Finger tip amputation! -- view with caution

OREGON85

from OREGON
So, has anyone on here amputated a finger tip? I got my right ring finger between the fingernail and the knuckle. Most of the bone is still intact and sticking out in a peculiar fashion. Smashed it between a big log and the edge of my trailer. Because it not a clean cut, rather a smash they couldn't sew it back on. Surgery tomorrow or Wednesday. Anyone know what the recovery is like? It's slow typing with one hand.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I've lopped a few fingertips off, they sewed them up though. The recovery was alright but it hurt like a mother#$%@#% if I would hit the lopped tips.... raw nerve endings don't like that. But that's all... never did manage to lose anything permanent. :)

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Sick! Most I have seen just flap the skin over and leave it a nub. Good luck with that one. Merry Christmas!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'll have to see if I can get my friend Kevin (Turbohaulic) to post up some pics of his hand. You're lucky it was your fingertip... He lost two fingers :ugh:

That being said it still sucks--sorry man :(

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Who knows why, but I had my finger inside a U-joint when the driveline fell down. The result was pretty much a nut-cracker effect to the tip of my finger. The joint was not damaged, and the finger tip stayed attached to my finger, but the bone in the tip of the finger looked like sand in the x-rays. The pretty much just stitched up the torn skin, and had me wear a splint for a few weeks. The fingertip still looks a little flat, but it is not too bad. During the recovery I figured out how to type with 9 fingers, and I got pretty fast at it. Sorry to hear about yours, it makes brings back memories :sick:

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
I had the wind blow a steel shop door closed and sheered off the tip 1/2 inch of my most important finger. They did sew it back on but like Tacoma said it hurt like an S.O.B.. Now if you were talking about losing TOES I have a whole other story there.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
lol here's my contribution. Don't slam your finger between the metal door panels on a car.

l_36ae8da3563e3c3aa9016622eb8436a5.jpg

rholbrook

My son lost his at age 6 when it got pinched between the trailer and the atv. I picked up the end, threw it in ice and rushed to the emergency. They sewed it back on, even put stiches in the finger nail. The pad on the end died is all and now his finger nail kind of grows back over the end of his finger. It can get tender but he is good.

This happened on Hell's Gate to my friend.
http://picasaweb.google.com/halestormracing/CraigSFingerDamageMoabMay313008?authkey=zVEZbZA4oX o

http://picasaweb.google.com/Naykid250/GraphicPicsOfCraigsFinger

Last edited:

Caleb

I've had a couple friends loose fingers. One was riding a waverunner holding a tube (boating tube), the wind caught the tube and took it like a sail. Before he could react the rope had wrapped itself around his finger and popped it right off. It plopped in to the water and surprisingly sunk like a rock. So if you're ever at Deer Creek, watch out for a floating finger :p

I also have a friend that has lost three (maybe four) fingers/tips. He's a carpenter and isn't quite careful enough with the saw :D

Both seem to recover fairly quickly and have adapted quite well.

OREGON85

from OREGON
Just got back from the doctor. Now the surgery is scheduled for Friday afternoon. They're going to move skin from elsewhere on my finger and put it over the tip. It should end up close to the same length it was since most of the bone is still there and a deformed fingernail may grow back. I'm not sure that a deformed fingernail is better than no fingernail. In fact the doctor said if it does grow back it may just get in the way an need to be cut out anyway.

rholbrook

Just got back from the doctor. Now the surgery is scheduled for Friday afternoon. They're going to move skin from elsewhere on my finger and put it over the tip. It should end up close to the same length it was since most of the bone is still there and a deformed fingernail may grow back. I'm not sure that a deformed fingernail is better than no fingernail. In fact the doctor said if it does grow back it may just get in the way an need to be cut out anyway.

Just have them get rid of it now and save the hastle of snagging it on everything. You will be much happier.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
i had a buddy in high school chop his finger tip off in wood shop,
he said he didn't even notice till his GF saw all the blood on the floor. (he was really high)

i cut my finger in half, dose that count? :rofl: