gemini bridges?

Houndoc

andy d said:
is it permitted to drive across the "bridge"?

Permitted or not (doubt it but don't know), seems like a really, really bad idea in the PR department. We should have the sense to stay of somethings, and that would be one!!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
It's always been permitted as far as I know. I've driven across both sides many times. Why is that bad PR, Houndoc?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
being that it's a national monument (isn't it?), I don't think the authorities would be particularly happy if they found you driving accross it. However, I did it about 5 years ago. I'm not sure how I feel about that one--generally when it's just slickrock that you will leave no trace on (or at least so little of a trace that the rain will elminiate it), I don't feel bad about traveling on it. National monuments are a little different I guess.

Cody

Capt. Picky

quite
Cody said:
being that it's a national monument (isn't it?),....
Cody

It is? News to me Cody. As far as I know, that's not been the case.

A few years back, a 4-wheeler had a catastophic vehicle failure in which both his vehicle - with him in it - 'launched' off one of the spans which resulted in his death. I believe there is a memorial plaque which has been placed there. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but in a National Monument or Park (even on public land..which counters my 'argument'), one cannot customarily have 'personal' items permanently placed. So, it would seem that AFAIK, it is still part of the BLM general domain and not a N.M.

But heck, things change around here in a blink of an eye now.

As far as driving either span is concerned - if still permitted - it is always a good idea to be respectful of the land and the other visitors - if any - that are present. I've driven both spans numerous times in the past; the last time being approximately 2 years ago.

.02 cents FWIW. If any of the above is incorrect, I'd appreciate any clarification and correction.

Cheers,
Capt. Picky

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
notajeep said:
Legal or not.. I was a little nervous walking over them...Take my truck over.....NO WAY! Maybe I'm just a p@$$y...but what is the point of driving over?

Driven both many times, only walked once....I'd much rather drive!!

I have never heard of it being a national monument.

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
i have driven over it, and i was planning on diving over it again. cody might be mistaking it for something in Arches (maybe). i have seen many people drive over it, and the first person that took me to it said that the EJS takes you over it, if you want (that may not be true, never been). i have always thought it questionable so i just wanted some local input and possible definates. i am leading a group of land rovers up there and i don't want to do anything illegal and be a bad example to the new people to our sport. thanks for the input. andy d

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I wasn't sure, but for some reason I was thinking it was some sort of naitional monument. I trust Mr. Picky's wisdom.

standard.jpg

Now that I'm almost a foot wider, I'm not sure I'd like it so much.

Cody

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Capt. Picky said:
A few years back, a 4-wheeler had a catastophic vehicle failure in which both his vehicle - with him in it - 'launched' off one of the spans which resulted in his death.

BTW, the catastrophic vehicle failure was a Mt Dew bottle that rolled underneath the brake pedal and prevented him from stopping.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
There was a rumor going around after the accident that Gemini Bridges was going to be closed to vehicles. This has been an option during EJS so I talked with Russ at the Moab BLM office. What the BLM did was put up some no vehicle signs close to the bridges that they did not want vehicles on but the bridges remain open. This is to keep vehicles on the path to the bridges. It seems there were tracks all over the place from vehicles trying to find their way.
Just respect the signs and be careful.
Todd

Attachments

• bridge4.jpg
    bridge4.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
Todd Adams said:
There was a rumor going around after the accident that Gemini Bridges was going to be closed to vehicles. This has been an option during EJS so I talked with Russ at the Moab BLM office. What the BLM did was put up some no vehicle signs close to the bridges .......

Todd

when did they put up the signs? we were up there for EJS and there were no signs. our group for EJS had this same question, nobody could say it was ok or not, so we opted to not drive over them.

as for the plaque, after we found it and joe told us the story......
it was all i could do to get close enough to the hole to see the bottom and i couldnt let my kids roam and play anymore.

Capt. Picky

quite
Cody - Todd - et al

Trust my wisdom Cody? Now, if that's the case, I'd like to sell a bridge that I know of in Brooklyn. :) Heck, if you buy it, I'll even throw in two that I know of right here in the neighborhood - they're "twins". Just call the whole package a threefer. :D

Todd - I haven't been there for a while, and I trust your wisdom (BUT NO... I don't wanna buy no bridge. lol).

et-al - :rofl:

As far as trying to keep people on the trail(S) which lead to the Gemini Bridges area from the county road... that's a great idea <thumbs up>;along with blocking any of the numerous routes that have the place looking like a dustbowl and cobwebs of 'trails'.

For *at least* 15 years that place has been hammered; Initially by low-slung tourista types who couldn't do the then *ONE TRAIL* which led to the bridges in the stock-showroom new-whatever-it-was rig they were <ahem> "driving". -_-

So anyway... are there or are there not signs at the Bridges themselves which prohibit the traverse?

Capt. Picky

O'neal

?????????
Capt. Picky said:
It is? News to me Cody. As far as I know, that's not been the case.

A few years back, a 4-wheeler had a catastophic vehicle failure in which both his vehicle - with him in it - 'launched' off one of the spans which resulted in his death. I believe there is a memorial plaque which has been placed there. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but in a National Monument or Park (even on public land..which counters my 'argument'), one cannot customarily have 'personal' items permanently placed. So, it would seem that AFAIK, it is still part of the BLM general domain and not a N.M.

But heck, things change around here in a blink of an eye now.

As far as driving either span is concerned - if still permitted - it is always a good idea to be respectful of the land and the other visitors - if any - that are present. I've driven both spans numerous times in the past; the last time being approximately 2 years ago.

.02 cents FWIW. If any of the above is incorrect, I'd appreciate any clarification and correction.

Cheers,
Capt. Picky

A buddy of mine I wheel with work's at park city towing.I believe it was one of the owner's son.From what I was told "the jeep's rear was pretty close to the edge and as They were getting ready to leave it was still in reverse when he fired it up forgot to change gear and backed off".
They have the picture's of the jeep after it happened hanging on thier office wall,they are not pretty,I could'nt even imagine.They had to hoist it up the cliff with a wrecker because they could'nt gain access to get it in the bottom.

Capt. Picky

quite
Todd Adams said:
If you did not see the "no vehicle" signs then you were on the trail to the bridges. They have been up for a few years.
Todd
Oh. :) Well, it goes to show you that if one doesn't want to see signs all over place, that's best accomplished by staying on the trail. :D May I and everyone always be so fortunate. ;)

Capt.Picky

Capt. Picky

quite
84toy said:
...I was told "the jeep's rear was pretty close to the edge and as They were getting ready to leave it was still in reverse when he fired it up forgot to change gear and backed off"....
The story which was circulating around Moab differed from that, but no matter what the actual circumstances, the outcome was tragic.

Capt. Picky

Houndoc

RockMonkey said:
It's always been permitted as far as I know. I've driven across both sides many times. Why is that bad PR, Houndoc?

Well, my thoughts go like this....it leads no where, it is a beautiful natural span, has no particular off-road challange, so what is the point? I think staying off natural spans (although no damage is going to be done) is a simple thing to show respect for the land and will help the overall opinion of us and what we do in the minds of others.