gemini bridges?

JIM

85cj7
Supporting Member
The Gemini Bridges are a great place for a wedding. If Capt.Picky remembers
right a good friend of ours Mark married Cody on the Bridge and Then we all went back to town for a party . It was 1993 a lot us drove across that day.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
84toy said:
A buddy of mine I wheel with work's at park city towing.I believe it was one of the owner's son.From what I was told "the jeep's rear was pretty close to the edge and as They were getting ready to leave it was still in reverse when he fired it up forgot to change gear and backed off".
They have the picture's of the jeep after it happened hanging on thier office wall,they are not pretty,I could'nt even imagine.They had to hoist it up the cliff with a wrecker because they could'nt gain access to get it in the bottom.

Hate to correct you but your story's wrong. It was reported in the paper as a "brake failure" but it was a bottle underneath the pedal, a careless mistake. His son knew how to drive and was beyond something as stupid as starting the Jeep while in gear.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
The only possible restriction I know of concerning driving across the bridges is the fact that it is illegal to climb or otherwise physically be on any feature that is named on a USGS map, which would make it technically illegal to even walk across if they are named on the map. Since I don't have my maps handy right now I couldn't tell you if Gemini Bridges is a named feature or not. But I would tend to agree with what someone else said, PR wise I would be against driving across the bridges.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Rick B said:
The only possible restriction I know of concerning driving across the bridges is the fact that it is illegal to climb or otherwise physically be on any feature that is named on a USGS map, which would make it technically illegal to even walk across if they are named on the map. Since I don't have my maps handy right now I couldn't tell you if Gemini Bridges is a named feature or not. But I would tend to agree with what someone else said, PR wise I would be against driving across the bridges.

I would like to see that regulation in print. Never heard of it. There are numerous named arches that you can walk across even in the national parks and monuments. You can walk across all of the bridges in National Bridges National Monument as well as Mussel Man’s Arch in Canyonlands just to name a few. All these are named on maps. Gemini is as well.
Like I said If the resource advisor for the Moab BLM office said it was OK to drive on the bridges then who are we to argue. Russ’s number is 259- 2118 if you care to give him a call.
Todd

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have some pics of the Jeep lying at the bottom as well as the wreckers lifting it... we rolled a day or so after it happened. Really tragic... :(

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
cruiseroutfit said:
I have some pics of the Jeep lying at the bottom as well as the wreckers lifting it... we rolled a day or so after it happened. Really tragic... :(

Don't suppose you could post them? I hope it doesn't sound morbid but I'd like to see what was left of the Jeep afterwards.

O'neal

?????????
RedRock5.9 said:
Hate to correct you but your story's wrong. It was reported in the paper as a "brake failure" but it was a bottle underneath the pedal, a careless mistake. His son knew how to drive and was beyond something as stupid as starting the Jeep while in gear.

Sorry....that's what I was told.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Rick B said:

I quizzed a friend at the BLM about your comment. The response was:

"If that comment was true you'd never be able to go anywhere. Hiking would cease to exist. The BLM in Moab may have restrictions about driving across gemini bridges but it has nothing to do with it being a feature on a map."

so I don't think you will see that in print, seems to be too loose of a concept to make into a regulation.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
How do you get a vehicle onto gemini bridges and not leave the trail at the same time?? Sounds like if you take a bypass, or pull wide on the trail to let others pass and you are in risk of getting reamed. Drive cross country to get onto the bridge and you take photos becuase it is neat. Am I missing information here or is this a double standard?

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
Well it used to be printed on most USFS & BLM travel maps, may still be I don't have any available right now to check. If you ever looked closely at a USGS topo map you'll notice that very very few features are actually named. Arches are mostly called "Natural Arch" for example, if they are even marked at all, most arches aren't even marked on USGS maps.

I really love it when someone says that their friend of a friend who works for some government agency claims it isn't so. That's about as reliable as using any information obtained on the internet bulletin boards as fact. If you want to know the legality of something go directly to the source, in this case a BLM law enforcement officer from the Moab district or someone in a position of authority at the Moab BLM office.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
had to get in the WAY-BACK machine for this one.... what is this part called? Or is this the bridge?

Last edited: