Gawynz Manche Thread

crosbike

That 30 is looking great. You have way more motivation to fix up a 30 than i ever will. I keep hoping to break minde to swap in a super 60 or something

Gawynz

That 30 is looking great. You have way more motivation to fix up a 30 than i ever will. I keep hoping to break minde to swap in a super 60 or something

Thanks, hopefully in the future I don't regret it. It's tough to not keep growing the scope, but I keep going back to my original build plan of a daily driver/33s/mild wheeling rig and I think this axle will fit the bill. I have my buggy to do buggy stuff, this just needs to be a fun, relatively reliable, relatively low cost, dd. That said, I have fallen to scope growth on this d30 a bit maybe with the bracing (though all scrap), WJ knuckle/brake swap, booster swap, and I plan to do GM 1ton TRE crossover steering (parts on the way) but I think these things will add a level of confidence in the vehicle, and if I'm being honest it's just fun ha.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Thanks, hopefully in the future I don't regret it. It's tough to not keep growing the scope, but I keep going back to my original build plan of a daily driver/33s/mild wheeling rig and I think this axle will fit the bill. I have my buggy to do buggy stuff, this just needs to be a fun, relatively reliable, relatively low cost, dd. That said, I have fallen to scope growth on this d30 a bit maybe with the bracing (though all scrap), WJ knuckle/brake swap, booster swap, and I plan to do GM 1ton TRE crossover steering (parts on the way) but I think these things will add a level of confidence in the vehicle, and if I'm being honest it's just fun ha.
That's been the plan for my YJ. Although ORIs are probably stupid on a dana 30 but hey why not. Do solid 7-8 rated trails all day. Buggy will be for hard stuff.

Gawynz

Well it's off jack stands and under it's own weight, I threw the axle under to figure out drag link lengths. Cool seeing it at ride height, I'm pretty happy with where it's sitting, but there are a few issues/decisions to make (opinions always welcome).
20220403_094007.jpg

20220403_091533.jpg

20220403_100240.jpg

20220403_100215.jpg

The biggest issue I have is clearance to the ID of 15" wheels; because I'm trying to do tie rod over knuckle, the tie rod ends hit the wheel at about 1/2 full steer, I'm also pretty confident there will be clearance issues with the larger WJ calipers, so options:
  • Move tie rod under knuckle, grind on calipers where needed, and make my KSL wheel/tire package work (maintain 15"/33")
  • Sell my KSL wheel/tire package and do a 17"/33" combo. I really like the look of 33's on this rig and I like the sidewall to wheel ratio that 15s give, I'm not sure I like the idea of 17"/33" as much but I don't think it'd look bad.
  • Sell my KSL wheel/tire package and this is where scope creep comes in ha... When I chose 4.56 gears I always thought that gave me some head room to go 35s in the future if I wanted, so I could do a 17"/35" combo w/ a bit more trimming (which I don't mind, might as well do it now). This option gives plenty of clearance and thins the sidewall a little less.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
17’s 100%

Also you should really connect the LCA plates to the axle tube, pictured in red. Connecting them together doesn’t strengthen them enough to keep them from tweaking and ripping off- connecting them to the axle tube solves this.
F25A16A3-71E6-4E61-A493-660944EC98AD.jpeg
Lastly, I’ve had to cut this portion of the shock mount on every short arm Jeep I ever worked on. They hit at full droop.
2A791CCF-BB24-49C8-9CEE-2A0BC5BD7186.jpeg

Gawynz

Thanks for the input, I agree, 17's make the most sense at this point.

@xj_nate I get where your coming from on the LCA to axle, I started doing it that way and then figured it'd just be another spot where dirt/mud gets packed in so recognizing that it wasn't as good I left a gap to clean it out, easy enough to connect it though. Also, I intend to cut the spring perch as you indicated, I noticed contact there as I drooped it to get the springs in as well as on the upper control arms, so there is a bit of trimming to do.

So @crosbike's comment got me thinking... I really don't want to buy new wheels, and I can't find much of anything on KSL for 4.5x5x17. There are tons of new, clean, cheap, 5x5x17 or 18 jeep takeoffs that I think would look cool on the older truck. 5x4.5 to 5x5 adapters would widen by about 1.25" per side, but depending on backspacing of the takeoffs maybe I could correct for some of that? I know daily driving spacers is a widely debated topic on the interwebs, pretty much you can find any answer you want.

example:
1649087605727.png

1649087555426.png

Bart

I have a set of 5 JK wheels you can have for $100. They have a little rock rash on them. They are the Hard Rock version and a great looking wheel. Very similar to the bottom pic.

Gawynz

I could help out with the Idaho Falls wheels if you go that route.

I really appreciate the offer, thank you. If I decide to go that route I'll be sure and let you know.

I have a set of 5 JK wheels you can have for $100. They have a little rock rash on them. They are the Hard Rock version and a great looking wheel. Very similar to the bottom pic.

I'm going to send you a PM w/ my number if you don't mind sharing pictures. Thanks.

Gawynz

So today I got a really good deal on a wheel/tire package off a 2021 Gladiator. Owner said they had less than 50 miles when pulled. 285/70R17 which should be slightly smaller diameter than the 33x10.5xR15s that I currently have installed but they actually measure slightly larger. Going to run 1.5" wheel adapters in the rear and 1.25" in the front to account for offset/pattern and some of the axle width difference. I like the look of these new wheels a lot more than the original set i picked up, I think it'll look cool on the old truck.

20220407_122930.jpg

Gawynz

Little more blingy ha.
20220408_122316.jpg

Shouldn't be, but these tires are a tad bigger.
20220408_122506.jpg

20220408_122909.jpg

With 1.25" adapters in the front each wheel moves inboard about 1 inch from where they were with the old wheels. I don't have the rotors on so they will be a bit more outboard than this. I'm happy with it. I'm a little bummed I already wasted time drilling my new rotors to 5x4.5 ha.
20220408_123018.jpg

Plenty of clearance now.
20220408_122926.jpg