Fuel cell behind wrangler seat

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Looking to stretch a TJ. A lot of guys are using the aluminum RCI cells behind the seat. I like that idea since I can't afford a genright.

looking at these RCI aluminum tanks
2191a 19 gallons 30"x12"x12"
2162a 15 gallons 30"x12"x9"
2161a 15 gallons 30"x9"x12"

Who has run these? Do the 12" deep models fit behind the seat with no modification to the seat? I know there is enough room behind the seat at the bottom, but the seat back lays back and gets closer to the tail gate at the top. I want to make sure it will fit. I don't have the jeep to measure yet. I will be picking one up in the near future.

Have you had any problems with fumes since it is inside the jeep?

Any other options I should be looking at?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Plenty of guys run the 2161a with the back seat. I was scared by how many posts I saw with guys that had leaks in those cells. Most of them were mounted by the tabs instead of straps, but I still didn't like the idea. I also hate the in tank fuel pump assemblies. I went with a plastic cell that was the same dimension as the 2161. Here is the info from our build thread:

This would also be a good place to document my fuel setup. I wanted something the size of an RCI2161A, so we could throw a back seat it when that time came. We also had so many issues with our factory fuel pump assembly, I decided to go to an external fuel pump.

The filter/regulator is for a 2000 grand cherokee, Fram PN G8414
Fuel pump is the E2000
The fuel cell was the dilemma. I didn't want to deal with the cracking problems of the RCI2161a, so I went with a 10 gallon Jazz cell, same depth and height as the RCI2161, but a few inches narrower PN JZP-260-010-01.

I found Jegs easier to work with than Summit for the miscellaneous fittings. They seemed to have more in stock.

brandonlmb

brandonlmb
I have a fuel cell that is the same dimensions as the rci. It fits behind the seat but it's tight it will rub against the seat with someone in it. As far as the fumes goes mine Stinks, but I have a leaky gas cap. It didn't smell to bad befor the cap leaked, but I don't think I would do a fuel cell behind the seat if it was my daily driver.

chadschoon

I ha the rci cell in my tj when I had it. I drove it on the streets and never had any gas smell. I am with Ben though, I wouldn't run the stock fuel pump. I broke 2 in the tank. They don't sit right.

RockChucker

look at Greg's RME TJ build, now owned by Hunt. He had a fuel cell custom made to fit behind the seat and it was wider at the bottom and narrower at the top. A guy here local in SL makes them. I'm sure Greg could hook you up with more info than I know.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just moved the floor/tank up about five inches and am using an oem Wrangler tank. It's worked well for me. Check out posts from H8Monday on PBB for details.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have the RCI 2161a behind my seat it fits great and doesnt rub at the top of my seat in my YJ I used the ears to mount it and straps I have never had a top on it so I cant comment on the fume issue.

I am just running a summit racing external fuel pump mounted to my frame rail it was like 80 bucks. Rated for I think 65 psi.
It makes for a super simple setup and replacing a fuel pump is a 5 minute ordeal.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I ran the 19 gallon in my cj7 and would do it again. You need to be careful when you add fuel as I think the threads on fill neck could get messed up pretty easy. Just take your time putting the cap on. I only mounted mine with the tabs, but had the tank sitting on a mud flap. That bit of rubber gave it enough play not to have any leak issues. I ran the vent line to the charcoal canister so I never got any fumes, but on waterfalls sometimes the canister would fill with fuel and overflow.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I just drilled a hole through the wheel well and mounted the breather outside the jeep its been great so far and never had a problem with it leaking

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am reading and checking out the threads you guys directed me toward. thanks.

My last YJ just self clearanced by letting the pumpkin hit the skid until it moved out of the way. That worked pretty good actually. I read a thread on PBB about heating the plastic tank up with a heat gun and pushing it in and then cutting and welding the skid to match. that seems like an okay option I guess.

The YJ before that, I cut the floor of the jeep out raised the tank and moved the seat forward. It was easy, but my kids are getting bigger and I would like to keep as much head room and leg room as possible.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
....The YJ before that, I cut the floor of the jeep out raised the tank and moved the seat forward. It was easy, but my kids are getting bigger and I would like to keep as much head room and leg room as possible.

I moved my seat mounts up and back from stock with stronger materials. That gives them a little more legroom and height for some semblance of comfort. Being that my kids are sitting there, I keep a pretty sharp eye on those mounts (redone in the stock "style" but with beefier material) and haven't seen any fatigue yet.

bamacpl

I have the 2161a & have had to re-weld the seams several times! It is mounted w/straps....,

I am in the process of welding some baffles in it to keep the walls from flexing so much & causing the welds to crack.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My aluminum cell has been re-welded several times too.

I wish there was a cheaper option for the tanks like genright makes.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i talked with a guy that runs the 19 gallon behinde the seat it has cracked and been rewelded several times he was really fed up with it that said i went with a plastic one for my runner less problems

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
The problem is most people mount there fuel cell rigid. We all know when we are all twisted up in the rocks the bodies of our rigs twist up to. You need to mount the cell with straps and use rubber under the straps and under the cell so it gives the fuel cell room to move with the body.......If that makes sense.....