last time, I watched many people go up it before I did. I choose what I thought was the least scary line. I throttled my way up, but did leave the front axle opened to provide an anchor and keep the front-end from sliding around.

I still don't understand the comment at the end of that. :confused:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
you know, so it wouldn't spin him downhill.. :D

at least, that's what I'm imagining he means.

The real video revolution will happen when it can capture how sketchy things are in real life. That doesn't look that bad on video.... but neither do the hot tubs, or Lion's Back, etc etc LOL

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I still don't understand the comment at the end of that. :confused:

I may be off in my thinking, but after watching several rigs go up Chewy, most people got pulled to the right as they worked their way up. I recall that the hill leans slightly to the right, which causes that pull. The loose sand & dirt on the ledges helps this happen.

I had intended to use lots of throttle and know that 4 spinning tires with a hill that slants will result in a rig sliding the direction of the slant. I wanted to go straight and not slide, so rather than engage the ARB, I left the front diff opened. One tire can spin and the tire that isn't spinning creates an anchor, keeping the rig on it's intended path. With an opened front diff and plenty of throttle I made the climb and stayed on my line. ¿Comprende?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Greg I agree with how you described it. It's easy to get forced to the right side and on the edge of the small cliff there. I figured with my 114" wheelbase i'd have a slightly better chance at navigating it than others i was with.. Wrong.. I had my front/rear locked up, and was quickly forced to the right side.. I ended up in a position to where I couldn't back up(rear quarter panel was already resting on a rock), and I couldn't go forward due to the lines and angles of that hill felt like I was being forced off the edge.. I had to take the winch cable to get up.

... Had to clean my seat really well after that as well

.. Found a pic of this exact moment from an old trip report.. Looking at the pic i doubt i'd have gone over to the right far enough to roll off the cliff.. But it sure felt like it in the drivers seat

attachment.php

Last edited: