How can we help U4

sixstringsteve

As soon as Jack found out about it, he got excited about it, but that was about 4 days before it was held. I suppose I should have informed them from the beginning, but I didn't really understand U4's role in events like this. Jack is very supportive of future noob runs though, and Tacoma seemed to like the idea as well.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
As soon as Jack found out about it, he got excited about it, but that was about 4 days before it was held. I suppose I should have informed them from the beginning, but I didn't really understand U4's role in events like this. Jack is very supportive of future noob runs though, and Tacoma seemed to like the idea as well.

U4's role, according to their mission statement, would be the ones organizing/funding this type of event.

I love Tacoma, but even he was a last minute confirmed instructor. ;) Damn cripple all hopped up on substances... :greg:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

Tacoma knew about the event a minimum of a month before hand, I messaged him about doing the Tread Lightly class the night we met at Red Rocks. He confirmed a couple days ahead of time. I was prepared to do a Tread Trainer class if needed, he confirmed so I let him run with the ball. If Jack-attack didn't here about it until afterwords then he should consult his leader not ours. Why don't we just get U4's mailing list... word on the street is its open for use :p

As for U4 being involved with noob runs, I'd say that needs to be discussed with not only the organizers but get the blessing from RME as well. Personally if they want to put a vested interested and help with the event then surely we can call it that. Otherwise we will just hand out more Colorado Trail Patrol information like we did the last one. Tacoma (the President mind you), didn't care to bring any U4 stuff... why should we have to beg?

Love you Tacoma, but your acting like one more rung on the ladder my friend. Broken record I know...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

I think it fills a very needed service on RME, I take it for granted that everyone doesn't know how to pick a line, what to air down to, when diff locks are needed, etc. Getting back to the basics and inviting 'newbies' from the forum for some educational, informative and land use friendly advice is one of the best ideas to come out of RME in a few years. It's funny to see how many more new members we're getting that are taking an active role in the forum and at trail rides and events and IMO its the Newbie Runs that are helping that happen.

Showing lurkers & non-registered members that RME is Newbie-friendly and some of the well known members are willing to put together an event just for them is huge. How many other 4x4 forums out there are Newb-friendly? I can think of some that aren't at all... :D

Bringing new blood into our sport, sharing our experience & education with folks that may be new to the scene is the best way to perpetuate what we do and give newbs the tools to be better prepared... it's huge to the growth and support of the 4WD scene.

So Steve.... thank you. :)

sixstringsteve

Thanks Greg, I appreciate the kind words. The noob run wouldn't have happened without Kurt, Stephen, Scott, Mark, and countless others. I'm happy to promote and plan it, and I will continue to do so as long as it is a benefit to the 4x4 community.

I'm convinced that there are lots of people out there who would love to be involved, and who would exercise proper trail etiquette and land use if they only knew what it was. I know it took me way too long to understand these seemingly simple principles, so hopefully we can speed up the process for them.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
It's time for one of these threads again? The best thing anyone can do is get offline and start doing something IRL. Instead of just talking. Search RME, there are dozens of "how to help" and "what can we do for U4" threads.

I have personally invited many people to come to the meetings and help out and only a few have responded. Steve J. is correct there have been many of these threads but this time I see a difference. Steve H. (Sixstring) is a doer and a talker and if he says he will do something it will get done that is if the Noob runs and NPLD are any indications. Thank you Steve H. and hope you bring some doers with you.

By the way I have a meeting at 1 PM with Dave Jeppeson the BLM trails guy and Shelly Smith the acting director (while Juan Palma is out of town) and if any of you want to add something to my agenda let me know.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I have personally invited many people to come to the meetings and help out and only a few have responded. Steve J. is correct there have been many of these threads but this time I see a difference. Steve H. (Sixstring) is a doer and a talker and if he says he will do something it will get done that is if the Noob runs and NPLD are any indications. Thank you Steve H. and hope you bring some doers with you.

By the way I have a meeting at 1 PM with Dave Jeppeson the BLM trails guy and Shelly Smith the acting director (while Juan Palma is out of town) and if any of you want to add something to my agenda let me know.

You see, since there are so many of these threads it SCREAMS that U4 is not doing what it needs to do to let people know what they can or are doing. If these threads keep coming back that means that U4 is not addressing the core problem that is leading to these threads and needs to stop ignoring the people asking the questions and actually fix some issues :)

Lets see U4 DO something instead of just jump on other groups ideas like flies on shit and take credit for them.. Don't ***** that since you don't have X amount of $$ and X number of employees you can't get anything done.. U4 can't get anything done because they don't even try to do anything. :eek: U4 next service project is when? U4's next what is when?

ret32

I just want to know what I, and others, can do to help U4 move forward. I will start by going to the monthly meetings, but I'm trying to learn what I can do beyond that.
U4's members ARE U4. What the members are willing to do dictates the association's success. Show up, find an area where U4 is lacking (there are plenty) then volunteer to fill a void.

Here is a link to the U4 volunteer page:

http://www.u4wda.org/index.php?p=volunteer

No upcoming service projects...
Activities director position is vacant, we are behind the ball in in this area (as well as many other areas). Land use director position was just recently filled, new director will undoubtedly experience a learning curve.

If U4 wants people to join, and donate, where is the motivation from U4?

(Note: Im not against U4, but, they need to help people, want to help them.)...But, right now. I dont see what U4 does that I could help with.
Agreed. The Public Relations Director position was just recently filled, new director will undoubtedly experience a learning curve. As this comes up to speed, hopefully our communication will improve.

See http://rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=83014. This project is in full swing. Many people have volunteered and gone out and done work on the project. Soon, we will be winding up the project for the season. I will post an update to RME in the near future.

Our former Land Use Director and our Southwest Vice President recently did a different project, also in the Cedar City area. Volunteers weren’t solicited on RME. But members from another member club, with a more focused membership in South, were solicited for volunteers and many showed up to help out.

...If steve was an active member of U4...
Steve said he has been a member for 3 years. That makes his membership active. We always welcome our members becoming MORE active by volunteering to do things. No pre-requisites.

NOTE: check out on the U4 page, more info on NPLD coming soon... haha!
http://www.u4wda.org/index.php?p=events This has been posted on the site since late August. This was also covered more extensively here (http://rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=84570). Many of U4's member clubs were involved in projects all over the state. Nearly all of U4's board members were involved in a member club's NPLD project. U4 acknowledges that although our member clubs did a great job all over the state, as an association, our 2011 NPLD effort wasn't very extensive. Discussions about a more effective 2012 NPLD effort have already begun and efforts to organize it are underway (see below under BLM meeting). Volunteers who think they can help in this area should come to the next meeting or contact a BOD member to express willingness.

Interesting how not one of the U4 BOD jumped on the 'Noob' run like flies on shit, considering how much popularity and traction the 'Noob Run' is gaining.... :-\
U4's role, according to their mission statement, would be the ones organizing/funding this type of event...
Touche and touche again. RME's Noob run is an example of the kind of thing all of U4's member clubs should be engaging in.

U4 should be providing other clubs with the tools necessary to replicate RME's success with this event. Currently, the Activities Director position is vacant, we are behind the ball in this area (as well as many other areas). Land use director position was just recently filled, new director will undoubtedly experience a learning curve. Volunteers who think they can help in this area should come to the next meeting or contact a BOD member to express willingness.

On the other hand, Tacoma is the president of U4. U4 paid for Tacoma to become a Tread Lightly Master Trainer so that we could provide Tread Lightly training to its members and to its member clubs. Although U4 did not formally seek out having Tacoma do a Tread Lightly presentation at the RME Noob Run, and although we acknowledge that there were other individuals on hand that had the necessary credentials, and although U4 did not capitalize on soliciting itself during that opportunity, U4 is grateful that RME was able to benefit from that outlay of U4 funds. And U4 is grateful that our President was invited to participate in that event.

The late Todd Adams, rest his soul, had been very passionate about developing a formal educational program for U4 during his last few months of activity on the board. The RME Noob Run is the kind of thing that would have fit very well with the direction he was taking it. Since his passing last month, U4 has discussed how it can honor Todd by moving forward with his work. Volunteers who think they can help in this area should come to the next meeting or contact a BOD member to express willingness.

I have personally invited many people to come to the meetings and help out...
True. Jack invited me to a meeting. I showed up. And they put me to work. Hopefully I am filling a previous void. There are other voids. Come show up and get put to work. If you can't show up, identify a U4 void you think you can fill and contact a BOD member to discuss your skills and availability.

Jack invited me to this meeting with him. Strengthening U4's relationship with the BLM was discussed. The potential benefits to both parties by so doing were discussed. Statewide coordination of the BLM's NPLD needs were discussed. The BLM identified several resources that they think U4 could utilize to help achieve parts of its mission. The BOD will discuss at the next meeting. Volunteers who think they can help in this area should come to the next meeting or contact a BOD member to express willingness.

You see, since there are so many of these threads it SCREAMS that U4 is not doing what it needs to do to let people know what they can or are doing. If these threads keep coming back that means that U4 is not addressing the core problem that is leading to these threads and needs to stop ignoring the people asking the questions and actually fix some issues ...
Activities director position is vacant, we are behind the ball in this area (as well as many other areas). Land use director position was just recently filled, new director will undoubtedly experience a learning curve. Hopefully land use efforts will increase as he comes up to speed. The Public Relations Director position was just recently filled, new director will undoubtedly experience a learning curve. Hopefully communication will increase as his efforts are implemented. Anything that current, former, or potential members have to offer that can help fill the voids is welcome. Anything that current, former, or potential members have to offer that might help the new directors be successful in their new positions is welcome.

U4 is an association of its members and it's member clubs. U4 cannot succeed without the members and the member clubs stepping up and actively making it succeed. Suggestions are nice. Advice is good. Volunteer time and effort is priceless.

Last edited: