Helicopter Pilot????

devilbikerdude

ok so iv been thinking alot about which direction i want to take my carrer path, and i been thinkin ALOT about becoming a helicopter pilot but i want to learn more about it and what it requirs, im not sure which way i want to go either search and rescue, heli tours or maybe private pilot.. so if anyone knows a plilot and that person is cool and would be willing to chat a little with me please inform me.. thanks alot guys:)

utahxjer

ok so iv been thinking alot about which direction i want to take my carrer path, and i been thinkin ALOT about becoming a helicopter pilot but i want to learn more about it and what it requirs, im not sure which way i want to go either search and rescue, heli tours or maybe private pilot.. so if anyone knows a plilot and that person is cool and would be willing to chat a little with me please inform me.. thanks alot guys:)

I thought about it too (still think about it actually), it would be a sweet career. My only downfall was the money, seemed like a commercial pilots license would end up being around 30K

Brad J

They have Flight school by my house both Plane and Helicopter. I just got a flyer for the plane school that says they finance so no payments till your training is done. Only a few hours a week. In 3 years you could be a captain and earn $50k+. Every grduate has been hired (web site says 90% though). First flight free. I don't know the name or # for the Helicopter flight school though.

http://www.gandbflightacademy.com/

They're # is 397-2324

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Something to think about, you are going to be competing for jobs with people that have had more training and more experience then you can ever pay for!!
It is hard to compete with pilots that have military/combat experience.

I looked seriously (very seriously) into this. Particulary Silver States. It's a lot more than $30k, more in the area of $54,000 (according to my cousin who just completed the course) for the two year course. I was told $30,000 in a lot of places but they're leaving things out. Then you can get a job as an instructor which pays sucky (but I still think it would be sweet). Then you build your hours and hopefully get a real job, and if you do, you make bank. My cousin just completed his course and now is an instructor, however the only openings were in Idaho so he moved there for a $30k a year job. He's been there for a year and a half now. He's still very optimistic about it and loves it but he had the money to spend, 54k is too much for me to pledge to a hope.
So talking to him it sounded great. Sounds like fun, talking to the instructors they all told me the same thing. Vets are being forced to retire leaving a large demand for commercial helicopter pilots so soon as you get out you're sure to be making big bucks and hanging out with hot babes and celebrities. However, I talked to two friends of mine who privately own and fly helicopters and both of them told me the market was saturated with pilots looking for jobs with all the helicopter schools opening up.
Anyway, I can try to get you my cousins number. I'm sure he'd be glad to talk to you about it. As for the other two pilots, I'm not sure when I'll see them next. One is my ex's dad, he owns and flies his own just for the fun of it. The other guy is one I know from my home ward who bought a few helicopters as a business venture and did some avalanche control with them, and even thought about estabolishing a flight school.

devilbikerdude

I looked seriously (very seriously) into this. Particulary Silver States. It's a lot more than $30k, more in the area of $54,000 (according to my cousin who just completed the course) for the two year course. I was told $30,000 in a lot of places but they're leaving things out. Then you can get a job as an instructor which pays sucky (but I still think it would be sweet). Then you build your hours and hopefully get a real job, and if you do, you make bank. My cousin just completed his course and now is an instructor, however the only openings were in Idaho so he moved there for a $30k a year job. He's been there for a year and a half now. He's still very optimistic about it and loves it but he had the money to spend, 54k is too much for me to pledge to a hope.
So talking to him it sounded great. Sounds like fun, talking to the instructors they all told me the same thing. Vets are being forced to retire leaving a large demand for commercial helicopter pilots so soon as you get out you're sure to be making big bucks and hanging out with hot babes and celebrities. However, I talked to two friends of mine who privately own and fly helicopters and both of them told me the market was saturated with pilots looking for jobs with all the helicopter schools opening up.
Anyway, I can try to get you my cousins number. I'm sure he'd be glad to talk to you about it. As for the other two pilots, I'm not sure when I'll see them next. One is my ex's dad, he owns and flies his own just for the fun of it. The other guy is one I know from my home ward who bought a few helicopters as a business venture and did some avalanche control with them, and even thought about estabolishing a flight school.

oh man thank you sooo much!!!! i have also been considering sliver states, you may have just started me on my new carrer path (you must feel good:D ) i would love to chat with your cousin, tell him im a good guy ( cuz i am:) ) or you can give him my e-mail address which is evanfloodman@hotmail.com if that works better for him, once again thankyou sooo much man, i owe ya one..

Bart

Maybe along those lines, how about a commercial plane pilot? Schooling is cheaper. UVSC has a great program. You get your private, then IFR, then Commercial, then multi engine. You can get your instructors permit after Commercial, and earn flight hours while teaching. Pretty good placement program. Pay starts out around $30, but increases quickly. Within 10 years you should be in 6 figures, if you're a good pilot.

I wish I was younger, I'd be heading this way.

devilbikerdude

Maybe along those lines, how about a commercial plane pilot? Schooling is cheaper. UVSC has a great program. You get your private, then IFR, then Commercial, then multi engine. You can get your instructors permit after Commercial, and earn flight hours while teaching. Pretty good placement program. Pay starts out around $30, but increases quickly. Within 10 years you should be in 6 figures, if you're a good pilot.

I wish I was younger, I'd be heading this way.

well i thank you for your advice, and being a commercial plane pilot would be fun and very interesting but im not sure if i have what it takes???? and i hear you have to have a 4 year dergree and im almost postive i couldnt get thru college. but its still a good choice to think about, thanks man

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
The best and easiest way to get started would be through the military.

Whats your vision like? Last time I heard they required 20/20 uncorrected vision.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The best and easiest way to get started would be through the military.

Whats your vision like? Last time I heard they required 20/20 uncorrected vision.

Not anymore, if the military is going to train you to fly they aren't going to let out out 4-6 yrs later to go make $300k/yr working for Delta. They have a load of time & money into their pilots, so they will only train a pilot who is planning on making a career out of the military.

I attended the UVSC Pilot program, it's very good as Bart mentioned. I was in my 2nd semester when the attacks on the WTC happened, which of course sent airlines & airline jobs down the crapper. I nearly joined the Air Nat. Guard in order to get some flight experience, but after talking to the recruiter multiple times I learned that the closest I'd get to a plane was to fuel it up. :rolleyes:

As others mentioned, the initial cost will not be your actual final cost. Learning to fly is expensive, you have to pay for the plane (or helicopter), it's fuel, the instructors time, the classes, etc, etc. If you can't pass one of the certifications, you get to pay for it all again. If there's something you can't pick up, you'll have to practice, practice, practice... an pay, pay, pay!

Good luck with the decision, if you do decide it's something you want to do, go for it. But be committed & stay committed. And expect to pay for good training.

StrobeNGH

no user title
What is the job market for helicopter pilots in Utah?

I'd look into where the demand is, and move there.

For instance, there is a much higher demand for pilots in Alaska, than there is in Utah . . . especially in the pan-handles.

rondo

rondo
Not anymore, if the military is going to train you to fly they aren't going to let out out 4-6 yrs later to go make $300k/yr working for Delta. They have a load of time & money into their pilots, so they will only train a pilot who is planning on making a career out of the military.

Not true, sorry. Where did you hear that? All officers have a basic military service obligation and after that they are free to go! The military is a great way to be a pilot. I can help anyone become a pilot that meets age requirements, is in college, good GPA etc. Understand that those selected to be pilots are among the best though. I can hook a guy up to talk to 4 of my students who will be pilots.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not true, sorry. Where did you hear that? All officers have a basic military service obligation and after that they are free to go! The military is a great way to be a pilot. I can help anyone become a pilot that meets age requirements, is in college, good GPA etc. Understand that those selected to be pilots are among the best though. I can hook a guy up to talk to 4 of my students who will be pilots.

I was told that was the policy by an Air National Guard recruiter. The way she presented it, she made it sound like that what you're talking about was the old way & they don't run the avation side like that anymore. The only way they'd train someone to fly was with a 20-something year commitment to the ANG. She knew I was in UVSC's pilot program & training to get my pilots license. So what exactally do you do? How do you know this?

I never trusted the recruiter, everything she said had some truth to it, but most of the info wasn't as rosey as it was presented, there was always some hidden agenda. Hence why I never joined the ANG and at this point, I'm glad I didn't.

rondo

rondo
Hmm, I can't speak for the Air Force. I'm with the US Army and we assess students into Army aviation; helos of all types. Service obligation is 3-4 years. Scholarships are out there.

BTW Recruiters are like used car salesmen haha The world needs them but it boils down to the person to weigh their options and make informed decisions.

I'm not a recruiter but anyone who is leaning toward Army aviation can PM me for more info and I can get them to the person with all the answers.

frankenfab

I was an Army Pilot, AH-1F Cobras. When I got out in '98, I had 680 hours of flight time. I have a commercial pilots license with instrument rating. No one would hire me with less than 2,000 hours. Flight time cost $185 an hour last time I checked. I worked as an auto mechanic for 6 years, until I landed my current job, Federal Aviation Administration.