Feb 2/2-2/5 Moab/Swell/9Mile Trip

Lewers

Kurt, something work-related has come up and I am not going to be able to make it. You guys have fun and be sure to post pics...;)

TimB

Homesick
I wanna go!:(

Here's some pics of the trip you are doing - I did most of it a couple of months ago. The furtherest north I got was the junction of north and south coal wash - planning to get further north next time.

templemountain.jpg

Temple Mountain. Very scenic area with lots of old mining to explore.

1unnamedcanyon.jpg

A small canyon next to Crack Canyon - too narrow to drive but a great hike.

2coalwasharch.jpg

An arch on South Coal wash road up on top. Sorry for the fuzz - was getting dark.

2coalwashfinger.jpg

Also on south coal wash road - I don't know the name but we called it the fickle finger of fate.

2eaglearch.jpg

Eagle arch in Eagle canyon.

2eaglei70.jpg

I70 crossing Eagle Canyon.

3dutchman.jpg

Dutchman arch.

3racetrac2.jpg

A nasty narrow tippy spot on Devils Racetrac - best use a spotter here.

Last edited:

TimB

Homesick
If I was making the route you are headed - come in from the north up near the roadside gyser (can't remember the name - there is an old gas station there) and work your way over to North Coal - take it to DRT - take DRT to I70 - drop over to Eagle canyon - follow eagle over towards Reds canyon, the bear left to come out the temple wash, preferable the north one, and hit pavement around Goblin Valley SP. You need lots of gas. ;)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
TimB said:
If I was making the route you are headed - come in from the north up near the roadside gyser (can't remember the name - there is an old gas station there) and work your way over to North Coal - take it to DRT - take DRT to I70 - drop over to Eagle canyon - follow eagle over towards Reds canyon, the bear left to come out the temple wash, preferable the north one, and hit pavement around Goblin Valley SP. You need lots of gas. ;)

Incerdible pics Tim, now I'm really stoked for this trip!!

When you say lots of gas, how much you talking about... a full tank + 5 gal, or more?

TimB

Homesick
I average 10 MPG doing this stuff and burned 12 gallons a day every day but one - burned 14 that day. Your milage may vary. ;)

I'd estimate fill up at Wellington, do the trip, fill up at Green River is gonna be pretty close to 20 gallons for me. Worst case - check the tank at I 70 and run to the nearest station if needed. It's about 31 miles to Green River from where you hit I 70 - I don't know how far west the next station is but it's a ways.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
gravesdiggerxj said:
Hey I'll try to make it. When and where are you planning on meeting. Thursday evening is good or Friday Morning.

Thursday (tomorrow) around 6:30 in Sandy (South Town Mall?)

I am going to post up a "schedule" of sorts here in a minute, nothing binding, I just want to get off the pavement for a couple days... :cool:

TimB

Homesick
I really enjoyed that area. It's the closest to solitude I've experienced off-road in a while - very remote area. Definately in my top 5 trips.

Greg

Admin
cruiseroutfit said:
Thursday (tomorrow) around 6:30 in Sandy (South Town Mall?)

I am going to post up a "schedule" of sorts here in a minute, nothing binding, I just want to get off the pavement for a couple days... :cool:

Ok, we'll meet up with you on Thursday night. When do you think you'll arrive, 8:30 / 9-ish? (That is 6:30pm, correct?)

It will take us approx. 2.5 hrs to get to the Swell, so if we leave at 6:30pm as well, we should both arrive around the same time.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Plans...

Thursday:
SLC to Huntington (Wellington for fuel?).
10 miles to Buckhorn Resevoir
7 miles to Buckhorn Wash area, setup camp in the area.

Friday:
Option 1:
take exit 129 off of i 70 and head south under the interstate. take the first road to the left which will head you west. this road winds around and within a mile or two sends you back under the i 70...continue following the trail...when you come to the y in the road head right...this is reid neilson draw. (left takes you to the head of sinbad the end of our loop)...follow the trail and it will drop you into a beautiful red rock canyon. after a few miles you reach a intersection at the very bottom of the canyon. there are trail markings now...you will want to head left. (right takes you out to buckhorn wash...a very scenic drive and one you do need to take someday...the wedge is indeed incredible.) the trail you are now on heads in a north west direction along the cliffs..eventually you go over a small pass with a wilderness study sign posted right at the top. you drop back down again and then turn south and head up and over fix it pass... there are just enough rocks here that if you have any stock vehicles a spotter might be needed. for kicks and giggles turn around and climb up...this would give any newbies a fun and confidence building session. you are know in north coal wash...put her in 4 high and enjoy....your speed will depend on recent rainfall...it is time to experince the joy of baha...don't bypassswassey arch take a few minutes to take her in...it is huge... follow the wash for several more miles...you will see an exit out of the wash on the left side...take it and follow the trail...eventually you will reach the devilsracetrack (funnest and hardest part of the trail...we have taken stock vehicles through) and dutchman arch. at this point you have arrived at the head of sinbad...some intersting pictographs are there. if you follow the road staying in a easterly manner you will run into reid nelson draw. if you go under i 70 at this point it takes you to a well maintained road. right to swassey cabin and eagle canyon ( very scenic) and left back towards exit 129. this trip is around 30 miles exit 129 and back....we have completed the loop within five hours stopping and observing frequently...i enjoy this part of the swell because of the scenic content of the traveled trail. everyone i have ever been with along this trail has stated how much they enjoyed the trail....

Option 2: Explore Black Dragon Wash and other sites? along I70 back to Green River.

Friday evening, head to Moab, hope to get in town ~ 7:30, catch a warm meal and find a campsite (mabey crash in a hotel room?).

Saturday:
U4WDA Winter Convention

Sunday:
Head home via Price, check out Nine-Mile, back in SLC mid-late afternoon...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Greg said:
Ok, we'll meet up with you on Thursday night. When do you think you'll arrive, 8:30 / 9-ish? (That is 6:30pm, correct?)

It will take us approx. 2.5 hrs to get to the Swell, so if we leave at 6:30pm as well, we should both arrive around the same time.

Shall we plan on meeting in Huntington at 9pm? I have been told that we will find camping in the Buckhorn Wash area (30 mins/~20 miles from Huntington)

Or we could just meet at the Cheveron in Wellington... that may be easier?

offroaddave

It's just one term!
brikar said:
If you are looking for a scenic ride in the swell with just enough small challenges to keep you entertained try this loop. it is one of my favorites. also the blm has done a very nice job in mapping the area and putting up signs at all the major intersections. the first time there about 6 years ago we were completly lost. now there are well detailed maps. in fact they have the maps at their information posts (at all major entrances to the swell).
take exit 129 off of i 70 and head south under the interstate. take the first road to the left which will head you west. this road winds around and within a mile or two sends you back under the i 70...continue following the trail...when you come to the y in the road head right...this is reid neilson draw. (left takes you to the head of sinbad the end of our loop)...follow the trail and it will drop you into a beautiful red rock canyon. after a few miles you reach a intersection at the very bottom of the canyon. there are trail markings now...you will want to head left. (right takes you out to buckhorn wash...a very scenic drive and one you do need to take someday...the wedge is indeed incredible.) the trail you are now on heads in a north west direction along the cliffs..eventually you go over a small pass with a wilderness study sign posted right at the top. you drop back down again and then turn south and head up and over fix it pass... there are just enough rocks here that if you have any stock vehicles a spotter might be needed. for kicks and giggles turn around and climb up...this would give any newbies a fun and confidence building session. you are know in north coal wash...put her in 4 high and enjoy....your speed will depend on recent rainfall...it is time to experince the joy of baha...don't bypassswassey arch take a few minutes to take her in...it is huge... follow the wash for several more miles...you will see an exit out of the wash on the left side...take it and follow the trail...eventually you will reach the devilsracetrack (funnest and hardest part of the trail...we have taken stock vehicles through) and dutchman arch. at this point you have arrived at the head of sinbad...some intersting pictographs are there. if you follow the road staying in a easterly manner you will run into reid nelson draw. if you go under i 70 at this point it takes you to a well maintained road. right to swassey cabin and eagle canyon ( very scenic) and left back towards exit 129. this trip is around 30 miles exit 129 and back....we have completed the loop within five hours stopping and observing frequently...i enjoy this part of the swell because of the scenic content of the traveled trail. everyone i have ever been with along this trail has stated how much they enjoyed the trail....with moab rankings i would give the majority of the trail a 3 with a 3 1/2 over the racetrack.
it would be fun to go out with you however work calls...

That is some of the best trails in the swell, But better take a map & GPS.
Not to be an ass, but if you exit and head south, Then take your first left would'nt you be going east?
Be careful, have fun.

Greg

Admin
cruiseroutfit said:
Shall we plan on meeting in Huntington at 9pm? I have been told that we will find camping in the Buckhorn Wash area (30 mins/~20 miles from Huntington)

Or we could just meet at the Cheveron in Wellington... that may be easier?

I think Wellington would be easier, but it'll take us about 45 more minutes for us to get there. I may have to get off work early in order to meet up with you in time. Will you have your cell phone on you? Can you PM me with your number?

As for the route we'll take, it doesn't matter to me. I know little about the area, anything down there will be cool, but I think the more senic the better.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
offroaddave said:
..Not to be an ass, but if you exit and head south, Then take your first left would'nt you be going east?....

I noticed that too... I assume we SHOULD take a right and head South to Eagle Canyon area & Dutchman Arch??