Fred is RED

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've owned this truck for three months now and about 3,700 miles. I really love the motor and trans. Shifting is seamless and it always Jeeps the motor in its power band.

I've towed the dump trailer with my tractor in it several times now, mostly back and forth from Eagle Mountain to my home in Grantsville. There are a handful of grades on that route that are probably no more than 4% and the truck keeps the speed limit quite easily pulling this load. I had it set at 72 mph on Wednesday coming home with this combo and it shifted clear down to 3rd gear for a few seconds. For a completely stock motor, it sounds absolutely terrific at 5,500 rpm pulling that trailer. 😎 I have no doubt that I could get better mileage if it didn't sound so good.

347F4C1E-5A3B-401C-BB68-89C508845E77.jpeg
On this current tank if fuel I fueled up at the mouth of Spanish Fork canyon on our way to Skyline Drive to kill us an Xmas tree.

54209F37-0F62-4BB3-AC7B-395CC167ECD1.jpeg

By the time we reached Fairview Canyon, the trip mpg showed 10.2 mpg because of all of that low speed dirt road exploring. By the time we got home 140 miles later it was at 15.2 mpg. Then I drove to Eagle Mountain to snag the tractor and trailer (56 miles). When I got home, the trip mpg had dropped to 13.7 mpg.

One surprising feature on this truck is the fuel tank. I expected it to be a 28 gallon tank with what I had found online, but it's gotta be a 34 gallon. I've put 32 gallons at a time in there at least 3 times now. That gives it a much more reasonable range than my 2015 F-350 with the 6.2 gas engine and it's 28 gallon tank.

I still haven't pulled my 5th wheel with it. We decided to leave it on the mountain this winter.

I'm not terribly happy with Ford's suspension in the rear. It sags too easily with any trailer hooked up to it, and it doesn't contact the overload spring until it's sagged significantly. That drives me a little crazy, so it will get airbags eventually.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've owned this truck for three months now and about 3,700 miles. I really love the motor and trans. Shifting is seamless and it always Jeeps the motor in its power band.

I've towed the dump trailer with my tractor in it several times now, mostly back and forth from Eagle Mountain to my home in Grantsville. There are a handful of grades on that route that are probably no more than 4% and the truck keeps the speed limit quite easily pulling this load. I had it set at 72 mph on Wednesday coming home with this combo and it shifted clear down to 3rd gear for a few seconds. For a completely stock motor, it sounds absolutely terrific at 5,500 rpm pulling that trailer. 😎 I have no doubt that I could get better mileage if it didn't sound so good.

View attachment 143716
On this current tank if fuel I fueled up at the mouth of Spanish Fork canyon on our way to Skyline Drive to kill us an Xmas tree.

View attachment 143717

By the time we reached Fairview Canyon, the trip mpg showed 10.2 mpg because of all of that low speed dirt road exploring. By the time we got home 140 miles later it was at 15.2 mpg. Then I drove to Eagle Mountain to snag the tractor and trailer (56 miles). When I got home, the trip mpg had dropped to 13.7 mpg.

One surprising feature on this truck is the fuel tank. I expected it to be a 28 gallon tank with what I had found online, but it's gotta be a 34 gallon. I've put 32 gallons at a time in there at least 3 times now. That gives it a much more reasonable range than my 2015 F-350 with the 6.2 gas engine and it's 28 gallon tank.

I still haven't pulled my 5th wheel with it. We decided to leave it on the mountain this winter.

I'm not terribly happy with Ford's suspension in the rear. It sags too easily with any trailer hooked up to it, and it doesn't contact the overload spring until it's sagged significantly. That drives me a little crazy, so it will get airbags eventually.
Just as another option: https://www.torklift.com/rv/stableload

I have airbags on my truck and like them, but I like the zero-maintenance, zero-effort idea of these. :) @mesha has them on his truck....

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Disappointing to hear since its the 1 ton option, would expect that from the 3/4 ton.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This is an interesting Idea.. but it seems like they would be much more awkward to engage/disengage. Especially if the truck is already loaded, and then you need to engage them.
You don't engage/disengage them. You just install them and they make your overload leaves engage sooner.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
You don't engage/disengage them. You just install them and they make your overload leaves engage sooner.
Their website shows people engage/dis them, and how easy it is to do. It has a pin to hold it in the different positions. I assumed you would disengage for non-towing times.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I am interested in them, especially as I have a set of air bags in my cart right now.
I had never even seen these. What makes them more special than any other metal wedged in the springs? If this is an effective way to carry more load, why not just make something similar for way cheaper?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I am interested in them, especially as I have a set of air bags in my cart right now.
I had never even seen these. What makes them more special than any other metal wedged in the springs? If this is an effective way to carry more load, why not just make something similar for way cheaper?
The ones I'm thinking of, are just basically a hunk of rubber. I think. I don't know for sure since I don't have them. Maybe you could wedge a hunk of 2x4 in there to do the same? :handlebars:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The ones I'm thinking of, are just basically a hunk of rubber. I think. I don't know for sure since I don't have them. Maybe you could wedge a hunk of 2x4 in there to do the same? :handlebars:

Ok, you are talking about the top spring part, right? I was taking about the bottom spring helper.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I was just teasing you since you always complain about having no free time. hahaha

Those lower thingies look simple but that fiddly pivot mechanism stuff might take forever to engineer.

I just looked at my truck. The flippy thingy wouldn't work for me anyway. I only have a top overload spring.
It sits just an inch or so below the rubber bumper. Even with bikes and gear I do not sit on the overload springs. But I bet with the double RZR set up I will. I am sure I could find something very easy to put there to get the overloads to engage sooner.

Pile of parts

Just as another option: https://www.torklift.com/rv/stableload

I have airbags on my truck and like them, but I like the zero-maintenance, zero-effort idea of these. :) @mesha has them on his truck....
Interesting. I have airbags and like them too. However, I like the hassle free idea. Maybe if I had onboard air for adjusting, it wouldn't be a big deal. Although, even with no load on the truck they recommend 5 psi in the bags and I think it does affect ride quality. Might be worth a talk with @mesha.