Northern Utah Freeze Your Tail Off 4

Jesser04

Trying to talk Matt into it, maybe rent a camper. He thinks I'm nuts, "why have a cabin and pay for a camper?"

Seriously though, would anyone be interested in going in on a camper? I'd pull it with my diesel excursion on 35's, lots of room.

Update: checked around a little, 28-30' "bunkhouse" sleeping 7 or so, depending on availability and whether it was back on Saturday or Monday (Christmas Eve) it could range from $250-400.

I've done plenty of Klondike campouts and know how to stay warm, but a camper with a furnace sounds nice too. :-D

How is the road on the way out? Good for a motorhome/trailer?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Trying to talk Matt into it, maybe rent a camper. He thinks I'm nuts, "why have a cabin and pay for a camper?"

Seriously though, would anyone be interested in going in on a camper? I'd pull it with my diesel excursion on 35's, lots of room.

Update: checked around a little, 28-30' "bunkhouse" sleeping 7 or so, depending on availability and whether it was back on Saturday or Monday (Christmas Eve) it could range from $250-400.

I've done plenty of Klondike campouts and know how to stay warm, but a camper with a furnace sounds nice too. :-D
If the outdoor rec up at hill was still renting the trailers I could get one dirt cheap! but I think they closed that down for winter...

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I will be snowshoeing into a yurt in the ashley national forest. Still cold, but the wood burning stove keeps it toasty inside.

I can't believe I have never been on the freeze your tail off ride. so lame.:wtf:

Last edited:

Bart

People do it but it would be a long slow drive as much of the road is wash-boarded. I'd watch the road conditions as major snow out there could make it a bit dicey for 2WD rigs or trailers.

From this I'm taking it that a stock 1/2 ton 4x4 could make it?

SpeedyVic

Put me down as a "maybe". I think I will be able to make it, but I have to check my schedule with the kids. My daughter would more than likely go with me. She is the adventurous type!

sixstringsteve

winter camping is all about a nice sleeping pad and a fantastic sleeping bag. if you don't have a fantastic sleeping bag, pick up a fleece liner for $10 from rec outlet, it'll make a HUGE difference.

sixstringsteve

cool. Just remember, all zero degree bags are not created equal. And usually zero degree bags mean you'll survive at zero degrees, not be warm. :)

I'd recommend talking to Mesha on here before buying one. I'm a fan of down but synthetic bags have lots of great properties as well. I slept in my marmot down bag last weekend under the stars in 20* weather and I was toasty. But that had a lot to do with my pad as well.