Feb 2/2-2/5 Moab/Swell/9Mile Trip

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I am planning on heading somewhere South leaving Thursday evening. 2/2, (mabey Friday morning, 2/3) ands coming home Sunday the 5th. The U4WDA is holding their Winter Convention in Moab with the Moab Freinds for 4-Wheeling on Saturday 2/4. They are having a breakfast in town, 4 trails (Fins, 7Mile, Strike, BFE, Greenday, others...), followed by a BBQ at Area BFE.

The plan is now to leave Thursday evening/Friday morning and head directly to the Swell for the day... Make it to Moab by late Friday night, camp. Wake up Sat. morning and hit Sevenmile. Head to Price Saturday evening, either camp or grab a cheap motel... Check out Nine-mile Sunday morning and head home by mid-afternoon. I would like to be back in SLC by ~ 5pm, thus leaving price by 3ish.

Thoughts?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
great scott said:
Man do I wish I could go. I know some of the CCKC are trying to make it down to U4's run, and now that your heading through the swell, you've lined out my idea of a good weekend.

Hey Scott, I am a complete rookie to the Swell, but I want to see enough of it to force me to come back ;)

So... if you had a night (Thurday night-Friday evening) to explore the swell, where would you go. Ideally we would like to connect from Price to I70 traveling through Castledale & the Swell rather than 191 to Moab. That way we can go straight from I70 to Moab...

Coming home via 191, I want to head up and take the auto tour of Nine-Mile, mabey do a bit of hiking Sunday morning, and then home to SLC. Thoughts?

great scott

Well it's all spread out over a lot of ground, so you kinda need to pick an area and then study up a bit. Price to I70 putts you on SR10 and just a jump away from the Devils Race track, Fix it Pass, Slipper Arch, ZCMI mine and all that stuff. You could use the DRT as a connection route from SR10 to I70, it cuts off some miles but it's much slower and more scenic. I would rate the DRT around a 3.5. Other possible sites to see in other areas might be; the Wedge (Little Grand Canyon) over look, Hike Little Wild Horse ( good slot Canyon), several good pec and pictographs, Dinosaur foot prints, Cleveland Loyd Dino quarry, government caves rumored to have been testing for the bomb, Swayze's leap and homestead, Matt Warner's signature, Goblin Valley, and the list goes on. Not all of the above are inside the Swell but close just outside. Was that any help or just more confusing.

Clutch

Kurt, there is a fun short run into Eagle Canyon from exit 114 (copperglode exit) or from Swazey's Cabin. Did that on friday eve after T-day. Are you Camping? The Eva Cordova road is much harder and longer, but I don't have or know the way there.
The Government holes are fun to see. I've repelled in them.
The Wedge overlook is worth the trip over for a scenic value.
Most of this is above and or near I-70
Call me if you want more info. 244-8197
Jeff

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great info guys!

Many of those places are on my "hitlist"... I know I am doing a dis-service by taking such a short trip, but my goal is to see plenty of places, to come back and see... ;)

I know NOTHING about the Swell (proper) nor much of the surrounding area... All the info I can get the better. :D

Jeff, I will be giving you a call!

Dixon

Swell, nine mile

Sounds like a fun trip. I've been through that area many times. First thing I would do is go to the Price Museum and pick up a few maps of the erea. The swell has roads going every were and going in every direction so you'll need a good map. There are also many ways into the swell depending on what you want to see. I had a neighbor (Royal Swasey) who as a little boy lived in Swasey's cabin with his family and Butch Cassidy and his gang would stop and his mom would feed them. He said his dad and Butch would go out side and practice shooting there guns. He said Butch even gave his dad a rifle. Then the next day the sheriff would show up and the family would take care of them. Of course butch had left already and there family had not seen them.There are lots of Indian writings all over that area but you need to know were they are to find them. Nine mile canyon is the same way, you can drive all the way through it and never see a thing if you don't know were to look. So the best info can be found at the price Museum. If you take the first exit in to Price and go to 1st east until you see the Dinosaur in the middle of the block and its striaght south on that same block.

great scott

Here is yet another route you could run. Start by heading to the Wedge over look ( very nice view ), then head over to the dead end of the MT Dew trail or even try out the Dew. From here at the base of the mountain you can find the Centennial Indian writings along with some scattered drawings and artifacts. Just down the road you will find the old rail road bed and the names of the oriental workers painted in grease. Next drop down on the biggest of the gov caves. Back track some and head into Buck Horn Draw, were just off the main road you will find: small gov cave, Dino tracks, Matt Warner's sig, Great Indian writings, Swinging Bridge ( not much), and tons of cool canyons to hike. Then your on I 70. Its all a very easy trip that can be done in good weather by a car. It's also very scenic, but you have to know were to find it all.

marc olivares

Limey Lover
wow Kurt, sounds like a very buzy trip.
we do a bunch of canyoneering in the swell, don't underestimate it's size.
the swell is huge, broken in to 4 quads, my favorite being the south east quad. (the canyon area just west of goblin valley) lost of great slot canyons :D

have fun

e28bimmer

If your short on time, I would NOT recommend running 9 mile, while the road is nice, you will eat up a ton of time stopping at glyphs and other peculiarities, there is also an old BC hide out there that is really neat to check out but about a 1.5 mile hike each way to get to it. There is an old Spanish "fort" or stronghold in the canyon too, oh and last but not least, dont forget the mummy caves on the east end. 11 mummies were found in this cave in the 70's(?) the owner of the land blasted the front of the cave, but the area around it is AWESOME, there are old stone footprints, writings and such, also a great campspot near it. Oh and there is access to the cave available too...takes a bit of looking to find it though.. :) We are planning on a Nine mile excursion this year to show some of these "hidden" treasures before the area gets an NP designation.
Eagle canyon is really a cool drive, nice road, writings to see and some more recent history along the way too.
Sounds like there are a ton of options.. I would suggest finalizing what your course will be... then ask around and find out what there is to see on your route.
Have you considered heading up Sego Canyon on your way out of Moab? There is a lot to see up the canyon and then the road winds up onto some really neat trails and you can even connect up with the far east end of Nine Mile from there. It does get a bit rough and high so be wary of snow.

Hope that is helpful, sounds like there are a ton of people here with alot of knowledge to share!!!!

great scott

e28bimmer said:
If your short on time, I would NOT recommend running 9 mile, while the road is nice, you will eat up a ton of time stopping at glyphs and other peculiarities, there is also an old BC hide out there that is really neat to check out but about a 1.5 mile hike each way to get to it. There is an old Spanish "fort" or stronghold in the canyon too, oh and last but not least, dont forget the mummy caves on the east end. 11 mummies were found in this cave in the 70's(?) the owner of the land blasted the front of the cave, but the area around it is AWESOME, there are old stone footprints, writings and such, also a great campspot near it. Oh and there is access to the cave available too...takes a bit of looking to find it though.. :) We are planning on a Nine mile excursion this year to show some of these "hidden" treasures before the area gets an NP designation.
Eagle canyon is really a cool drive, nice road, writings to see and some more recent history along the way too.
Sounds like there are a ton of options.. I would suggest finalizing what your course will be... then ask around and find out what there is to see on your route.
Have you considered heading up Sego Canyon on your way out of Moab? There is a lot to see up the canyon and then the road winds up onto some really neat trails and you can even connect up with the far east end of Nine Mile from there. It does get a bit rough and high so be wary of snow.

Hope that is helpful, sounds like there are a ton of people here with alot of knowledge to share!!!!

OK you need to take me :D on your 9M trip, as some of that stuff I have never heard of let alone seen.

teknodestrukto

I'm in! The kids would love to see that stuff, me too...Who's up for a guided tour from one of these pros? Any experts interested in showing us around?

brikar

If you are looking for a scenic ride in the swell with just enough small challenges to keep you entertained try this loop. it is one of my favorites. also the blm has done a very nice job in mapping the area and putting up signs at all the major intersections. the first time there about 6 years ago we were completly lost. now there are well detailed maps. in fact they have the maps at their information posts (at all major entrances to the swell).
take exit 129 off of i 70 and head south under the interstate. take the first road to the left which will head you west. this road winds around and within a mile or two sends you back under the i 70...continue following the trail...when you come to the y in the road head right...this is reid neilson draw. (left takes you to the head of sinbad the end of our loop)...follow the trail and it will drop you into a beautiful red rock canyon. after a few miles you reach a intersection at the very bottom of the canyon. there are trail markings now...you will want to head left. (right takes you out to buckhorn wash...a very scenic drive and one you do need to take someday...the wedge is indeed incredible.) the trail you are now on heads in a north west direction along the cliffs..eventually you go over a small pass with a wilderness study sign posted right at the top. you drop back down again and then turn south and head up and over fix it pass... there are just enough rocks here that if you have any stock vehicles a spotter might be needed. for kicks and giggles turn around and climb up...this would give any newbies a fun and confidence building session. you are know in north coal wash...put her in 4 high and enjoy....your speed will depend on recent rainfall...it is time to experince the joy of baha...don't bypassswassey arch take a few minutes to take her in...it is huge... follow the wash for several more miles...you will see an exit out of the wash on the left side...take it and follow the trail...eventually you will reach the devilsracetrack (funnest and hardest part of the trail...we have taken stock vehicles through) and dutchman arch. at this point you have arrived at the head of sinbad...some intersting pictographs are there. if you follow the road staying in a easterly manner you will run into reid nelson draw. if you go under i 70 at this point it takes you to a well maintained road. right to swassey cabin and eagle canyon ( very scenic) and left back towards exit 129. this trip is around 30 miles exit 129 and back....we have completed the loop within five hours stopping and observing frequently...i enjoy this part of the swell because of the scenic content of the traveled trail. everyone i have ever been with along this trail has stated how much they enjoyed the trail....with moab rankings i would give the majority of the trail a 3 with a 3 1/2 over the racetrack.
it would be fun to go out with you however work calls...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hey Kurt, I think Catherine I might join you. If we go, I'd probably take Friday off... we could then either meet up with you on Thursday night or Friday morn, depending on when you arrive at the Swell.

So the first 2 nights (Fri & Sat) would be camping? I think we could handle that! We might head home on Sunday though, guess it depends on how much time Nine Mile would take.

We would probably bring the XJ, I assume you'll be in the Cruiser? Who else will be tagging along?

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The plan is to camp somewhere near the area of the Swell we want to check out.. Explore the Swell all day Friday and head to Moab Friday night for some grub, then find a place to camp (mabey a hotel???). Do the U4WDA deal on Saturday, and back up to Price to check out 9-Mile on Sunday...

I will be in my Tacoma Greg, not sure who else is for sure coming yet Greg...

brikar... Thanks for the suggestions, that sounds like a great option! :cool:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
cruiseroutfit said:
The plan is to camp somewhere near the area of the Swell we want to check out.. Explore the Swell all day Friday and head to Moab Friday night for some grub, then find a place to camp (mabey a hotel???). Do the U4WDA deal on Saturday, and back up to Price to check out 9-Mile on Sunday...

I will be in my Tacoma Greg, not sure who else is for sure coming yet Greg...

The Tacoma, eh? I've been debating my Taco or the XJ. The XJ would be easier, but with the truck, I could also bring my motorcycle which would be a blast to have there. :freak: We'll see what we end up bringing.

Have you decided when you'll arrive to the Swell?