Good Place to live in Utah? Layton, Ogden, Farmington areas

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I just got a job offer. The offer is in SLC. So i should be starting in 2-3 weeks.:D I know, I know twist my arm.

I have a good friend that lives in Layton, and i like that area. Where is the cheaper housing, I want to save up some cash for a house.

I'm so excited I'm just about ready to throw everything in the garbage and move now.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
You might want to look at how long your commute will be first. All three have great areas. I live in North Ogden. A SLC commute is a little rough. Tooele has some great areas also. The commute time there will be about the same. Look also into schools, if you have children, rent, then buy later. Just my .02 cents worth.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
You might want to look at how long your commute will be first. All three have great areas. I live in North Ogden. A SLC commute is a little rough. Tooele has some great areas also. The commute time there will be about the same. Look also into schools, if you have children, rent, then buy later. Just my .02 cents worth.

I think with the commute I wouldn't live much further north than Kaysville. If work is somewhere off of 215, legacy Hwy is a great alternative to I-15.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Sell you my place in Magna. ~20 min commute to downtown. I drive it every weekday, easy commute. Great neighborhood too. :)

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Great. I'm going to look around those areas as well. so damn excited to see some mountains, eat good food, have some warmer weather, and get better pay!

Screw this over priced flat piece of crap land they call North Dakota. I'm so over it.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Magna gets a bad rap, but it's crazy close to 201 and has dirt cheap home prices. I do my commuting at midnight and it takes me longer to get from the 600 south offramp to my office than it takes me to get from home to 600 south. Fifteen minutes total.

blznnp

I'm in west Jordan right off hwy 111. Doesn't take me much time to get into SLC, helps that I just hop on 111 then shoot up through magna an hop on the 201. I really like the area.

ZUKEYPR

Work in SLC and half our staff lives to the north (Kaysville, Layton, Ogden, West Point, Syracuse. They all like it until the winter hits or there is a wreck on the free way, to far of a commute. Traffic sucks in Salt Lake, not like LA sucks, but getting there. I live on the West Jordan/South Jordan line 12.5 miles from work. I get there in 20 minutes. Zero crime

brandonlmb

brandonlmb
I'm in Farmington. If I was in your shoes I would check out the Davis County area. I grew up in West Jordan it was good but traffic sucks on and off the freeways.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The company is located in Midvale. East side of the interstate.

I'll look into UTA. I heard you can ride it free if you are a student. I was going to work on my Bachelors part time through Arizona State.

Tonkaman

The company is located in Midvale. East side of the interstate.

I'll look into UTA. I heard you can ride it free if you are a student. I was going to work on my Bachelors part time through Arizona State.

They call it free but really it's just part of that rising tuition cost... If you are working in midvale I would not consider anything further north of Farmington. Traffic headed north at rush hour is pretty crazy, and any single incident can stop you from getting home for hours

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Pardon the obvious...but why wouldn't you want to live as close to work as possible? Working in Midvale means you can live pretty much anywhere in the Salt Lake Valley and be just minutes from work. Screw a commute! People waste too much of their lives driving to and from work! Why not live in Midvale and walk to work?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
They are giving me the option to work the hours I want. I usually go into work around 6.00 AM and head home around 4.00 PM. And I usually take Fridays off. How bad is traffic around those times. I'm going to have to buy a beater car, I'm not going to be driving my Range Rover as a commuter. I'd be broke since its getting 14mpg currently. :rofl:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
WALK? What the hell is that. LOL. I kind of like it up north of Salt Lake. I'm sure either would be fine though

Pardon the obvious...but why wouldn't you want to live as close to work as possible? Working in Midvale means you can live pretty much anywhere in the Salt Lake Valley and be just minutes from work. Screw a commute! People waste too much of their lives driving to and from work! Why not live in Midvale and walk to work?

Tonkaman

I think 4 to 5 is the busiest time to commute north out of SLC. I would recommend renting in an area that you think you want to live, and see if you can handle the commute before buying.

I really wanted to live in Farmington but after commuting into bountiful for a year I realized it was too expensive and frustrating to be worth it