Hole in the Rock trail - March

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'll give it a shot...

got it, but for some reason, the last destination is left off when I embed the map so I just added an extra endpoint

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I found a few videos of the trail over on Expedition Utah:

[youtube]ZVmBzG-KgpY[/youtube]

[youtube]en0xPRVt5qs[/youtube]

[youtube]o-xFEDp1364[/youtube]

[youtube]eSwNGRRkw3E[/youtube]

sixstringsteve

I hope everyone's got their CB installed. If you're unsure what to get for a CB, there are lots of great options, but I have had great experiences with a Uniden 510xl (or 520XL, both are good) and a k30 magnetic mount antenna. Both are available at the larger Flying J's and the entire setup will cost less than $100.

Last edited:

4biker

I found a possible side trip for the way back. Exchanges a 20 min/ 20 mile segment of highway for a ~3 hr/70 mile back road run...

That sounds like a great road, especially while we're already down that way. I'll be up for it depending on how tired and rushed we are to get back home on Sunday. An extra 3 hours in the car at the end of the trip might push my mood-o-meter past where my wife likes it by the time we hit Spanish Fork Canyon

WillyLin

I hope everyone's got their CB installed. If you're unsure what to get for a CB, there are lots of great options, but I have had great experiences with a Uniden 510xl (or 520XL, both are good) and a k30 magnetic mount antenna. Both are available at the larger Flying J's and the entire setup will cost less than $100.
I picked up an used 510xl from KSL for only $15... I used the magnetic mount antenna for now and it works fine, But im not sure if people can hear I speak yet... haven't tested it yet.

I so want to go on this trip.. I don't know if I will be able to tho... have to figure out soon... :(

sixstringsteve

My wife and I have read it. But that was when it first came out. Lund is not my favorite, but I did like the history.
He try's to hard to make it "romantic". But that's what sells.

I'm on page 400 now, halfway through. The read is entertaining enough, but I totally agree with you about it being a bit too romaticized. However, I like a bit of romance and I suppose it keeps me motivated to continue reading. There are parts that are a bit over the top, but I need to remember his target audience.

I was wrong in my initial statement that it didn't have many religious themes. I don't feel that it's "preachy" but the topics of God, prayer, faith, etc come up a lot. Definitely not a reason to shy away from the book, just know what to expect. Given the nature of the trek and the motives behind the journey, it would not do the story justice to omit the religious parts. I'd be curious to hear the perspective a reader who isn't a Mormon to see if the religious themes were difficult to read or not.

This book is really helping me gain an appreciation for the people who traveled the trail. I feel a strange connection to them, and I'm sure the book is helping with that. I'll have to do some family history and see if I had any relatives in the party. This book is my first introduction to Utah history for me, I'm pretty unfamiliar with that time period in this great country. I think I'd actually enjoy a Utah history class at a JC sometime.

It's amazing how many conversations this trip has started. i've made friendships and contacts that I never would have thought possible. Word has gotten out in my neighborhood that I'm going on this trip, and people are coming out of the woodwork to tell me that their great great grandparents were part of the party. They're surprised to see a young(ish) guy like me interested in the history of their ancestors. They have recommended a handful of other books for further reading that I will get to once I complete this book. I have a feeling I'll be guiding a few family history treks for them on the trail some day so they can experience the trail for themselves. I thought it interesting to see this story bringing people together in a modern day. It's amazing how much my neighbors know about the story.

I feel like the expedition crew, scrambling to get everything ready for the trip before I go. I do feel like I'm living a modern version of the story, although I have different motives for going on the trek. :D

Last edited:

4biker

I feel like the expedition crew, scrambling to get everything ready for the trip before I go. I do feel like I'm living a modern version of the story, although I have different motives for going on the trek. :D

It's amazing how many conversations this trip has started. i've made friendships and contacts that I never would have thought possible. Word has gotten out in my neighborhood that I'm going on this trip, and people are coming out of the woodwork to tell me that their great great grandparents were part of the party. They're surprised to see a young(ish) guy like me interested in the history of their ancestors. They have recommended a handful of other books for further reading that I will get to once I complete this book. I have a feeling I'll be taking them up there soon so they can experience the trail for themselves. I thought it interesting to see this story bringing people together in a modern day. It's amazing how much my neighbors know about the story.

That's an incredible thing about this trip - thanks for sharing that. The Venture scouts that I work with (Boy Scouts aged 16-18) did a service trip last year to Bluff, which is the town that the Hole In The Rock party founded after their trek. They went down to that little place (which is inhabited by Native Americans now) and sheetrocked homes as well as some other projects. I've actually got a couple of them that want to come now, since I have a couple of extra seats in the 4Runner.

http://www.bluffutah.org/history.htm

As far as my rig's coming, I think I may hold of on the re-gear for now. If I do hold off, I may be able to pick up a stout tranny skid (I've heard the t-cases are pretty robust, right?) and hopefully a CB. I just need to prioritize and time everything.

sixstringsteve

As far as my rig's coming, I think I may hold of on the re-gear for now. If I do hold off, I may be able to pick up a stout tranny skid (I've heard the t-cases are pretty robust, right?) and hopefully a CB. I just need to prioritize and time everything.

See, now you feel like the expedition crew cramming your preparation in at the last minute as well.

That'd be cool if your ventures could come. I have about 4 scouts who would love to come, but I don't have seats for them. That just means I"ll have to plan another trip at a later time for the scouts. Darn ;)

sixstringsteve

I'll be doing a shakedown run on rattlesnake before this trip. I know there are a few of you still working on your rigs to get 'em in shape for this trip. Let me know if you want to join. I'm thinking it'll probably be the 17th.

Coco

Hmmm,

Thought about coming, but not sure. 4runner would need tires, and some other stuff in order for my to trust it being "reliable" REALLY need some tires for it... :-\

sixstringsteve

That's an even better solution! I'm sure you won't regret coming on this trip. It may be a bit of a challenge in your rig, but you like challenges.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I can't handle the days off that close to the jeep safari and the end of the term.

I am sad. I really wanted to go on this trip.