How not to be a spotter.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
While doing Gold Bar and part of Golden Spike last Friday we got to witness how not to get a large group of people over the Gold Bar drop off. While I was waiting for my brothers to show up at the trail head a very large group of Land Cruisers came by. It was a mix of all years of Cruisers from the old style to the newest. There must have been a Cruiser convention going on as well as a classic Bronco convention. Once my brothers showed up I let one of my nephews drive the Commando and we headed up the trail. At the top of Gold bar the Cruiser group was having lunch and I was able to chat with a couple of them who had some very nice old classic Cruisers. One of the old cruisers had a nice Vortec V8 in it with ARBs, nice tires and looked like a fun rig. I wondered how well they would do as a group trying to get back up the big drop as a good portion of the Cruisers were stock rigs. Well after a bit we decided to head on out for dinner. When we got to the drop off the Cruiser group was stuck trying to get one of the open diff newer Cruisers up the wall. It should have been obvious to the trail boss and spotter that this rig was never going to get up the wall but they just kept on trying. The spotter's method for getting them up the wall was an emphatic give it more gas. I wouldn't want to look under that thing after all of the hard metal hits it took trying to fly up the wall. Finally after more than half an hour of beating it up they winched it up. The next rig to go up was the old classic Cruiser with the V8. He engaged the ARBs and gave it a try. Again the spotter told him to gun it. Every time he gunned it he would hit the large boulder at the base of the wall and bounce off. The V8 also made the tires spin too soon and he would just spin out even with lockers. After about 15 minutes of bashing this rig up the hill a bunch of other people started to tell the driver how to get up. With half a dozen spotters telling the poor guy what to do the trail leader got pissed off and told everyone to shut up and listen to the one spotter. Again the spotter told the guy he just needed to go faster which of course didn't work. At that point the trail leader finally asked us if we wanted to go around the group and of course we jumped at the opportunity since they still had 5 stock rigs to get up the hill. My brother and I spent a couple of minutes to fix the rock pile mess at the bottom of the hill and then took our try at the wall. We had three Jeeps. My brother was first in his LJ I lined him up on the obstacle and he walked right up without even chirping a tire. My nephew was next in my Commando and again I lined him up and reminded him to keep the momentum up once he started but not overdo the throttle. He also walked right up the wall without any issue. The last jeep was my nephews XJ that only has a rear locker and he too walked right up. We didn't stick around to see if the group spotter saw what we did differently so that he could help the other remaining rigs up the wall. The lessons we learned from watching this group are first have one spotter but make sure he knows what he is doing, second more gas is not always the best way, and third don't take newby drivers with stock rigs where they don't belong.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I think you should have taken a moment to share your knowledge with the group. It would have prevented continual trail damage from these guys for years to come.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
^ Yup. Pretty hard to hit Snakes on a Saturday and not run into some guy who thinks just a little more gas will get him up Waynes World for sure...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
^ Yup. Pretty hard to hit Snakes on a Saturday and not run into some guy who thinks just a little more gas will get him up Waynes World for sure...

WW is one of those fun ones to crawl up, after a guy like you mentioned.

I guess it is stereotyping, but I've found the guys with the "skinny pedal solves everything" mentality really don't want to listen to any advice. Best to steer clear and try to get away from them.

rondo

rondo
saw the cruisers and broncos in moab this week. funny thing is some of them were built right but so shiny, perfect and flawless it made me think they have never been off road. a couple guys were at the car wash polishing their 'perfect rides' what a joke.
My spotter peeve is 'don't spot someone you don't know unless they ask for help'. Was attempting the entrance to helldorado and its tough. some dude in a lifted JK stopped to watch and was offering me advice. I told him I don't need a spotter and he got annoyed. if I want help i'll ask for it from one of my pals, not a stranger normally.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
funny thing is some of them were built right but so shiny, perfect and flawless it made me think they have never been off road. a couple guys were at the car wash polishing their 'perfect rides' what a joke.

Careful there, nothing says a rig has to be beat to hell to be a "true" off-road rig. I have always taken it as a compliment when people have asked me if my Jeeps have ever seen off-road.:D

Mike.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Gold Bar drop off? Is this the drop going down the dugway into the small canyon before Rusty Nail splits off?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Gold Bar drop off? Is this the drop going down the dugway into the small canyon before Rusty Nail splits off?

Its after the Rusty Nail split if you are heading up the trail. It is dug out quite a bit more than this old picture.

Attachments

• Moab_may05 013.jpg
    Moab_may05 013.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 33

skeptic

Keeping up momentum is very different from giving it more gas. I'm not a spotter, I don't think I have enough experience or know other peoples rides. I'm also the polar opposite of what you describe above. Call it paranoia of breaking things. I try to keep my momentum up (depending on the obstacle of course), but when tires start spinning I ease off the gas. I'm sure there are lots of times when staying in the throttle or gunning it would get me through, but I'd rather back up and try again than have a rapidly spinning tire suddenly grab a rock. So far this has worked for me. Minor damage and breaks here and there, but I've never broke anything bad enough I couldn't drive home without major repairs. A broken axle on the trail with a big obstacle between me and home is my biggest fear when wheeling, I do everything I reasonably can to avoid that.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Don't forget the other half of the equation, the good spotter and the driver who won't listen. Or is that the third, there still is hope for a good spotter and a driver that listens.