Ever wonder?

Do you guys ever wonder about some peoples basic mechanical intelligence or ever just common sense in general?

I recently bought a 1980 Gmc K1500 from a guy who claimed to be a good mechanic... He even claimed all the work done on the truck himself.

First thing I noticed is that I had to smash the clutch pedal into the floor before it would even engage. So I figure, mechanical clutch is out of adjustment, no big. He claims its just the clutch going out. So I start tearing into the truck. Come to find out the rubber is completely gone out of both motor mounts! Replaced those... Clutch fixed! Also while driving the truck I realize it has NO suspension... So I tear into that. Well first off "he" had installed a 6" lift. Well imediately when I unbolt the STOCK shocks the truck actually lifted about 2". After this I decide to give the whole truck a good run through. I continued to find the bushings gone in all the springs, nuts on u-bolts welded on at a 1/4 turn, mounting plate for u-bolts sideways and folded over the springs, bed held on with three bolts, cab bushings gone, and I've yet to get through the whole truck! Oh and on top of that I realized it has round headlights installed...

Sometimes I do wonder about some peoples mechanical sense!!!

mowlasley

Sometimes I wonder about people who buy a 28 year old pickup without even climbing underneath to have a look at the "aftermarket" suspension.

I was helping a guy out that was in a tight situation... I never said I didn't expect problems with the truck. I found it funny that the guy would brag about all the work he had done on the truck and then come to find these things... I didn't bother to look under the truck because frankly I didn't care... For 300 bucks it started and drove... I wanted a project I could tear apart and build up and he needed the money...

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
I wonder all the time. Two nights ago I gave a ride to town, a guy and a couple apparently from SLC. After he turned his rig on its top they flagged me down in my 2wd truck that I've had less than a month, he did not have a chain or tow strap or gas cap, which I learn after driving about a mile on a side road. A rag is keeping the gas from just pouring out, his excuse was that his rig had just been broken into and that stuff was stolen. Now who doesn't have either a chain or tow strap in their rig, most of the tourists apparently. As far as I'm concerned he never had any of that stuff, I was expected to have all of it as a local even though I never leave a decent road in that truck. Rednecks all the way, all 3 of them.

Your rig should be expected to have issues at that age. My truck is a 75 GMC and the wiring in it is downright scary, but the price was right. I'm slowly fixing the wiring issues, but it takes some time and I need it to drive. Soon it will be one of 3 driveable vehicles I own. I never expected it would be the only one I could drive at all. Obviously the previous owner of your truck isn't a fraction of the mechanic he thinks he is. Fix what you can, when you can.

JParriott

THREESIX

Seriously, a mechanics rig is never one to buy. Generally speaking, they work on other peoples junk all day. NOT their own. When he said "I did all the work", evidently there was no time period applied. Or maybe he was warning you in his own way. Either way, if the truck is that old, check the 20 something year relationship he may have had with it. For example take my truck. Built in high school and modified out of need.(Generally with duct tape) Its a real shitbag. I did do all the work. When it was a Bronco, I made it a fullsize. When it was a full size, I made it a Ranger. While it was a Ranger.. well I didn't ever treat it nice and the oil hasn't been changed since 1999. I partied that year.
I still drive it and people have made me offers on it. Now if I were to sell it, it wouldn't exactly go as a clean one owner. However, if someone were to buy it and then go on a public forum and bad mouth it I would be the one laughing.
I did all the work, and they bought it. See where this is going.. But hey, you're right. There are a whole bunch of of people out there that do things a little less than average. Those people always have a great excuse. Generally they call themselves mechanics.
You should be glad that you have abilities that this poor guy obviously doesn't.

P.S. How big is his wife? Could she maybe have assisted in the shock application?
Oh, and be even more happy that he threw in a free lift!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Seriously, a mechanics rig is never one to buy. Generally speaking, they work on other peoples junk all day. NOT their own. When he said "I did all the work", evidently there was no time period applied. Or maybe he was warning you in his own way. Either way, if the truck is that old, check the 20 something year relationship he may have had with it. For example take my truck. Built in high school and modified out of need.(Generally with duct tape) Its a real shitbag. I did do all the work. When it was a Bronco, I made it a fullsize. When it was a full size, I made it a Ranger. While it was a Ranger.. well I didn't ever treat it nice and the oil hasn't been changed since 1999. I partied that year.
I still drive it and people have made me offers on it. Now if I were to sell it, it wouldn't exactly go as a clean one owner. However, if someone were to buy it and then go on a public forum and bad mouth it I would be the one laughing.
I did all the work, and they bought it. See where this is going.. But hey, you're right. There are a whole bunch of of people out there that do things a little less than average. Those people always have a great excuse. Generally they call themselves mechanics.
You should be glad that you have abilities that this poor guy obviously doesn't.

P.S. How big is his wife? Could she maybe have assisted in the shock application?

:rofl: Thanks for the laugh. :D

Updates...

So, I haven't been to the site in quite a while. I honestly didn't expect this many people to even read this posting! So I guess... Thanks for all your interest!!!:rofl:

Anyway... I started really tearing into this truck. I had asked some of you guys about axles and a few other things... Well I am ending up pulling a set of 3/4 tons out of one of my other truck to replace the current ones. I'm also planning on using the front rear hanger to do a shackle flip and and using the rear springs for a 52" swap eventually. (I don't think I ever mention in my original post that I have 3 other donor parts trucks for this project. Just for those of you who questioned my choice to buy a 25+ year old project of someone elses!)

To the pics...

l_63f8418844ecb6c3efb28b7d6f598409.jpg

DSCN0376.jpg

DSCN0377.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again

this is utah and i was waiting for the duct tape to come out LOL my buddy from NC had his headlight duct taped in for close to two years only because he didnt have the right screws to put back in when he spray painted the grill:rofl:

Well I finally got a chance to get the chevy out for a little test run... It actually did pretty well for what we've done to it so far... That was until we broke the front driveline at the transfercase...

KEVSTRUCK001.jpg

KEVSTRUCK002.jpg

KEVSTRUCK003.jpg

KEVSTRUCK004.jpg

Then we went to the sand... We should have known better with only 2wd and no locker... But now we know what a 35" looks like under sand...

KEVSTRUCK005.jpg