How many of you have a second property?

Have had a couple of homes that we rented out when we moved instead of selling. It became more hassle than I wanted to deal with and we are back to one. This was pre-2008, so we made pretty good bank on the sale. Currently looking at a duplex in Rexburg for one of my boys to stay in while going to school.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
We have a 2nd home in Fruita that we rent out.

I want 10+ acres in the mountains within a couple hours that I could start building a small off-grid getaway cabin on, but the way the economy and jobs are looking that may be awhile. In the meantime, my In-laws have a place in Baja that we try to visit once a year. :D

sixstringsteve

I'm thinking something similar one day. I want to explore the US a bit more to decide where I want to build, but I love the idea of an off-grid cabin.

DAA

Supporting Member
We have 20 acres of sage brush with a house and a shop on it in Nevada. We hang out there sometimes.

Also have 10 acres of pristine pinion and juniper along 40 by Starvation that we've never done anything with. Last time I had it appraised it came in as one of the most expensive 10 acre lots in Duchesne county - it's prime. Haven't even built a road into it yet. But do have an easement to build one right off of 40 when we get around to it. Will probably just have the kids sell that when I die to pay for upkeep on the Nevada property.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

Next question: How would you feel renting a space to RVers?

Most people are familiar with Air Bnb, where you rent your spare room to people for extra income. In the RV world, sites are getting tougher to find these days. With lots of Baby Boomers retiring, limited BLM land in many states, and overcrowded state and national parks, the RV industry is bursting at the seams right now. We're working with a company to do some marketing for them. The idea is that people can rent their property out to RVers to stay for a night or more, just like Air bnb, only you don't need to let them into your house. Basically, you list your property, set your price and terms, and the company takes a percentage of the rental fee to list your property and they handle all the transaction fees. It doesn't even need to be a second property, it could be your RV pad on the side of the house. You wouldn't need sewer, water or electricity, but those would definitely be things that would make your property more attractive and allow you to charge more.

I'm trying to do a bit of market research. As property owners, would something like that appeal? What would your concerns be? What would it take to be appealing to you as a landowner?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I've used AirB&B before, thought it was a neat way to get to know locals & get their input on the area.

We have a long gravel driveway on the side of our current home that's plenty wide for an RV. The gravel may make it a bit challenging for some vehicles? I'd be open to the idea of renting the space out to someone as it doesn't really get used. There's obviously no RV dump, not sure what else an RV'er would need to post up for a week or more. My concerns would be having a 'stranger' messing around on my property, our animals, outbuildings, etc. Also, excessive noise would be a turnoff.

sixstringsteve

Good feedback. I think most RVers would be fine with no dump. They can always take their RV somewhere else to dump it. RVers really only NEED one thing: a place to park.

the rest are nice-to-haves
- nice views
- a regular 15-20amp electric hookup would allow them to run just about everything but their air conditioner. If there were no electrical, most RVers would just run their generator (which could be really annoying if near your house)
- 30 amp hookup would be even better, but we don't expect most properties to have those. Some of the big RVs require 50 amp hookups.
- RV dump
- Wireless internet would always be a plus. Internet at RV parks is an absolute joke.

With so much land being bought by private parties, it's appealing as an RVer/Tiny House dweller to be able to stay on land that is currently inaccessible. It'll be interesting to see which RVers will just want to stay one night on their way to another destination, and which will want to stay there for a week or two, as a base-camp. Here in Utah we have a lot of great BLM land, but it's usually far away from where most people want to play during the day (shopping malls, tourist attractions, etc).

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

You'd set your own price, and you could keep tweaking it 'till you hit the sweet spot. Location and features will affect the price a lot.

At an RV park you can expect to pay $40-60 a night. If you rent a month at a time it's a lower rate, somewhere around $400-600 a month. And you're crammed in a tiny space with other RVers (who are generally the nicest neighbors you could ask for), but you don't exactly get "solitude" or nice views. I don't get how some people call that "camping."

If a place had decent wifi, a 30 amp plug, beautiful views, and it's near some other attractions, I could see it going for more than an RV park. I'd much rather live on someone else's land than in a cramped RV park. I think there will be pros to an RV park too, like the community aspect, laundry, etc.

I have an RV pad at my home with 50 amp power, water, etc. although there isn't really enough space for just anyone to back into as well as my other toys are kindof blocked in by an RV. I'm guessing this would be a no-go for us.

If it were recreational property, for me, there would always be the concern of how it looks when they arrived and left and a way to verify that without actually going up there.

sixstringsteve

Basically, you can run an apartment complex without having to own apartments. These people bring their own apartments (RVs), kitchens, showers, bathrooms, TVs, and you don't have to upkeep any of it.

I don't run the company or have a ton of say there, but we think it'd be reasonable for the landowner to set terms and conditions. For example:

no smoking
55 and older
families only
no pets
no generators between the hours of 8 PM and 10 AM, or whatever

- - - Updated - - -

I have an RV pad at my home with 50 amp power, water, etc. although there isn't really enough space for just anyone to back into as well as my other toys are kindof blocked in by an RV. I'm guessing this would be a no-go for us.

If it were recreational property, for me, there would always be the concern of how it looks when they arrived and left and a way to verify that without actually going up there.

Agreed. We'd like to eventually go with a rating system, where you can see a renter's rating.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Basically, you can run an apartment complex without having to own apartments. These people bring their own apartments (RVs), kitchens, showers, bathrooms, TVs, and you don't have to upkeep any of it.

I don't run the company or have a ton of say there, but we think it'd be reasonable for the landowner to set terms and conditions. For example:

no smoking
55 and older
families only
no pets
no generators between the hours of 8 PM and 10 AM, or whatever

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. We'd like to eventually go with a rating system, where you can see a renter's rating.

Got to watch for those punks under 55 with RV's they aren't anything but trouble. :handlebars::handlebars:

:rofl: