Hoosier's Jeep XJ (Yes another XJ build)

thenag

hoosier

mtn yot
So i have been doing some looking around and all the y-links i have found have bent lowers, do you think it will matter that my lowers are straight?

hoosier

mtn yot
WOW!!! Pushed all the way to page 4, too long without any activity. So not a whole lot going on with it. I picked up a stereo from a buddy (luckly the same model because his had no cords... direct plug in) found that for some reason someone wired the ignition power to the head light switch, i will fix it but nice to have tunes for now. I was going to put in the sub-frame connectors but after cleaning the frame i found that whoever put in the lift bolted then welded the bracket on, so... without being able to get it done in a few hours i will be putting it in the garage and using a buddies welder and going at it at home. Hopefully sooner than later. I have some pics but putting them up on my phone sucks.

hoosier

mtn yot
so i updated my first post to reflect my todo list.

So should I do the waggy axles? I know where I can get a set for cheap. or should I just stay with the 30/44 combo and build them? I am hoping to get the frame sliders and stiffners in this next weekend.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
IMO, waggy 44s aren't much of an upgrade from what you have - you already have a 44 rear, so no real benefit there. Your front axle can be near 44 strength by just adding some stock later model axle shafts (with the bigger 297/760 joints.) I'm likely gonna catch hell for saying this, but I don't think your HP30 gears are much if any weaker than a LP44 in the front. The best part of your stock axles - They are already there and you can go wheeling! I say keep what you have until/unless you plan on running 60s or something of that sort. :)

Bart

I have to x3 the 44 front upgrade. I think the HP30 is one of the most underrated axles out there. I ran one fairly hard with 35s for a long time. Same axle spline and ujoints as the 44.

XJEEPER

Wheeling a D30 like you wheel a D60 = PEZ effect. I've seen Gravy flat-land an XJ with a stock housing D30 more than once.....no bueno. ;>)

A trussed and gusseted D30 with rotated inner C's and 30 Spline alloy shafts has served me well with 33's, should be fine with 35's as well, unless your driving style is based on all throttle, no finesse.

It's also sporting WJ outer knuckles and brakes and high steer for awesome steering and stopping.

I've even flown with it a few times, with ideal landing conditions.

Last edited: