Game of "B.I.K.E." - beginner version

sixstringsteve

In my 30 min of practice, I leaned a few tips. Hopefully they help other people.

1) it makes a big difference which way you turn the bars (clockwise vs counter). Try both ways.

2) don't try to learn it all in one shot. This trick is a combination of 5 pieces of tricks: stopping, turning the wheel, balancing on the front wheel, then turning back, then pedaling again.

3) it was easier for me to come to a 100% complete stop before trying to turn the bars.

4) turning the bars into the 90* and back without falling over is probably the toughest part

5) when you've balanced on the front tire and you're ready to spin it back straight, you'll realize whether you spun the bars the right way, because one foot will instictively be wanting to pedal forward. When I turned the bars counter-clockwise, I found that I wanted to land right-foot forward (goofy) to start pedalling. When i turned the bars clockwise, the left-foot-forward (regular) stance worked better. This made a huge difference in riding away from it.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

The thing about track-standing a fixie is that you have a lot more control being stopped than a free-wheeled hub.

x2. I've got a fixie, and track stands are a lot easier (though they're still not "easy"). I tried doing this trick on the fixie, and it was a lot tougher because I was so much higher off the ground than on my 24".

I'd love to see someone with their feet on the front wheel with no hands. When I watch all my "fails" when attempting this trick, I'm realizing that it's kinda like riding a unicycle from the side.

Before I can be anywhere near as good as Brian, I need to learn to balance on that front wheel for a while. It's a really fun trick to practice.

Last edited:

rholbrook

Hope this passes. I seem to be able to do it easier now. Steve has some good tips. What helped me was to just go for it with both feet at the same time[video=youtube_share;7Nm3CKH3cMU]http://youtu.be/7Nm3CKH3cMU[/video]

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I tried to go no hands this evening and can't do it any more. I went one hand and could go a couple minutes easily.

Cascadia

Undecided
Hope this passes. I seem to be able to do it easier now. Steve has some good tips. What helped me was to just go for it with both feet at the same time[video=youtube_share;7Nm3CKH3cMU]http://youtu.be/7Nm3CKH3cMU[/video]
It looks like you're trying not to laugh as you pedal off.

sixstringsteve

Nice Stratton! I agree, it looks so easy. It took me 30 minutes as well, and about 100 tries before I got my 2 sketchy ones.

sixstringsteve

for those of you struggling with this trick, here's a little fail video I put together. you're not the only one struggling.

[video=youtube;AxQL-1crgMw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQL-1crgMw[/video]

Rock Taco

Here is my attempt. I don't need any more letters.

[video=youtube;3pieFwdCl5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pieFwdCl5w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Brian, has anyone demonstrated it well enough in your opinion?

This is a game for fun, and not a competition.. In that regard I am not one to be picky. Besides, I am sure I will need some forgiveness on some tricks too.

I give an A for effort to all.

sixstringsteve

Cool. This is definitely one I'll be practicing for the next year. My video was more me lucking out than being able to repeat it over and over.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Kevin, are you good for a new trick on Monday night?

Kyle, if we don't hear from Kevin, we might need you to step up a week early.

D

Deleted member 12904

So last night or really more like this morning after an entertaining night at the dead dog saloon Doug our friend Kyle and myself made some rather interesting video of us attempting this weeks trick. I need to edit it some but it will try to get it up before tomorrow night. Fair warning for those easily offended you will just want to skip right on past this.