Good Place to live in Utah? Layton, Ogden, Farmington areas

smartass_kid

those hours on I-15 will be ok, you could also buy a pass to use the HOV lane.
if you're interested in being closer to work look south/west at draper, riverton, west jordan or sandy to the east. depending on where your office is also cottonwood heights/holladay, then take the 215. It's very rarely backed up except during rush hours to get onto I-15.

rholbrook

Your all a bunch of wussies. Go live in Southern California and spend an hour on the highway to go 10 miles. I currently commute about 20 feet and love it but in my previous life, I commuted to SLC and found it long on those 4 snow storms a year or an occasional crash. I would much rather live north than south because of the shear number of people south.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Wow, people are really getting wimpy, I would much rather make a longer commute from a nicer area than a short commute from an "okay" area. Sure, you might save a few minutes and a few dollars living closer to the central valley, but dealing with that same heavy traffic and noise even on your days off is just not worth it. Davis county has some great homes with very quiet streets, not to mention better appreciation than many parts of the state, let's just say that when we sell our house we will likely have enough equity after only 4 years of ownership to pay cash for our 1-2 acre building lot in the Morgan area. Yes, we plan to be even further out of the valley, but more for my health and sanity than anything else. Also take note that Davis County is very close to some great fishing and hunting.

Houndoc

I would agree with anywhere in Davis County being nice places to live (grew up on North Salt Lake) but traffic can be bad, as can the southern half the valley. Magna has some nice areas (have a staff member with home there for sale if you are interested). If working in Midvale, the southwest part of the valley (Herriman) may not be too bad, but traffic at times a problem. Tooele Valley is nice, but I don't want you to move there and add to my commute!

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I think 4 to 5 is the busiest time to commute north out of SLC. I would recommend renting in an area that you think you want to live, and see if you can handle the commute before buying.

I really wanted to live in Farmington but after commuting into bountiful for a year I realized it was too expensive and frustrating to be worth it

Am I reading this correctly? The drive from Farmington to Bountiful was too far?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Wouldn't the fuel costs of commuting negate the savings realized by living 45 minutes away from work? Wouldn't you rather spend that 1.5 hours per day with your family or reading or building a 4x4 or something else?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I live in Kaysville, and it takes me 25 minutes to get to work 25 miles away 95% of the time I commute. I get to work between 8 and 8:30 in the morning, and I leave between 5 and 6 pm. The longest it takes to get home from Salt Lake is 35 minutes on heavy days. If there is a storm or wreck, yes it takes longer, but in the long run it is worth it to me.
When I moved back to Utah 2 years ago, I drove south, east, and west from my office before buying my house up north. There is ALWAYS traffic going south. One wreck on the freeway south and it is backed up for hours! Traffic is traffic. Deal with it and live where you want to live. I personally like living away from the crowds. I get that up North.
My advice: Make the drive to wherever you are thinking of living during the hours you will be making that drive before and after work and see how bad it is. Don't rush into buying until you have a great idea as to what you can get for the money, what the commute will cost, how long it will take, what the schools and neighborhoods are like, and you feel is the best fit for your family. Davis county has some of the best people (not dissing any other areas, just stating what I have experienced) in the state, great neighborhoods, and fantastic schools. It all comes down to your preference and your family. I love how close I am to Snow Basin, the Uintah's, and other areas I like to recreate. If I were to do it again, my personal preference would be further from people and into the Mountains. But as it is, I am not more than 30 to 45 minutes from my house to less crowded areas in the Mountains and I can recharge again.
Good luck and happy house hunting!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Man some of you act like it's a ghetto in the valley I live in an exceptional area in West Jordan, super quit, no crime, and tracks is 2.5 miles away that can take me anywhere for free (government)

Yeah I don't quite understand the logic either. I live in downtown SLC and have never had anything stolen, never been harassed, never had to deal with crowds or traffic. I am annoyed when I have to get on the freeway to run an errand outside of downtown or drive to work. Time is my most precious commodity and spending it in a car driving back and forth every day sounds like absolute hell.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've never cared for Davis county but I won't say Salt Lake County is the only place worth living either.
My house in West Jordan had about a 30 minute commute into SLC. It was not bad and it was worth it for living in an area I love.
That being said, my new place in CO is maybe 6 minutes tops from my work. Less time driving, more time enjoying life like said above.

Tonkaman

[/B]

Am I reading this correctly? The drive from Farmington to Bountiful was too far?

No let me clarify. I was commuting from various job sites in SLC valley to bountiful. I said I wouldn't recommend moving further north than Farmington. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in Heber and would make that commute any day! I just don't think Davis county is worth a commute that's all

blznnp

Man some of you act like it's a ghetto in the valley I live in an exceptional area in West Jordan, super quit, no crime, and tracks is 2.5 miles away that can take me anywhere for free (government)
sounds like your only a few miles away form me, we really like it out here in West Jordan, were we are at reminds us of where our house in WA is. Far enough way to get away from the "city" atmosphere and have a quite area to live in but close enough that its not that bad of a commute to get to anywhere. Would be nice to live a little closer, we are as far west as you can get in West Jordan, but its not that big of a deal to us. In WA a 30min. commute wasn't bad at all, I would have a 2 hour commute depending on where the job site was but I got paid to drive to it, but it seems a lot of people here in utah don't seem to like that type of commute.

Midvale? I work in Midvale too. I love living in Draper (6 mile commute), but I think you can find nice neighborhoods all over, and you'll be close to the freeways (that's half the battle). I'm 12 minutes from my home in Draper and 35 minutes from my cabin near Wanship.

More important to me are the schools and who my kids are playing with and growing up with.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Well we are going to be looking at houses today. Should be there in 8 hours. Hoping to put something on contract today. I have to head back tomorrow morning.

Nothing like spending 36 hours in the car for my weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Jeepj667

If your up for a lot of house repair/remodeling, Copperton is an awesome town to live in. Small town community, close to the city. If you don't know Copperton is just west of West Jordan.

blznnp

If your up for a lot of house repair/remodeling, Copperton is an awesome town to live in. Small town community, close to the city. If you don't know Copperton is just west of West Jordan.

I think copperton would be a good place to live. I like the feel of the town when we take the youth from church over to the park.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I put an offer in on a house in Layton. I really like the town. My good friend lives about .25 miles from where we put an offer in. We should hear today if it works out. I'm gong to be on the lookout for a cheap car to drive to work for the next year.

The plan was to work for a company for a year or two and while i'm at it, start a business up. So I can probably endure the trip 4 days a week. i'll just work 4-10 hour days and call it good. i figure if i leave at 6.00 in the morning and head home around 4.00 pm, it won't be as horrible.

Houndoc

Wouldn't the fuel costs of commuting negate the savings realized by living 45 minutes away from work? Wouldn't you rather spend that 1.5 hours per day with your family or reading or building a 4x4 or something else?

Very important to remember! I spend around $300/month on fuel for my commute.