First build.

Jeep80CJ7

Ok so this is my first build and it will be a slow one. I'm pretty new to fabrication and I don't have too many tools at home(4" angle grinder, shitty craftsman FCAW machine, and a bag full of welding tools). I am one determined little bastard though. But I did just get access at my work to use the plasma cutting table and the laser cutting table. So that will help alot.

Here's what I have
1980 258 motor
Ford t-18 tranny
dana 300 t-case
TDK CJ7 frame(2 years old)
Ford 9" 4.56 gears, spooled, 31 spline.
1.5" rubicon soa springs. rear only for now.

I am not sure what front end I am going to use right now. Having a hard time finding a chevy d60. Thinking about building a front 9" and using d60 axles if it will work. I know I have seen front 9" so there is a way and I will figure it out.

Here's what I have done so far. Tub cut from windshield back and thrown clear out into my driveway. the **** 20 gone. leaf springs streched 5" frenched lowering it about 2 inches. need to change some suspension things already though.
first pic was about 2 years ago before anything had been done to it.

jeep.jpg

sketchupdrawing.jpg

frntsprngmnt.jpg

frntsprngmnt2.jpg

rearshcklmnt.jpg

shacklepic.jpg

shacklemntrevised.jpg

notchedframe.jpg

Last edited:

LT.

Looks like you have a good start. If you are not going to run a tire over 37" a front and rear 9" Ford will be enough. If you are wanting to run a bigger motor (like a V-8) then you will be at the limits of those axles.

LT.

Jeep80CJ7

I do not plan on swapping motors, maybe build the 258 a bit. And I do plan on running 38" tires. people have ran bigger than that on d44, and the 9" is built better and is stronger than the 44. After things start breaking on the rear 9" I plan to upgrade it all to 35or 40 spline.

RockChucker

my cousin is parting out his jeep that is a tj with a cj drivetrain. his name on here is mierdota, he may have some parts you maybe interested in. shoot him a pm.

Jeep80CJ7

Well the only thing i really need right now is a front diff. i pretty much have everything else i need for the build besides all the steel.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Good for you for doing this build yourself! Take your time, figure out the right way to do things (ask here if you get stuck), and don't be afraid to do a few things two or three times to get it right. You will find people on here extremely helpful if you are willing to listen to their advice.

Tell us about that welder. I question if it is enough welder to build a front 9". Also, your welds will be much stronger if you properly prepare the surfaces. Grind off all the paint and rust until you have a nice shiny clean surface.

Jeep80CJ7

my welder is just a craftsman fcaw 110 volt, 20%dc , 80 amp piece of ****. I plan on renting a miller generator when it's time for alot of welding and try to get as much as i can done in one day. I will grind off all the rust and scale from the metal before welding. I just have it mocked up for now i guess you would say. Frame is not cracked, just a pen line i drew on it.

Jeep80CJ7

Thanks for the comments everyone. The reason I am doing this myself is I feel if I can't build and or fix what I break myself then this sport is just way too damn expensive. No way I could afford to have it built in a shop or have it fixed in a shop. What's the fun in that anyway.

Spidey

keep it up. excited to see this thing. Are those leafs for the rear? Whats yer plan for axle wrap? Check out the "bambar" on jeepaholics.com
good luck.

Jeep80CJ7

well i got some of the boat sides done today. I have little time before I go to work. first pic is the boatside, last tube still needs notched and tacked on. the second pic is where the boatside will be welded to the frame, oh and my messy ass garage.

IMG_4511.jpg

IMG_4512.jpg

Jeep80CJ7

lets try this again.

boatside pics both sides mounted.

IMG_4528.jpg

fullside.jpg

backside.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

bodymount.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

innerfloor.jpg

firewallcutout.jpg

tubenotchfitup.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

all tubing cut and notched with my trusty 4" angle grinder.

Last edited:

Jeep80CJ7

just a change on the rear shackle mount. cut 6" off the frame and built a new simple bumper and made new shackle brackets. my old ones looked kinda scary.

and yes, after all these months i'm still working on the same rear suspension. I got my clocking ring yesterday so i will be starting on a pretty flat skid. about 2 1/4" below frame.

IMG_4996.jpg

IMG_4995-1.jpg

IMG_4993.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

Last edited:

Jeep80CJ7

Another small update. Clocked the 300 above the frame and chopped off half of the original shifter mount for room with the T-18.

IMG_5002.jpg

So dark in my damn garage you can't even see my frame in this pic.

IMG_5001.jpg

Looks kinda funny. but it works.

I'm thinking maybe sometime during this build I will fix that oil leak from my valve cover. Sounds like a good idea.

Jeep80CJ7

I'm all over hell on this build, but here are some pics of the driver side floor frame. still need to add some gussets on the inside and another brace up front.
passenger side will be the exact same just a little shorter for transfercase clearance.

IMG_5050.jpg

IMG_5049.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5053.jpg