Full-Width DD XJ--Bad Idea?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm not even running 35's yet. It's just that I would like to ditch the 33's and go to 35's. My D30 is HP with no vacuum. You think I should stick with it?
I appreciate your advice given the amount of previous experience you have had with the XJ.

I ran a 30 with 35s on my TJ and had no problems and it was a low pinion. I'm not a big skinny pedal guy though. The high pinion the XJ gives you a stronger ring gear. I'd stick with what you have until you have problems. You may want to upgrade the shafts and u-joints.

I'm with Bart on this. I don't usually recommend upgraded shafts esp. for a D30, but in this case, I'd consider them IF/WHEN you get tired of changing out stockers.

If I were in your shoes with the 4.88 gears, I'd move to 35" tires so I could stand to drive it on the highway :D (I ran those in my XJ with 35" MTRs). Oh, don't "baja" that D30. I'm sure at least a few of my D30 issues were caused by running out of Pritchett Canyon at speed. If you're going to do that, I'd take a look at Jeff Turner's polished D30. He's trussed and reinforced everything possible on that thing.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I also agree that the 44 front is not a worthwhile upgrade to a dana 30. If you're breaking 30 parts, chances are you'll break 44 parts too.

I would spend the money on upgraded 30 parts and a few wheelin trips and not mess with the hassle of swapping over axles that are marginally better than what what you have.

parks_pop

My wife thanks you guys :) Oh and by the way the 4.88's aren't bad on the highway with 33's. I am always surprised to see how many people go with 4.56's. 4.88's rule.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
When I had 35" MT/R's on mine I only broke 1 u-joint and shaft the whole time I had it. You might get lucky like me and not have to worry about the dana 30.