Northern Utah Freeze Your Tail Off 4

What: Freeze Your Tail Off 4
When: December 21st - 22nd
Where: The Sun Tunnels
Who: Anyone interested in freezing out in the west desert to have a chance seeing the sun rise through the Sun Tunnels for the winter solctice.
Details:
This is Expedition Utah's fourth annual Freeze Your Tail Off campout! we will be meeting at the gas station in Delle [Map] at 6:00pm on Friday, December 21st. From there we will caravan to the Bonneville Speedway exit off I-80 [Map]. This is your last chance for gas, if you need it. After topping off our tanks we will caravan to the Sun Tunnels [Map].
Once we reach the Sun Tunnels, we'll pitch camp and get a fire going! Everyone is encouraged to bring wood, as it will be COLD out there!
In the morning, if you're able, try to wake up for the sunrise as it shines through the tunnels, it really is a sight to see. After everyone has thawed a little and is ready to get moving again we will split into two groups. One that heads up over the old Transcontinental Railroad grade back towards Brigham City and another down around the Silver Island Mountains and Wendover again.

So if braving the cold for a night sounds entertaining to you (and we hope it does!) please post up so that we know who's going!

FYTO3 Trip Report

CB Channel: 21

Attendees:
Stephen +1
Kurt
sixstringsteve +3
Scott +1
Adam
Brad
Rot Box
jeepin4x4james
tacomaman99 +1
ModStock
Jeepj667
Sawtooth
Moody
Brian P
Micah
dubtaco
dugfab
Del Glue
Brute Force +3
Troy DeMill
Dave(man)
beno
deviant
notajeep +1
Chaos
Paul R.
Chats
Zack J. +1
mbradshaw
Grimmjpr +1
toy-utah fj
Krazytoy +1
blznnp
Tonkaman
trd270 +1
jentzschman
Westernhunter
Don Carroll + 1
heavy18
whitecruise
bigeee
lilmule+3
taylorf16

Maybe:
SiRed91
max.powerzz +1
Mavrick
flyjester
CobraNutt
WillyLin
bobn (Saturday Only)
MooseCruiser +1
JCMatthews +1
hedonist +1
DAA
Wjeeper
Donner
Jesser04
kepkramer
DevinB
jonharis
LFNTMS
MrMillcreek +1
Rotorgeek
What is Expedition Utah? Expedition Utah is a website and forum dedicated to vehicle assisted exploration of Utah's beautiful and varied backcountry. We strive to provide an online repository of information to help people plan their next adventures and a forum to let them discuss it with others who share their passion. Our Quarterly Trail Rides are designed to move that experience off the computer and into the real world by highlighting Utah's thousands and thousands of miles of scenic backroads.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Count me and my wife (and Fender) in, this is one of our favorite events every year. We'll be interested in the Silver Island Mountains loop.

For those bringing dogs: in some parts, the ground is frozen and can tear the pads on their feet. I recommend booties or socks or something to protect their pads.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Dang it, the family and I head out for Louisiana/Texas for the holidays on the 22nd.....
Next year I guess

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I should add that I take the Snowville route to get to Lucin. If there's anyone from the Northernmost part of the state that thinks this would be more convenient you're more than welcome to tag along.

sixstringsteve

I haven't seen a trailer out there. It's a bit of a rough road. Lots of RTTs, sleeping in cars, a few in tents, and one crazy MODDY who sleeps under the stars.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
In!
Sounds like a good time!

Does everyone pitch tents/sleep in cars or can you drag a trailer along?

You can get a trailer out there if you want, we had one last year. The road up from Wendover is about the worst washboard you can imagine, though. So be forwarned.
Most people sleep in there vehicles, but tents, under the stars, whatever.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Hell yea. Ive been waiting for this . Got a new rig to pull the tear . Im commited. Just gotta throw clothes/food in and im gone. :D