extending the wheelbase

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
I need some ideas on how to extend the wheelbase on my CJ-5.
Pretty much willing to do anything. I plan on cutting the fenders all the way back and around to the tailgate. I need some ideas on how to do it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
GOOD FOR YOU! That would be such a cool mod on your CJ5! If I was to do it, I would put the rear axle just under the end of the frame, run coil springs (have to do some real research to see what would work), and a 4 link. Its alot of fabbing, but is possiable. You would have to move the gas tank into the tub, so I would suggest a Fuel Cell for saftey sake. I had a pic of a '5 similar to this, hopefully I can find it! I'll be looking for it! Your wheelbase would ROCK!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Found the pic! If this doesn't make you DROOL then theres something WRONG with you!

2001MoabEJS_UpperHellderado_Unknown2.jpg

DO IT!!!!

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
Sweet looking,
hey greg my friend gave me the axles for free. He said that he is going to bring them by tonight to give them to me. I might bring them over to let you see them.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My friend and I did his 5 in my garage this summer.
wheelbase is 103". We cut about 16 inches off of the back of the frame and then sleeved over it with longer metal. It is leaf sprung over.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
throw some stats down man... I would say coils or the f350 1/4 eliptic setup. Hell I think coil is less fab but hey they both can rock. Look into different longer springs for an easy answer. I run long rear springs and moved the perches back. then the front is wagoneer and then the center pin moves it forward and the front hanger moves it forward too. I got about 6inches stretch total. What do you think you want to do? I got a decent list of spring mesurements to help.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Nice fab work Jeremy! I love the approach and departure angles. However, that thing needs a little paint (something--even camo--not that there's anything wrong with camo or anything), though....

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The hardest part about it was figuring out the steering box. I'm doing the front on mine right now, and I'll try to get some pics up.
Call me if you want to come see the crap box in person. 554-0377

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by mbryson
Nice fab work Jeremy! I love the approach and departure angles. However, that thing needs a little paint (something--even camo--not that there's anything wrong with camo or anything)
Yeah I tried to talk him into paint, but he said it was too beautiful for that frilly stuff. He says he wants some of those dingle ball curtains to hang from the front hoop, like you might see on a 81 monte carlo.