Getting healthier in 2020. Who's in?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
clean foods

This is one of the most important things here. A LOT of "fat" is actually just toxins from things we eat that the body doesn't know what to do with. So it stores it in the fat. This also a big reason when people start to detox from this they feel horrible for a while.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg man... many common foods entice certain types of bacteria / fungi to grow in our digestive systems that cause us to keep craving these types of things while it eats up the nutrients and spouts more toxins causing you to always feel hungry.

shortstraw8

I started a health journey in August. Currently down 30lbs, been doing crossfit since December and actually really like it. Finished a full Murph on memorial day and recorded the best mile time I have ever run @8:50

Diets do suck my wife and I decided, it really just needs to be a lifestyle change. It is hard to adjust to, and I still eat like crap sometimes but at least it is not everyday. I find that when I track myself through myfitness pal I tend to eat better because you can see when you are eating like a fatty. The more we have been going to the gym we have been trying to get more dialed in, Precision Nutrition is a good free source too.

I did "one meal a day for a while", but it evolved into a much easier for me "time based fasting" where I only eat during an 8hr window. I have fallen off that due to the covid and working from home, but still keeping it in good portion sizes and not overeating. I have struggled with weight my whole life and finally feel like I am making good progress.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have been spending waaay too many hours in front of a computer with only Mountain Dew and candy bars to make me happy. I lost all my progress, plus some. I just didn't have the motivation to do something. I finally started back on my 'Bacon and (diet) Mountain Dew diet' at the first of this month. I am now just 5lbs more than my low point, and feel pretty good. I really would like to add some cardio work in as well, but I am so thin on time right now it's difficult.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have been spending waaay too many hours in front of a computer with only Mountain Dew and candy bars to make me happy. I lost all my progress, plus some. I just didn't have the motivation to do something. I finally started back on my 'Bacon and (diet) Mountain Dew diet' at the first of this month. I am now just 5lbs more than my low point, and feel pretty good. I really would like to add some cardio work in as well, but I am so thin on time right now it's difficult.
Text me any time and we can go ride mtn bikes. It's like cardio but on dirt bikes:rofl:

rholbrook

I thought I would post my progress. I started 2 months ago and weighed in at a 267 lbs of pulsating passion naked on my bathroom scale. I accepted a challenge from my three kids whom I believe just want me around to continue to stay on my payroll in one form or another. Healthy eating and mostly PORTION CONTROL I am now at a much healthier 237 lbs and still going strong. My goal is the get to 207 which is crazy for me because I my OCD won’t let me stop the gas pump at a number that has cents on it let along an odd number so that’s why I chose 207 lbs. I will have to end up at either 210 or 200 lbs.

My pants are falling off me and my blood pressure has come down as well as other health issues I have been dealing with are getting back to normal ranges, things which I don’t normally share but it’s time to try to get healthy.
I bought my grandson a new dirt bike and rewarded myself with one as well. I can’t wait to ride with him and share all those things that a papa and his grandson should do

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I thought I would post my progress. I started 2 months ago and weighed in at a 267 lbs of pulsating passion naked on my bathroom scale. I accepted a challenge from my three kids whom I believe just want me around to continue to stay on my payroll in one form or another. Healthy eating and mostly PORTION CONTROL I am now at a much healthier 237 lbs and still going strong. My goal is the get to 207 which is crazy for me because I my OCD won’t let me stop the gas pump at a number that has cents on it let along an odd number so that’s why I chose 207 lbs. I will have to end up at either 210 or 200 lbs.

My pants are falling off me and my blood pressure has come down as well as other health issues I have been dealing with are getting back to normal ranges, things which I don’t normally share but it’s time to try to get healthy.
I bought my grandson a new dirt bike and rewarded myself with one as well. I can’t wait to ride with him and share all those things that a papa and his grandson should do
That is fantastic Russ. Nice work! I'll bet you are WAY faster on a bike at your new weight too. Gotta keep things in perspective right.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I did "one meal a day for a while", but it evolved into a much easier for me "time based fasting" where I only eat during an 8hr window.

This is where I'm at. I tried keto for a couple years, I liked it a lot and had some initial success, but I was off and on because I couldn't afford to eat the way I wanted to and I couldn't stay on keto eating the way I can afford :rofl:. I tried OMAD on and off keto, and I can stay OMAD if I'm keto but otherwise the energy swings from carbs were screwing me up. I'm having better luck with IF 8/16. If I can stick with it another month I'm going to start slicing hours off my window and see how small I can get it and still maintain it. I'd be happy with 5/19. I'm at 280 now, I told myself when I hit 250 it'll be New Bike Day. The wife won't like that, but she'll probably like me not dying of hypertension or whatever before I retire, so she'll come around.

I'm not getting much exercise. I dislocated a shoulder a couple years ago and it's come back to haunt me. I'm waiting for the results of an MRI, but the doc thinks it's a torn rotator cuff. Whatever it is, it hurts to ride, it hurts to work on the truck or in the yard, when it's really sore it even hurts to walk which is just stupid. I'm sure whatever fitness I had is rapidly disappearing.

4x4_Welder

For my 40th birthday I crossed 240lbs. The medications they have me on make me gain weight and pour sweat with the lightest exertion, but I really need to get back down a bit. A few weeks ago, I made one of the hardest sacrifices in my weight loss: No more Mountain Dew. I had been drinking four or five cans of the throwback stuff every day, but I switched to the Mio energy stuff for my caffeine. So far I've lost six pounds, from my peak of 243 back to 237. I'd like to get back to about 210. I was down to 200 during chemo, but I want to set a bit of a realistic goal for now.

Tonkaman

Holy carp Russ!! That’s huge progress! Good for you buddy

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I lost 20 lbs of stress weight on Dec and Jan. Then gained it all back since March with feel sorry for myself eating.

More realistically, just convenience eating. Working 12 hour days 7 days a week and not getting paid makes it difficult to plan or acquire healthier foods. Probably just a cheap excuse.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I lost 20 lbs of stress weight on Dec and Jan. Then gained it all back since March with feel sorry for myself eating.

More realistically, just convenience eating. Working 12 hour days 7 days a week and not getting paid makes it difficult to plan or acquire healthier foods. Probably just a cheap excuse.

You're just taste testing all the delicious new menu items coming out of your awesome brewery and feeling guilty about the weight gain.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have not done a lot of biking this year and I normally maintain my weight with output since I suck at input control. I started picking up the miles this month and I'm down to 210 which isn't much progress, I came out of winter at 218 but I am less fat.

The big deal news weight wise in my life is my wife. She has lost 65lbs since January, which is WAY better than me losing weight and looking better without clothes on:D

She started hiking this year on her lunch and has been almost every day on the bench above PG. She looks better, she feels better and she is way more calm and we don't even argue anymore. I'm not sure what to do with such amazing luck but I'm pretty happy with this portion of 2020.
Here she is with her newly finished toy.
IMG_20200830_185246_514.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm down 10 lbs from my 11 weeks of recovery laying on my back... After those two back surgeries this year I'm glad to be walking.

However I'm impatient and my fitness feels like a yoyo because everytime my back feels better I go back to normal (too much) activities and then it hurts and I can't play and I feel a little sorry for myself and my fitness goes down. I guess I need to get my endorphins from light hiking and gentle bike rides with my kids until I'm 100%.

"Health is never owned. It is rented. And the rent is due every day."

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Well, 2020 did not go as planned when I started this thread. A lot more computer work than anticipated, along with the ‘Covid do-nothing’s’ resulted in minimal overall progress. I put on a bit of weight, and then lost is back. I was feeling pretty good about where I was at after losing.. until I re-read this thread and realized I’m almost net zero change.
My wife has really kicked butt this year. She wanted to try high fitness classes. I scoffed knowing it would last a week or two. Turns out she was pretty good at them until they got shut down. She switched to weights and cardio machines and has been going 5-6 days a week consistently for a full year now. Big progress for her. Not a lot of weight loss, but a lot of the typical women pudge areas are gone, and her muscles have increased greatly. Very proud of her.

I have learned that I am very happy, feel very good, and lose a lot of weight (almost a pound a day) when I eat mostly bacon for breakfast and lunch, and a light dinner of whatever is cooked at home. If I give into eating snacks at all, then I typically finish off whatever it is, not matter how much is left. The sugars make me sick, and I put on a couple pounds. It’s fun to be at a place where My body rejects junk food.. but my brain always forgets and I still do it sometimes. I have had the same 24 pack of dew at home since before Halloween. I have had a few from the gas station, but for the most part I have switched to a handful of water bottles every day.
I am going to take a personal mulligan for 2020.
I’m going to pretend that this whole thread was just gearing me up for 2021 ;)

Interesting to see your experience. I'm not on a diet per se, but I have taken to growing, preparing, cooking, and eating more vegetables this year. I've really gotten into Jamie Oliver's ultimate veg series on PBS. I love finding new flavors and textures I can make without meat. Before you guys break out the noose, I love meat as much as the next guy. I love to smoke stuff and I love a good steak or bacon. I also love trying new and different things. Of the new things I've tried, I've hit about 50/50 keeper vs not interested in trying that again. Of the things I'm adjusting or not trying again, they weren't bad, but I'm only interested in spending time on things that I get excited about.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My wife kicked butt this year. F45 was a game changer for her and after having our third boy in March she's down 30+ lbs and she wasn't heavy even in pregnancy. She's grinding 6 days a week and it shows.

I'm glad to be back within 5-10lbs of my weight in 2019 and returning to my 2019 speed and fitness on the moto after my 2 back surgeries and a 3/4 cancelled race season in 2020. It was hard to have motivation to get on the bike and grind out race practice when there was no racing and a new infant at home. But MTB for fun filled a spot for me and I picked up a BMX I'm going to try to race indoors.

Recently I gave up 90% of soda and that's a big deal.
We still don't eat as well as we should and I think if we can get that rolling it'll make a big difference.

I've got a back injection in 2 weeks and hope the pain drop will get me moving with a low enough pain level to get rocking in the gym.

2021 Strong my dudes.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
WTH happened, our wives are all rocking. My wife is down 70lbs this year and looks better than when we met 16 years ago. I on the other hand, rode my moto and mtb less this year than previous years and it's showing in both my energy and my physical performance. Eff 2020. First desert race of 2021 is 30 days away. The time for action is now.