Forest Lake (AF Canyon) Sat 10/17/09

sixstringsteve

Forest Lake this Saturday night. Anyone's welcome to join.

This is up AF Canyon if you're new to the trail. Fun trail with a very scenic destination. Only one or two tricky spots where you have to pick a good line. I'll be in a stock trd tacoma.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

a full size rig could definitely make it. It's got a cool little stream crossing to get across, then it's just a boulder-ridden trail up to a small lake. The trail is pretty wide. Very scenic at the end.

This video will give you a good idea of what it's like. It's a fun trail, not too difficult.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdQU-D-tRfE

Last edited:

4554x4

always modifing something
nice place!

What time are you thinking? Its beautiful up there! I have to replace a rear 14 bolt axle and a left front 60 axle first. I thought these were strong?

sixstringsteve

anyone else interested? This would be a perfect trip to introduce your non-wheeling buddies to the sport. It'll be laid back and a lot of fun.

How are those axles coming 455?

Lka1988

I don't think I have anything going on that night... CB radio channel?

For those of you who are worried, my Land Cruiser has been up there a few times now with no huge issues.

Sweet, I think my plans have been made. I can be there 6-7 or somewhere around that time. I'll see if I can get some friends to go along.

sixstringsteve

Ok.
- This Saturday, Oct 17th.
- Meet at the Chevron at 7 PM
- CB channel 7

Now we just need 7 or 17 rigs to join us.

If anyone has any firewood to donate/bring, that'd be great. I have a little.

Anyone else interested in joining us? The more the merrier. C'mon you lurkers, you know you want to hang out with us.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Dang, I just drove through helper on Saturday, too bad I hadn't seen his ad for firewood. Thanks for posting those.

It's a fun trail at night. It's really pretty up there, especially at night. You'll see tons of stars, and the lake is so remote that it shouldn't be crowded.

I didn't want to spend more than 45 min- 1 hr at the top. I wouldn't expect any carnage, so it should go pretty quick. it's the first day of hunting season, so we may see a few quads coming down the trail, but it's wide enough that it shouldn't slow us down too much. Most of the people going with us will be new to the trail as well, so you'll be in good company.

It usually takes about 1.5-2 hours to get to the lake from Chevron. So I'd expect to be back at the chevron in Highland around 11-12PM. I haven't done it at night for a while, so my estimate may be off (please chime in and correct me if i'm off).

It's $6 to enter the park, unless you have an annual national parks pass. I'm guessing the ranger station will be closed by then, so if it is, you'll just put your money in the envelope.

I'm glad so many people are coming, this is shaping up to be a fun night. Invite any friends you may have, the more the merrier. If anyone's thinking of bringing a stock vehicle, check with us first to see if we think it's a good idea. I think we'll have a stock FJ Cruiser, and my stock tacoma with sliders. The FJ will need a really good spotter in a couple spots to get through without scraping.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

lane texted me this morning, count me in! I can bring one of those small bundles of wood :)

Way to go Lane, thanks for spreading the word. Welcome yota4runner, it'll be good times. I'd bring my wife's runner, but she'd kill me. It looks like you'll be in great shape, especially with that skid plate and sliders.

Last edited:

DewYota

oh im excited to see a fj in action! haha yeah my runner is ready to go dont worry, lifted, 32's, RR Locker, and armored :)