Electric Yard Tools... Ryobi?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
We've got a deebo too. He's a soldier until he wakes my dog up in the middle of the night.

I have the ryobi string trimmer and blower combo. I didn't have many for anything better, and my yard is so small they do the job well enough. I've since started accumulating dewalt stuff, so at some point I'll replace them with dewalt.

Also, the best camp tool I've ever bought is the 20v dewalt chainsaw. So sweet for cutting down firewood. It doesn't feel as manly as the gas powered saws, so I've gotten used to the awkwardness of leaving my shirt on when using it.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
On your gas machines it's pretty cake and crazy cheap to throw a piston ($14) and carb replacement kit ($14) in it and get another 10 years.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
On your gas machines it's pretty cake and crazy cheap to throw a piston ($14) and carb replacement kit ($14) in it and get another 10 years.

Meh.... I'm way to happy with the electric DeWalt.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've had Ryobi in the garage for a long time. I'm moving away from them, the new batteries just don't hang. I'm buying Dewalt stuff in the garage but my mower is an EGO and it's legit. The boy can get two or three decently sized yards in before needing to switch batteries. It's quiet, it's light, it's as green as the power grid is anyway, and I never ever have to worry about stale gas or screwing with the carb in the spring again. I love it.

Pike2350

I'm likely going to go with a battery powered mower on my next one. I already have Rigid tools, but don't see they have a mower...darn, I guess it's a new excuse to buy another brand to go along with my Rigid.;)

It's funny though, I have abused the crap out of my mower and my weed trimmer. My last weed trimmer (Ryobi) with the interchangeable attachments, lasted close to 10 years with NOTHING being done to it. No winterization, no fuel additive, nothing more then mixing gas/oil and filling it up. The engine still ran, but the shaft was worn out and the plastic engine cover was falling off due to multiple cracks and breaks. I replaced it with a Toro motor that could use the same attachments...3 years in with the same maintenance, and it still goes strong. I just started it on Sunday for the first time this year. Threw gas/oil mix that has been sitting in the can since last fall....following the normal start up routine of full choke, half choke, no choke it started in 4 pulls.

My mower is a Craftsman with a Honda engine and I treat it the same way. I've only EVER replaced the spark plug once. No gas additive, etc. I believe I'm somewhere between year 12-15 on it. The carb is getting pretty bad. I do have to keep putting it on full choke for the first 15 mins or so (this means a shoelace...pink even from my wife, is tied to the handle and the choke lever so I can pull it back to full choke while still mowing :rofl:

I think I may put up with them both this year and look next year. I just can't seem to kill them.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Thanks for all the insight guys! I haven't looked at electric yard tools at all, so this is new to me. I had seen how much presence Ryobi has at Home Depot, but didn't realize other well known brands were also making similar tools.

I do have a bunch of DeWalt 20V tools in the shop (grinder, drill, small impact) and also didn't realize that the batteries and chargers will interchange with the yard tools. That fact made it easy to choose a DeWalt weed trimmer with the option to add attachments. It's charging now, need to see if my pole saw will work on the DeWalt.

View attachment 136771

I'll probably add a electric DeWalt leaf blower to my collection down the road, possibly more. I have a gas Husqvarna chain saw.... it's been great, so it'll stick around for awhile.;)

Can I get an update on this? I am turning over yard work to my 10 yr old, and the long heavy gas trimmer was a bit much for him. I have all dewalt tools, so getting the trimmer makes sense.. but reviews do not seem to be as positive as other brands,

EDIT: Amazon reviews for the dewalt were lower.. but PF review places it at #1.

Last edited:

rholbrook

Let me chime in here. I have had a Toro Personal Pace lawnmower for 20 years. It has always started 1st or 2nd pull as long as I hit the primer button 5 or 6 times. Last spring it seized up on me. It was my fault because I hadn't done my every 5 year oil change. After it cooled off, I drained little if any oil out of it, put fresh oil in it and it fired right up. My only complaint was the grass chute was smaller and on thick grass sections, it could get clogged. I never mulched it.

This spring I went looking for a new mower, fully aware of the electric mowers but content with getting another Personal Pace Toro. It has been a fantastic solution to one of my very least favorite activities. The new Toros have the big grass ejection chutes in the rear of the mower which I had to have. Hondas have had that forever but not the Toros. I went to my local Ace where I bought my last one and they literally only had some cheap brand of gas mower, a couple of Hondas and a bunch of electric mowers. I then headed to Home Depot and looked at their mowers. They had one Toro Personal Pace that I was going to buy but it was up on the top shelf and they had their own Ryobi brand on the floor so I started looking at them. I pride myself on not getting SOLD by anyone but that guy sold me on the top of the line Ryobi. He told me that if I took it home and didn't like it I could bring it back. I took it home, mowed my lawn and most of my neighbors lawn with it. Each battery lasts pretty much 40 min. It takes my 45 min to mow my lawn. The first three mows I was convinced that I was taking it back. I mowed for the 5th time last night and I am thinking I am keeping it. There is a key I simply pull out and point the arrow on that key to the second battery so it makes it pretty slick. It cuts well, is lite and I am starting to like it. If anyone wants to come try it out for 45 min, I usually cut my lawn towards the end of the week so the grass can go out Monday morning. :D

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have had a Toro Personal Pace lawnmower for 20 years.

I have been mowing my lawn since I was about 8 yrs old. The first mower was so old, it had a metal switch on the engine that flipped down to ground the spark plug to shut it off. As a kid it scared me to death and I'd use a jack handle to flip it so my hands weren't on the engine. We used that one for years. Even mowed neighbors with it for some cash. Around age 12 Dad ponied up and bought a new one that was self propelled. We felt like kings. Literally wore the tires out on that one. I don't remember what we got after that, but I believe it is being used by my brother still.

A used couple year old Toro personal pace on KSL right now is $100-150 all day long. And will last throughout the years I require my son to be doing the yard I am sure.

A new battery powered unit is $400 give or take, and I am very curious to see if they even get 5 years out of them. It's hard to swallow that for me.
I'll be very interested in your long term review.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
A new battery powered unit is $400 give or take, and I am very curious to see if they even get 5 years out of them. It's hard to swallow that for me.
I'll be very interested in your long term review.
FWIW I’ve had my EGO for 3 years, one battery still does my whole yard (about 35min) and if it needs a second pass from being stupid long I’ve never had to charge it before. Same status 3 years later

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Can I get an update on this? I am turning over yard work to my 10 yr old, and the long heavy gas trimmer was a bit much for him. I have all dewalt tools, so getting the trimmer makes sense.. but reviews do not seem to be as positive as other brands,

Still loving both the trimmer and blower, in the warmer months both are being used often. No issues, good battery life, etc. I bought the equipment with batteries and chargers, so I always have a charged battery for each one.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

My opinion (which is the only opinion that matters) is why buy more batteries? I've been "stuck" in the Craftsman ecosystem for years. Are they the best tools? No. Are they the worst tools? Hardly. So when I bought a trimmer and blower this spring, I bought Craftsman because I already had a couple 4Ah and 2Ah batteries. Does everything I need. So I'd say just go with Dewalt because you're already in that ecosystem and batteries are the most expensive part.

That said, I did spring for an EGO mower. It's very choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My opinion (which is the only opinion that matters) is why buy more batteries? I've been "stuck" in the Craftsman ecosystem for years. Are they the best tools? No. Are they the worst tools? Hardly. So when I bought a trimmer and blower this spring, I bought Craftsman because I already had a couple 4Ah and 2Ah batteries. Does everything I need. So I'd say just go with Dewalt because you're already in that ecosystem and batteries are the most expensive part.

That said, I did spring for an EGO mower. It's very choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

I thought the same. Already in a Dewalt world. And now from the PF reviews, and the go ahead from Greg.... I'll pick up the Dewalt next time I am at the HomeDepot.

Picked up a used Toro gasser this evening for the mower.

I've got to have the only boy in the world who wanted a push mower over the great zero turn rider we have 🤷‍♂️

Tonkaman

I thought the same. Already in a Dewalt world. And now from the PF reviews, and the go ahead from Greg.... I'll pick up the Dewalt next time I am at the HomeDepot.

Picked up a used Toro gasser this evening for the mower.

I've got to have the only boy in the world who wanted a push mower over the great zero turn rider we have 🤷‍♂️
Call CFC fasteners for a price on the dewalt tools. My work buys everything through them and it saved us quite a bit when buying bare tools with no batteries/ charger